Looking for some GM advice

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Michael
Looking for some GM advice

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:15 pm

Threads Of Legend players stay out!
Spoiler:
So here is the break down. I don't cheat the players and NPCs can't react or act on information they don't possess vs me as the GM knowing it.

The short of it is that one of the players, Scout/Shaman summoned (willingly) a Mantis Insect spirit. Now, the other shaman in the group is an obsidian that is currently entered the dreaming with Isam Derr in Throal.

This other obsidian shaman had her mind destroyed for 50 years and wandered Haven. Now that the group killed The Mindtrap, she is free. Realistically, is Isam Derr going to see/find out about this other shaman who summoned the bug in 50 years of updates?

And if so, I imagine he will alert the military and everyone else to run the insect shaman down and kill them.

As you can see, this is a big deal that could result in a player's death and having to start over.

What I am looking for is feedback/ "What I would do as a GM"
thanks

ragbasti

Re: Looking for some GM advice

Post by ragbasti » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:28 pm

Spoiler:
I think the hunting down part is absolutely the way to go.
The character essay made very clear what other shamans think of insect spirits and a shaman who has allied with one is probably something they would do anything to destroy.

Now here is the kicker though:
Offer them a resolution: A cleansing of some kind or some obscure ritual to rid themselves of the spirit. This entire thing could become the foundation for a really cool character arc.

Another option would be for the group to make the tough decision to get rid of the other shaman before word gets out, this may solve things in the short term but should definitely be something that will come to haunt them later.