AAR: A Visit to the Cliff City of Syrtis [ECR 2M, 0130 GMT April 9, 2022]

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Serespar
AAR: A Visit to the Cliff City of Syrtis [ECR 2M, 0130 GMT April 9, 2022]

Post by Serespar » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:17 pm

LFG: A Visit to the Cliff City of Syrtis
GMT Saturday April 9, 2022 - 01:30 AM
Eastern U.S. Friday, April 8, 2022 - 9:30 PM
Central U.S. Friday, April 8, 2022 - 8:30 PM
Pacific U.S. Friday, April 8, 2022 - 6:30 PM
ECR: 2M
Requestor: Massif Otway - Obsidiman Warrior (First Circle)

Since being found in a closet and waking up from dormancy, Massif has been reacclimating to moving around and being in the world again. He wasn’t sure exactly how much time had passed or what had happened while he slept, but he quickly learned that Throal had reopened and that the Scourge was (mostly) over.

While he doesn’t have any real connection with any non-obsidifolk still living, he was pleasantly surprised to find that the Throalic Merchant House he worked as a caravan guard for when traveling to Throal before the Scourge was still around, and that they had a record of him from way back. Dwarves and all their paper *shakes head fondly*.

House Mikul still operates a trade route from Throal to the Cliff City of Syrtis, and still likes to hire adept guards when they are available. Jin, the dwarf in charge of the House Mikul warehouse Massif spoke with, told him when and where to show up if he wanted to hire on <meet instructions follow>.

Massif has a day or two to wander Throal before the caravan is scheduled to leave. He has been talking about how he would like to see the end of the pilgrimage route that stand above the cliffs of Lalai Gorge near Syrtis (hex 52.11).

Note to Other Players:
You heard a rumor that some dusty obsidiman warrior has an “in” with House Mikul to hire on as a caravan guard. House Mikul has a solid rep as an employer and pays well. Word is the guy wants to travel to someplace near the Cliff City of Syrtis, but that he might be open to making an introduction for you to get a little paying work…

Marbrand will be choosing the party for this adventure. He likes cookies.

Award: Standard for ECL 2M
Alt Award: Half price circle training (to help new PCs get to Circle 2)
Last edited by Serespar on Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ozymandius

Re: LFG: A Visit to the Cliff City of Syrtis [ECR 2M, Schedule TBD]

Post by Ozymandius » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:55 am

Name: Zurgen Zodd
Dwarf Wizard from Throal
Last Played: Never
Circle: ECR 1, Circle 1
Discipline: Wizard 1
Downtime: n/a

A dwarf wizard looking for work as a caravan guard, to gain the practical experience required to become an adventurer.

CaspianSK

Post by CaspianSK » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:31 pm

Name: Tifa the Mouse
Elven Thief from Throal
Last Played: Never
Circle: ECR 1, Circle 1
Discipline: Thief 1

Tifa is looking to get out of Throal for a bit, make some coin, and practice her hunting skills.

predajey

Post by predajey » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:10 am

Name: Nyxallah Praetor
Date of Last Game Played: Mar 26
ECR: 3
Discipline: Seeker (Circle 3)
Notable Abilities: "Murder-hands" and "Murder-feet"
Downtime:
Research: ESR 13 (Step 6 PER + Rank 3 Research + Step 4 Karma)

etherial

Re: LFG: A Visit to the Cliff City of Syrtis [ECR 2M, 0130 GMT April 9, 2022]

Post by etherial » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:19 pm

Name: Erúriel
Last Game Played: 2022-03-26
Effective Circle: 3
Discipline: Cavalier
Quote/Unique: Ride like the wind
Notable Abilities: First Impression, Navigation, Tracking, Wilderness Survival
Downtime: Animal Training

maxmcgloin

Post by maxmcgloin » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:40 pm

Name: Garren Quill http://fasagames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2581
Last Game Played: Never
Effective Circle: 1st
Discipline: Illusionist
Quote/Unique: "You didn't hire me for my muscle."
Notable Abilities: First Impression
Last edited by maxmcgloin on Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serespar

Post by Serespar » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:42 am

Was a fun table with Eruriel, Garren, Massif, Nyx, Tifa and Zurgan guarding a House Mikul caravan traveling to Sosanopa, then on the Barge Folyami along the Serpent River to the Cliff City of Syrtis.

The party traveled to Sosanopa and impressed Caravan Master Lech along the way, defending the wagons against scouts from a hive of Blood Bees that's evidentially moved in near the via Triolvi between Throal and Sosanopa. On the Folyami, the party retrieved a valuable case of healing aids stolen by local water spirits and their crocodile pets, impressing Captain T'Gaits and her crew. In the process, the PCs learned a bit about current happenings up and down river and Massif was able to "visit" the Zirabel liferock.

Lore Correction: The Shivalaha Syrtis in 1429 is hosted in an adult female t'skrang obsessed with music (not the child, that happens later in the main ED timeline but may or may not happen in WM). Pls adjust journals accordingly.

Standard rewards for ECL: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs, standard downtime for time since last played. (Plus journal as applicable)
Alt Rewards: Half price healing aids and half price circle advancement training from House Mikul.

Downtime:
  • Research: ESR 13 (Step 6 PER + Rank 3 Research + Step 4 Karma) [Nyx]
  • Animal Training: ESR 13 (Step 6 PER + Rank 3 + Step 4 Karma)

Marbrand

Re: AAR: A Visit to the Cliff City of Syrtis [ECR 2M, 0130 GMT April 9, 2022]

Post by Marbrand » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:35 pm

Journal of Massif Otway;

The last weeks have been confusing. Writing this out has helped to order my jumbled thoughts. I never considered that I would be unable to return home before the Scourge, and waking up alone after centuries in the dark…

The desire to return home is powerful. I feel it, like a pull at my thoughts that I cannot escape. The bureaucrats of Throal have been surprisingly helpful, although I sense an edge of pity that I do not care for in their behavior. I scraped together some coins and armed myself and barely resisted the urge to simply start walking. The House of Mikul endured the long internment beneath the mountain, and have record of my contracts with them from before my slumber. I have spoken to members of the House and they move caravans to Syrtis regularly and are in need of Adepts to guard them. I have made an offer to recruit a group for the purpose.

I put word out, trading on the positive reputation House Mikul has established, and gathered an assortment of Adepts for the journey. They seem eager to prove themselves and we leave in the morning.

The Caravan Master, Lech, seems competent. There are a number of interesting members of the caravan, although I have not gone out of my way to approach any of them. I am still feeling out this somewhat motley assembly I have gathered, as by the contract I am at least somewhat responsible for them. As long as we make it to Syrtis I will be content, but I must also look to the after as well.

A drop of blue-grey blood smears the edge of this page

We had a spirited encounter with some Blood Bees along the route to Sosanopa. I am led to believe that this is not a normal range for them and perhaps dealing with the nest on the return trip will be warranted. The fight itself was quick and brutal, the bees are not a trifling foe. I found Nyx to be a particularly impressive fighter, perhaps I should spar with her to learn some of this barehanded fighting she uses to such effect.

We arrived at Sosanopa, and will be departing on a rivercraft tomorrow. The journey so far has been interesting. So many details have changed since the Scourge descended, the area we passed through was filled with a vital energy that invigorated me. The attitudes of the people were hopeful instead of the slow grinding fear we faced. The land heals itself. The way the caravan interacted with the people was intriguing, these are no aloof merchants hurrying from city to city grubbing for every silver. They seemed a part of the fabric of this emerging society. Our caravan members seemed to know many of these people by name, engaged with them in meaningful ways. This heartens me.

I spent some time speaking to our contact here, Dockmaster Butoindi. The delights of Sosanopa do not call to me, but a man such as this seems useful to know. When we departed it was aboard some strange construction that I am sure the others may have understood better than I. I simply spent my time quieting the nauseous feeling in my guts at being suspended over so much...water. I hope none of them sensed my discomfit. While I never will feel comfortable traveling this way, after a time I was able to engage with the crew. We learned that slaving is alive and well on this river, although as we learned later it appears that Mikul frowns on the practice – actively. Another point in their favor.

Disconcertingly, we learned that pregnant women are a particular target, and though my imagination fails me I am sure that something terrible is afoot. I wonder if there is anything within my power to do about this heinous state of affairs. The Houses of Fenestral and Barbant were mentioned, possible leads to pursue? Here we again saw the positive way that the House of Mikul interacts with the people along the route, and the strengthening of the social fabric was a balm to my weary soul. Every moment drew us closer to my home, and I found myself distracted by that.

We were distracted by some unpleasantness with some overlarge reptiles, but even that did not seem to register as much as it should have. The pull of my liferock is strong. We are now approaching Syrtis and I am nearly beside myself. Surely the others noticed my eyebrow twitching.

CaspianSK

Post by CaspianSK » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:18 pm

Journal of Tifa the Mouse -
Day 2 of Borrum, 1429 T.H.

So I heard about a job. Guard Duty for a caravan. Pay's good. Only thing I'm worried about is that it will take me away from home for a month or maybe more. Ashling will be ok though. She’s tough and smart, and has a good job as a weaver. I just hope dad doesn’t drink himself into a coma. Might be best if he did though.

The Windling cafe was a warm and inviting place. I’m honestly surprised they let me in. But their sweet tea is really good. The one hiring is apparently an Obsidiman. And I am glad he didn’t push. Maybe he figured out what my skill set is. Doesn’t matter, because he brought me along.

Caravan Master Lech was imposing. But his Orc cook Doug was wonderful to work with. And I never considered some of his techniques before!

Once we got moving, I really got a sense for the importance of the caravan route. At very first I thought it was House Mikul trying to make themselves look good. But that’s not it. These people are clan to them. And would die without these caravans.

Day 7 of Borrum
Oh my passions, that sweet melon! Too bad they’re focused on making liquor out of it. The dried fruit is so much better. But they should use thicker bottles. One bump, and too much broke. We were lucky the blood bees it summoned were easy enough to deal with. Hmm… Maybe they can bait a trap for them with the liquor? Meh. They’re probably be cleaned out before I can get back to them.

Day 12 of Borrum

Finally got to the river. And the big… raft? Boat? That was taking us further along. It’s disconcerting. Piracy seems to happen pretty often, but they have this little “game” they play - snipe off the ship’s flag, and then sink the ship for not having the right flag.

And they’re abducting people and enslaving them. Especially pregnant women. I’m not ok with this.

Day 17 of Borrum

We came across a burned out village today. The riverboat stopped and left some crates of emergency supplies near what’s left. So that the people who are left have something. I helped them with the crates. Someone has to do something. It’s not like the fucking Passions will actually help.

Day 18 of Borrum.

So the river spirits are so pissed that they ordered their pet lotus crocodiles to steal the medical supplies we’re leaving off the boat. Killing those crocs to get the potions back was hard. But on the positive side? Gumbo for days.

Day 19 of Borrum

So this is Syrtis? The tale of the leader of this place is kinda odd. Sounds almost like she’s not really anchored in time… Too bad I don’t really need to know the future.

maxmcgloin

Post by maxmcgloin » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:38 pm

The name's Garren, Circle Two Illusionist.

Another day, another silver. Life in Bartertown was no bargain. Folks say you can buy anything for the right price, and there is a good coin to be made locating what folks want, that's where I came in. Sometimes they are looking for an item, sometimes information, sometimes a person, and each one has its own kind of trouble, and it took skills to suss out what jobs were more trouble than they were with. Being a Circle One Illusionist, my half magic gave me an insight into the difference between the truth and the lies that came together in the client's story. But truth be told no one is perfect and I had made the wrong call and needed to get out of town for a while until things cooled down.

That is where the Obsidiman Massif came in. Word was he had a connection with the Dwarven Trading House Mikul and a lead on a job for caravan guards. I found him sitting in a Wingling coffee shop. After days held up hiding out, I was so hungry I'd have taken the job just for a couple of muffins. Luckily Masivv agreed to hire me along with some other adepts, and pretty soon we were on our way.

I'd not see much of the world, so a trip to the cliff city of Syrstis sounded pretty good. Had I tumbled to how dangerous the trip was going to be, I'd have taken my lumps in Bartertown.

Turned out caravan guards are expected to handle cargo as well. But pretty soon I got the skinny on how to avoid most of the physical labour and planned on a nice vacation. I also scoped out the power structure of the caravan. In our case Leck, a Dwarf, the caravan master was like a ship's captain and the face of the caravan. Cyran, the elf quartermaster was in charge of all the goods, and Maz, the house clerk handle the cash box. But the guy everyone wanted to like them, is the cook, in our case a fella named Dug. If you want to know if you are on the outs with the powers that be, you know by the quality and quantity that cookie dumps in your bowl. As the caravan departed Bartertown, I kept my head down, and my eyes out for the telltale signs of undue attention.

Our first memorable stop was Nettle Bank Farm. I guess the farm was as memorable as the farmer's daughter Frannie and her melons. The biggest juiciest melons I had ever laid my eyes on at the time. The family used the melons to make a melon liquor, with a wonderful aroma. As we departed Nettle Bank farm I considered heading back someday to chat up Frannie and maybe spending my life on the peaceful farm, but deep down I knew that was not the fate life had in store for me.

What we found out later on the road when a crate of sticky liquor broke and leaked inside the wagon was that Blood Bees loved that smell too. Luckily I heard the swarm as they approached and was able to warn the caravan before attacked. The blood bees came in fast and attacked. As the battle ensued, I scurried around the wagon to see my comrades under attack. and barely avoiding being trampled by the cavalier, before unleashing an Ephemeral Bolt. Luckily we managed to snuff out the attack, but again my mind shifted to Frannie's big juicy melons and Nettle Bank Farm. *Given the treat, someone would need to take a for this hive of blood bees. Perhaps Frannie's family will offer a reward to protect the farm from the pests.

After proving our mettle in the fight against the Blood Bees, Dug the cook started serving us up double portions of chow.

Out time with the caravan ended when we arrived at Sosanopa, to meet the riverboat for the rest of our journey to the cliff city of Syrstis. The highlight of the town of Sosanopa was joint known to the cavalier, who was tied up with the orc Chef. In Sosanopa we also heard rumors that slavers were plying their trade heavily along the river, but what was most distressing was we heard pregnant women were of special interest to the slavers. Houses of Fenestral and Barbant seem to be involved.

I don't talk about it much., but I was stolen from my own family as a boy, and while I escaped I was forced to survive on the streets of Bartertown on my own. Nothing tears at my guts more than slavers, but didn't have time to stick my beak into things before we cast off aboard the Folyami, captained by a T'srang named T'gaits. The time on the river was very educational as we gained some insights into how some slaves managed to slip free of their bonds and make it to freedom, but loose lips sink ships, so mums the word on that tale for a more private place. What I will say is my opinion of House Mikul grew more positive.

On the Snake River we had a chance for a first-hand lesson on the evils of slavery as er saw burned down villages, and less obviously the impact on the spiritual health of the river. That became particularly vivid when a bask of Lotus Crocodiles snatched away some cargo, and a group of us volunteered to go ashore and retrieve the cargo. It was a close-run thing, as the devilishly sneaky creatures would dart out of the water, and grab ahold of their targets. My own trousers needed to be replaced after the beast shredded 'em trying to eat me. If you are ever on that stretch of the river, you'll see a pile of croc skulls below a clay memorial erected in honour of two heroic chickens.

Luckily the rest of the trip was peaceful and we had a chance to catch the sights and accompany Massif on his pilgrimage. Not sure I'll ever make it back to the cliff city of Syrstis, but I sure won't forget those wonderful sights.
Last edited by maxmcgloin on Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.