Animal companions and barding

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Crusader
Animal companions and barding

Post by Crusader » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:07 am

Hello all!

I had a question; apart from War Horses and War Dogs, no animals seem to have explicit mention of being able to wear barding. I was wondering how feasible it is for other animals to have armor, starting with other canonical mounts such as the thundra beast, down to other animals. Flying animals would probably be weighed down too much, but I can imagine most quadrupeds could at least wear some leather armors? What would you rule to be possible, and what would it cost?

ChrisDDickey

Re: Animal companions and barding

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:20 am

There is nothing offical. The GM is free to make whatever house rules he wants.
If I was inclined to do so I would look at the armor cost/weight rules for windlings and trolls and then extrapolate from there (hum, this mount weights as much as three trolls, so ...)

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:13 am

I just thought of War Horses and War Dogs wearing Armor as fluff.
I wouldn't actually give them real armor. There are 3! Talents + a Talent Knack, which increase the animals stats inclusive the Armor.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:23 pm

Most animals (at least above circle rating 1) already come with their own natural armor that's better than anything barding would provide.
On top of that you get the already mentioned talents that can further boost that armor.

I think that should be enough