Spell Weaver Path

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
predajey
Spell Weaver Path

Post by predajey » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:12 pm

This post is an introduction to the homebrew Spell Weaver Path with hopes that I can get a wider sample of testing, opinions, and experience with the Path. The Path is currently being tested on one table in the early Journeyman range of LP. The main focus is currently on balancing the Spell Weaving Talents and the Merge Spell Talent, but suggestions to improve other areas are encouraged.

For the most part, I'm looking for opinions and experiences that can help develop the Path, fulfilling a personal satisfaction derived from taking the Path from Concept to finished "product".

Conceptual History
I recently was asked by a Player who GMs on another table about specifics to allow a Spellcaster to combine two spells. While the original thought was to simply use Patterncraft (in an attempt to make it more valuable as a Talent), we did some back and forth about how to go about it. I had misunderstood what he was trying to put together, but we explored the different ways to go about it, looking at turning it into a Knack, making a Talent, but in the end, I had settled on creating a Path. While the original requester decided to use the Patterncraft Knack concept, I had continued to flesh out the Path with quite a few new Talents that essentially allowed players to be a faster caster. Full details can be found in this Spell Weaver write up.

Testing and Analysis
A full example of Spell Weaver has been examined at several levels, to include success rates of Spell Weaving (in combat version of combining Spells) with various Spell Circles, varied numbers of Spells, and at different Circles of the base Discipline (assuming all talents are at the same Rank as the Circle). There is a steep drop off as the character attempts more Spells and/or includes higher level Spells. Success rates have been calculated (probably improperly) and recorded in this simple Statistical Collection

The rate of casting is somewhat comparable with a single Discipline Caster when the Spells involved have 0 threads. The real benefit comes when those 0-thread Spells have additional threads tied or when the Spell Weaver combines Spells that have a thread requirement. In 6 rounds, a Spell Weaver can cast 4 spells, while the base Discipline can only cast 3. The combining of Spells allows the Spell Weaver to cast the same Spells available to the base Discipline in fewer rounds, at the cost of having them both triggered simultaneously, rather than allowing one Spells Effects in an earlier round. In cases where encouters do not last longer than 3 or 4 rounds, Spell Weavers have been noted to be much less useful than their base Discipline.

Talent Lists
There is an additional Talent similar to Cobra Strike, but geared towards casting, and Tiger Spring is made available as well, both as Warden Tier Talents (rank 5+ of the Path).

The Master Tier Talents are a little too choice IMO, and Warden Tier Talents are still not concrete, so those are work-in-progress areas. Originally, the Master Tier Talents were included to allow a Spell Weaver to have access to them at the same time that their non-Spell Weaver peers had access, given that the Path delays Discipline development. The end result actually makes it quicker to get to these Talents, so the Master Tier list is likely to change. The Warden Tier Talents are not terrible, but Leadership seems a little out of place with how the Spell Weavers fit into the lore of Earthdawn.
Last edited by predajey on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slimcreeper

Re: Spell Weaver Path

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:34 pm

Interesting idea! For my table it's too crunchy. I've gotten too old to think through all of the implications of mixing-matching spells, and I just do not know the spells well enough.

predajey

Re: Spell Weaver Path

Post by predajey » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:14 am

Here's a better look at success rate comparisons between a Single Discipline character and a Single Discipline Spell Weaver.

Spell Weaver Comparison