AAR: Clear as Mud, Monday December 27, 2021, 23:00 GMT / 6:00 PM Eastern

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Serespar
AAR: Clear as Mud, Monday December 27, 2021, 23:00 GMT / 6:00 PM Eastern

Post by Serespar » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:47 am

LFG: Clear as Mud
Date/Time: Monday, December 27, 2021
  • 7:00 PM Atlantic
  • 6:00 PM Eastern
  • 5:00 PM Central
  • 3:00 PM Pacific
Difficulty: ECR 2M
Players: Target of five, but all good with four to six
Rewards: Standard for ECR. Alt Reward of Half Price Discipline Training
GM: Drew

~ o ~

Rumor:
While in Throal, you’ve been open to the idea of a little paying work; turns out that whole eating and adventuring thing involves money, who knew? Plus, a little success may be just what you need to build up some good contacts for bigger opportunities later. So…

Anyway, <insert role playing transition appropriate to your character here…>.

… and then you tracked the rumor back to a dwarven lawyer by the name of Vostut; some ancient geezer at the firm of Gajorvi, Jukse & Hvordan. Their office is in the Grand Bazaar, over in Scrivener’s Row. Word is Vostut will be interviewing prospective adept hires-on-a-budget tomorrow at 9:00 am sharp. The old guy is supposed to be kinda a stickler for being on time and not wasting his, so if you want to make the cut and get in on the paying work, you’ll need to keep that in mind. Word on the street is the guy tends to give the nod to well-rounded groups that can just knock out whatever it is he needs; solo adepts are sometimes hired, but with him, the wind seems to blow in favor of folks who work together.

The background digging you did made it sound like the lead had some real potential. The guy and the firm are both supposed to be reasonably legit in a plausible deniability sort of way, and rumor has it that they have contacts all the way up to some really powerful people in Throal. The firm is known for discretion for the clients and paying on time to free lancers.

Since the rumor is they are looking for available Novice adepts, the job lead might be something you could finesse into <insert personal character goals here>…

~ o ~

Link to Background Handout <Updated Dec 24>, Read at your leisure.
Last edited by Serespar on Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

Magnaric

Re: LFG: Clear as Mud, Schedule TBD

Post by Magnaric » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Name: Valoric
Circle: 1
Discipline: Gauntlet
Quote/Unique: "Lawyers eh? Never known a lawyer that didn't have their hands dirty somehow...or that needed a someone to do the things they can't. This could be interesting."
Downtime: Nothing of note yet.

kickmurder

Post by kickmurder » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:22 pm

Name: Vargo
Dwarf Weaponsmith from Hustane in Throal
Last Played: 2021-12-08
Circle: ECR 2, Circle 2
Discipline: Dwarf Weaponsmith
Downtime: Forge Weapon 12 (Rank 2)
Quote: "Mother would be so proud! I survived without tearing my shirt!"

predajey

Post by predajey » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Name: Nyxallah Praetor
Date of Last Game Played: Dec 17
ECR: 1
Discipline: Seeker (Circle 1)
Unique: There is nothing unique about this character. The term "common" applies overwhelmingly.
Downtime:
Nothing yet
Last edited by predajey on Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcrobitschek

Post by marcrobitschek » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:53 pm

Name: Kalandar
Circle 3
Last played: 12/08/21
Discipline: Thief
Down time: working with the guild
Quote: It's all in the wrist.

SkunkD

Re: LFG: Clear as Mud, Monday December 27, 2021, 23:00 GMT / 6:00 PM Eastern

Post by SkunkD » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:46 pm

Name: Melcar
Circle: ECR 2
Last Played: 2021-12-08
Discipline: Swordmaster, 2nd Circle
Downtime: research, rank 3 - d6 +d8
Quote: *flicks weapon, daring you to come at him*

redwraith

Re: LFG: Clear as Mud, Monday December 27, 2021, 23:00 GMT / 6:00 PM Eastern

Post by redwraith » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:25 pm

Name: Redroum
Date of Last Game Played: 2021-12-17
Circle: 3
Discipline: Illusionist
Unique: Do I have a deal for you.
Downtime: Research Rank 3 Step 10 (step 13 with library access)

Take new players over me.

Serespar

Player Awards

Post by Serespar » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:20 am

Thanks so much for the fun table :)

Kalandar, Melcar, Nyx, Redroum, Valoric, and Vargo each receive a standard 2M award of 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs and normal downtime. For those players who wish to write a journal, they receive +5% LP (a total of 840 LP) and +25% SP (a total of 250 SP). TIPs and downtime stay the same.

The adventure also provided half price circle advancement training from trainers in House Mikul. The "value" of the burst of life energy as the new Questor of Jaspree donned the Mantle of the Lady of the Fire Swamp is half price healing aids, should you choose to purchase some. Both alt rewards are only available for this downtime.

Fellow PC Downtime Abilities players can use:
  • Redroum, Research, Rank 3, Standard Value (7 + 3 = 10, 13 with Library Access fee)
  • Vargo, Forge Weapon, Rank 2, Standard Value (7 + 2 + 4 = 13)

~ d

predajey

Re: AAR: Clear as Mud, Monday December 27, 2021, 23:00 GMT / 6:00 PM Eastern

Post by predajey » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:48 pm

Hidden in the third story of the Great Library is a volume of what appears to be a conspiracy. When asked about it, the scribes detail that the Great Library paid way too much for it, and even had to go through relatively unsavory channels compared to other entries. Intrigue sets over you as you dive into a story of ulterior motive, written by one who goes by Nyxallah Praetor.

I traveled to the city of Throal after hearing about a particularly world ending event where a group of Cultists decended on a township to the south. After a fairly quick investigation, it would seem the Adepts who averted this crisis all began their journeys into mastery of their various disciplines in Throal. Seems like as good a place as any, especially considering the task I've been assigned. Here's hoping that Alex is happy with the results.

I ventured into the underground Kaer and heard word of a Lawyer who needed a job done. It was a simple rescue job, so I could probably have done it on my own. Unfortunately, the hiring group was looking for a team. It was probably a good thing that I found just such a team. It was in a bar, after all, so potential wasn't favorable, but the team looked like they'd be willing to venture out for money. I didn't even make a fuss at Vargo carrying a keg with him. Or maybe it was Melcar? I'm so horrible with names. These were the Novice Adepts who were most well known, so they and their company would be my first set of potentials. For now, I shall observe their abilities. There was also another Adept sitting in the corner. Amidst the Hurgl binging, I waved him over to join, and I even brought his presence up to the rest of the team. We agreed to undertake the rescue operation.

The next day, we arrived at a Lawyer's office, along with many solo adventurers. It was clear that the clerk taking names for the job was looking for a team or trying to group other teams together. I urged one of my more extrovert allies to sign us in, but he was speechless, so I informed the clerk of our arrival and as a group. We were given priority over the rest of the applicants. We went inside and some speech artistry was done, not that I was ever one to pay attention to such things. We got directions, with which Valoric was able to guide us to our objective. Or maybe it was Kalandar? I'm horrible with names.

After speaking with random folks along the way, we made it through Bartertown, Juniper Hollow, and Clear Creek Crossing to end at Kampung Gaja. There was a band playing, so I did some dancing and made a few acquaintances, but nothing really lasting. Likely they were looking for a one night relationship. I think it was Valoric or Vargo who started a brawl while the others tried to ply their lexical artistry to obtain more information. I jumped into the brawl as well, emerging to provide my own attempt at insight into the events in the Fire Swamp, but after coming up with nothing, I returned to the brawl. It was so much fun, more so than the dance floor.

In the morning, we left towards the Fire Swamps. Upon arrival, I got to see my potentials aptitude first hand. I'm not sure if they were working as a team intentionally or not, but right off the bat, they formed a front line with a group of Rodents of Unusual Size. This kept our single caster a safe distance from combat and allowed Redroum to give three of us an appearance of beastial form. Without even taking note of my visual aesthetics, I charged forward and began to take down the rodents on the edges of the combat. My personal favorite was punting one of the rodents across the swamp.

We survived and spent a couple days making camp nearby. Afterwards, we found a village where the member of Ueraven, who had his mind set on wedding the girl we were asked to rescue, was in a rather inebriated state, and not from any mind altering substance like liquor or hallucinogens. This was likely a spell. More verbal word play ensued, an area of expertise I'd leave to those better capable. I think it was Redroum and Kalandar this time? I'm horrible with names.

We left for the Fire Swamps once more, this time coming across what appeared to be a tear in the astral plane? But it was here in the physical world. A woman or several women were being constrained, and before we had a chance to rescue her or them, we were once again assailed, this time by muck covered beings. When struck, some of my potentials got stuck in the muck. Once more, I allowed Redroum to cast his illusionary magic on me, then proceeded to remove the opponents around the edge of the accidental front formed by Valoric, Vargo, Kalandar, and Melcar. They survived quite well, even when being blind sided, and they kept the attention of the muckers well enough for me to strike in the most vulnerable places to turn the momentum in our favor. Victory was ours.

We then bore witness to a forced marriage before the rest of the party (or at least one of them) mended the astral rift. This forced the groom, an astral being named Shackles (I think?), back into the Astral Plane, freeing the bride-to-be to become a Questor of Jaspree. The rift left an unsettling residual aura, so we may need to get an expert here to deal with that.

Overall, while the potentials were a bit lacking in damaging their opponents, they still were quite savvy in understanding team dynamics, pulling the front line away from their caster; although, Kalandar and Melcar would benefit from allowing their caster to buff them before leaping into action. Still, they seem like a decent group of candidates. I'll have to watch how they develop in future endeavors. I could recommend them to Ruby, since my sights are pretty much set on Vargo. His expertise on Palisade placement is something that falls within my area of responsibility, and he's a Weaponsmith. Both valuable to my mission.

Magnaric

Re: AAR: Clear as Mud, Monday December 27, 2021, 23:00 GMT / 6:00 PM Eastern

Post by Magnaric » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:08 am

Valoric's Adventure Journal: Clear As Mud

Throal follows a rhythm. Like a body, it has a heartbeat. The large Houses, merchants and nobles alike, pump their economic blood through the streets like arteries, passing through hands over and over again. And when one organ is unhealthy, that blood flow slows down until the source of the blockage is healed. So it is when those rich boyars begin to fight over things. That's where we come in, like little herbs and poultices that heal the wound. Or in some cases, maybe more like a doctor's knife, to cut away diseased flesh so the body can recover without the taint.

Got sick of brawling for scraps, heard of some lawyer that needed help with a recovery job. Sounded simple, and lawyers usually pay well. True this time too. Met some others in a tavern I've been to before. Good mix, seem like capable Adepts. Made sure to reinforce my name for the local Orks and such. Hurlg packs a strong punch, but two tankards is like a kiss on both cheeks. Familiar, and gets the blood flowing. Next morning we met the lawyer.

Two Houses were fighting over some clay works, and one decided to fight dirty. Might have abducted a young girl, maybe to force a marriage, hard to say. Job was to get her back, safe and sound. Simple. About a week's travel outside Throal, past some towns and down the road a ways. The others made for interesting company. Mostly hard, not many soft-hands. One town was building a wall and said their elder was dreaming about bugs, another was mostly T'skrang and had a good bar. Well, the drink was good. Some of the patrons were a bit...touchy. Especially when it comes whether or not their sisters happen to be single or not. I thought I was being polite by being direct. He disagreed. So we sorted it out, then drank together. Good night.

The clay works was as expected. Lots of hard workers and a few rich men profiting from their sweat. Not much changes outside Throal. The husband-to-be, an old lecherous bastard was clearly not concerned about the welfare of the missing girl. I've known men like him. They only care about what they can possess, not taking care of it once they have it. His bodyguards prevented another polite conversation, but that can wait for another day. As my Baba used to say, "Snow thaws slowly in the mountains." Well, Tovarish, you'd be wise to remember that Throal is a cold mountain indeed.

The father of the girl was witless as well, seems he could barely string words together. Maybe the girl would be better off on her own. I was. The maid outside, a shapely woman named Myjrna, moved like a dancer, but her eyes watched everything. I'm betting she's as much a maid as I am a Windling. We spoke, and she confirmed as much without saying anything much at all.

Back in the swamp, we looked for the girl. Oh, the swamp has giant rats that bite hard. I hit harder, but good to note for travellers. Then again, if you're reading this, why are you going into a swamp? No drinks to be had there. But, we found the girl near some weird...magic...doorway? Seemed to be some horrid spirit controlling her as well, preventing her from going back. She tried to stop us, but we put an end to that. Doctor's knife indeed. In the end...I can't say exactly what happened. It seems like three different spirits were fighting over the girl, and in the end, with our push, she chose one of forgiveness. The girl, Christine, also decided not to marry anyone. Good for her.

So there's new Shrine to Jaspree where the doorway was now, and I hear the swamp is cleaner and has healthy life again. I guess she impressed the Passion. She impressed me anyway. More people should choose their own path like she did. Gives me a lot to think about, anyway.

The Passions are fucking odd.