Astral Space attacks

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Slimcreeper
Re: Astral Space attacks

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:21 pm

That's my understanding as well.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:25 am

DunKalar wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:22 pm
You can assume that all Adepts have an astral pattern - not just an echo. So even a Gauntlet or Beastmaster can hit an Astral being with their Claws or Fists. The same Magic that allows you to hit Astral Targets protects you from not getting infected with all sort of stuff from touching several kinds of Horrors or their constructs. Otherwise a discipline like the Gauntlet, who is described as being the fist of the elements to free the world of Horrors would be pretty shite at doing their job because they could neither hit an astral Horror that infects the area, nor can they damage a Horror that has some sort of infectious hide without getting a load of payback on top of normal effects all melee like Warriors have to swallow.
Gauntlets get Spirit Strike at warden for this very purpose. Without it they can't attack astral beings

DunKalar

Post by DunKalar » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:29 pm

@ Chris: Well Elements and Elementals are inhabitans of the Netherworlds. There are even Homeplanes for them. As such, Elements in their Earthdawn-manifestation are quite likely to be a product of Astral Space. Thus would make a Gauntlet theoretically privileged to be able to fight astral foes.

All in all I think the "goal" of fighting a Horror should not primarily be based on Talents. Many Horrors are derived as "negative aspects" of humanity, e.g. Tempter, Giftbringer and some such. Bloatforms can be understood as symptoms of greed / gloating habits and some such. So in my experience, fighting against Horrors was much cooler in trying to outwit and outmaneuver them. Many of these Horrors are centuries old and have devastated many Kaers through guile and wit. It should thus be more important to focus on this aspect when designing an encounter than just to go to its location and hit it hard with your dice :D. Playing this way makes the game much more rewarding and worthwhile in my perception and experience.