New Discipline: Harriers

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
MadJaymilton
New Discipline: Harriers

Post by MadJaymilton » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:18 am

Seeing there is a lack of Throwing Weapon-focused Disciplines, I created Harriers to fill that gap. Harriers use a constant flurry of thrown weapons to distract their opponents so that others have an easier time bringing them down. Harriers are also social adepts that try to root out the hidden intentions of cultists, spies, or draconic servants.

They are at this Google Drive link. Unfortunately there's been no playtesting on any of this, although I think it's mostly pretty solid mechanically--the Delve talent is the only one that really seems like it would need refining.

ragbasti

Re: New Discipline: Harriers

Post by ragbasti » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:23 am

This looks really cool but there are 2 things in C5 that don't make sense to me:

The Splitting Movement ability:
What benefit do they actually ain from this? Since they are ranged combatants and will never really require splitting movement to perform any of their attacks.

The Karma ability:
That seems very limiting. So a troll can never use this against any other namegiver while windlings gain this against virtually any target? Maybe change it to "Karma on attacks against targets affected by an ability that targets Social defense", since that really plays into their theme.
I know this is somewhat covered in the flavour text but the conditions are too limiting, imo.

MadJaymilton

Post by MadJaymilton » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:46 am

I envision Harriers as being constantly on the move, weaving around the battlefield to get their hits in. As throwing ranges tend to be shorter than missile weapon ranges (even with Long Shot, which doesn't extend throwing ranges as much as missile weapons), it's not always as possible to be as far from the combat as an Archer would be. That's what the Splitting Movement mod is for--starting and ending your turn in relative safety at the edges of your opponent's range, while still getting close enough mid-turn to attack, taunt, and otherwise make yourself look like an appealing target. Since it's something the Harrier should be doing often, making it less punitive seemed a way to go.

You raise a good point about the other power, and I like your suggestion on that front.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:21 am

Nice, but a few suggestions.

I agree with ragbasti's comments. Also...

I don't see the choices of Acting and Wood Carving as artisan talents. What relationship do they have with the discipline? Meanwhile, the karma ritual has them juggling, but they don't get Blade Juggle until 8th circle. One of those artisan skills could be replaced by "Entertainer: Juggling" which I think would be both more thematic and support their karma ritual. Thought should be given to ether replacing the other or modifying elsewhere to make the other more thematic.

Delve and Conversation With both of these being Discipline Talents, then Speak Language needs to be at least a Novice Talent Option. Otherwise it severely limits when these two can be used.

Second Shot is available at 8th circle to Archers, but not until 13th to Harriers? It probably should be in the Warden tier, not Master. Multi-Shot is never available?

Lion Spirit seems like a weak choice for a capstone power. 15th circle powers should be much more powerful and unique. Lion Spirit might be much more appropriate as a lower circle talent.

Speed of Floranuus T'Skrang could also add to their swimming movement rate (other races do not).

Well-Oiled Machine That effect might be a bit much for a knack on a Talent that some already consider overpowered. It has no restrictions so it would be available to troubadours also.

I like the theme a lot, just a few minor suggestions.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:53 pm

with movement rates as they are, splitting movement to move in and out of range will never really be a thing. Even more so, once you add long shot. YoU'd need to add rank 10+ sprint and fluid movement to get anywhere near "get in and out of combat range" distances, where the latter already takes care of splitting movement modifiers.

MadJaymilton

Post by MadJaymilton » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:42 am

OK, this is all good feedback. I'll re-examine over the weekend and tune up some stuff.