AAR [7H] Rebirth of a Brotherhood of Stone. Friday Dec 17 2330 gmt (18:30 eastern)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

ChrisDDickey
AAR [7H] Rebirth of a Brotherhood of Stone. Friday Dec 17 2330 gmt (18:30 eastern)

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:19 pm

LFG: Laying a Brotherhood of Stone to rest.
GM: Chris D
Organized by: Strats (Serespar), Orlam (Sharkforce), Calina Ravanqnerosicor (Pub)
Difficulty: 7H up to 5 players.
Time: 2021-12-17 @ 2330 gmt Friday (6:30 pm eastern)
Rumor: http://www.fasagames.com/forum/viewtopi ... =58&t=2456

Strats has received reports from a traveler in the Caucavic Mountains (hex 52.03) that the Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Liferock had fallen during the Scourge. Instead of a sacred waterfall, is a cascade of astral pollution and strange, dark waters. Where there had been playful earth elementals, twisted spines of malice glared from the shadows. Where the crown of the liferock should have been was a… …growth… …of solidified corruption that felt long abandoned, like the bones of a meal that had been tossed aside for scavengers to pick.

The Great LIbrary of Throal has expressed particular interest in having a scholarly investigation of the fall of the liferock.

Strats will be gathering companions to help him investigate what happened, help any survivors [there may be surviving elementals who were allies of the fallen liferock], honor the fallen… …and look for clues as to what attacked the liferock. It needs to be sent back to whatever pit it crawled out of.

Reward: Unlocks Brotherhood of Stone and Scholar. Would probably unlock purifier also if anybody wants to unlock that.
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serespar

Re: LFG [7H] Laying a Brotherhood of Stone to rest. Friday Dec 17 2330 gmt (18:30 eastern)

Post by Serespar » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Name: Strata
Date of Last Game Played [ Character ]: "I punched an undead mad scholar-adept tother day..." [ August 30, 2021 ]
Circle: ECR 7, Circle 7
Discipline: Obsidiman Gauntlet ( Journeyman Rank )
Unique: "I punches stuff"
Downtime: Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime;
*Strata just looks at ya*, then says "I punches stuff"

Primary character

predajey

Re: LFG [7H] Laying a Brotherhood of Stone to rest. Friday Dec 17 2330 gmt (18:30 eastern)

Post by predajey » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:21 pm

Name: Calina Ravanqnerosicor

Date of Last Game Played: Aug 31
ECR: 7
Discipline: Wizard (Circle 6)
Unique: Doesn't really talk much... or at all. Understands Obsidispeak, Or'zet, Throalic, Troll, T'Skrang, Sperethiel, Windling, and Throalic Sign Language. Reads and writes in the same verbal languages. Forgets to bring pen and paper quite often.
Downtime:
  • Research: ESR 25, Rank 7 (Rank 7 + Step 8 PER + Step 4 Karma + Step 4 Speed Reading + 1 extra threads [ESR + 2])
    • Library Access increases ESR to 28 for 20 SP (why you need a Research ESR of 28, I'll never know...)
  • Item History: ESR 19, Rank 7 (Rank 7 + Step 8 PER + Step 4 Karma)

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:44 pm

Name: R'edtarian
Date of Last Game Played: 2021-07-24
Circle: 6 ECR7
Discipline: Warrior / Weapon Smith
Unique: The best defense is a great offense.
Downtime: Research Rank 3 Step 9 (step 12 with library access)
Downtime: Item History Rank 3 Step 13
Downtime: Forge Weapon Rank 5 Step 15

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:50 pm

Name: Orlam
Date of Last Game Played: Nov 27
Circle: ECR 6
Discipline: Elementalist 5 (plus dirty cheaty human stuff)
Unique: healing boosts, combat buffs and debuffs, comfort, navigation, and evidence analysis. (downside: he sucks at damage).
Downtime: Item History (Talent, Rating 5, step 16)
Research (Skill, Rating 2, Step 9, +3 available for 20 sp in the Great Library).
Alchemy (Rating 3, Step 10, lab available) (Kelix's Poultice, Booster Potion, Light Crystal)

ChrisDDickey

Re: AAR [7H] Rebirth of a Brotherhood of Stone. Friday Dec 17 2330 gmt (18:30 eastern)

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:44 am

AAR:
Player Rewards:
R'edtarian 20,000lp 1,163sp, 5 TIPs Journal 1,000lp 290.75sp
Strata 20,000lp 1,163sp, 5 TIPs Journal 1,000lp 290.75sp . Strata: Brotherhood of Stone unlock.
Orlam 20,000lp 1,163sp, 5 TIPs Journal 1,000lp 290.75sp . Orlam: Scholar unlock
Calina 20,000lp 1,163sp, 5 TIPs Journal 1,000lp 290.75sp . Calina Ravanqnerosicor: Elementalist.
GM Rewards (Caesar) 2,200 lp, 375 sp, 3 TIPs.

Downtime:
Calina Ravanqnerosicor:
Research: ESR 25, Rank 7 (Rank 7 + Step 8 PER + Step 4 Karma + Step 4 Speed Reading + 1 extra threads [ESR + 2]) Library Access increases ESR to 28 for 20 SP (why you need a Research ESR of 28, I'll never know...)
Item History: ESR 19, Rank 7 (Rank 7 + Step 8 PER + Step 4 Karma)
Redtarian:
Research Rank 3 Step 9 (step 12 with library access)
Item History Rank 3 Step 13
Forge Weapon Rank 5 Step 15
Orlam:
Item History (Talent, Rating 5, step 16)
Research (Skill, Rating 2, Step 9, +3 available for 20 sp in the Great Library).
Alchemy (Rating 3, Step 10, lab available) (Kelix's Poultice, Booster Potion, Light Crystal)
Strata: None

Further Information:
The Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Liferock in the Caucavic Mountains (hex 52.03) had been reported destroyed, but a closer investigation found that while 3/4 of the liferock had been eaten by a crystal entity, a portion of the liferock remained with some survivors. The crystal entity and its constructs were destroyed.
The liferock is sorely damaged, and buried under a layer of corruption. Years of purification and repairs are required before it can even be determined if the liferock can be saved.

Sharkforce

Re: AAR [7H] Rebirth of a Brotherhood of Stone. Friday Dec 17 2330 gmt (18:30 eastern)

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:20 am

Orlam Rolfsom, Journal Entry # 16:

After months of currying favours with various professors, doctors, sages, scribes, and other scholars, I finally found an opportunity to make my move. Strata want to go investigate a liferock he has heard tell of on the far side of the Caucavic Mountains, and it is far enough out of the way that the academics of Throal have yet to catalogue the creatures living in that region since the times before the scourge. Who knows what biological riches may be uncovered after so long, as animals grow without Namegiver interference and seek shelter from the Horrors?

Most importantly, it seems to have stayed below the notice of everyone else that such riches are there to explore. The liferock, called Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah, was not well known even before the scourge which explains why nobody noticed the golden opportunity of a powerful group of adepts going out that way. Truth be told, I might have missed the opportunity myself had I not been approached by Strata for assistance. Joining us as well were Calina and R'edtarian, which made for a well-balanced group capable of dealing with a variety of challenges. We also had along with us a Purifier who preferred not to be mentioned in detail for reasons of their own, as the destination was known to be quite polluted by horror taint.

We made our way up to Sosanopa and along the Serpent until we were south of a pass between the Scythan and Caucavic Mountain ranges. From there we went north through the pass, and followed the edge of the mountains until we reached our destination a little over halfway down the range I would say. The place looked blasted and withered, more than I had ever seen in any other place. The vegetation was withered and dying, mold and mildew, fungus, moss, and lichens all slick with rot, creating a most sour and foul stench. The only wildlife remaining were warped and twisted insects, such as could feed on the rot. I have included some catalogues of them here, but they were not the primary subject of my studies in the region (although as the window was closing, I still made a few notes). Also of note was an outcropping of crystal growing on the top of the liferock as if it were some sort of parasite.

After consultation with a local Air Elemental (which noted just how foul the air was as well, I might add), we found that no spirits were known to live in the area or have knowledge of what had changed the liferock to a den of corruption. The small stream which fell down a high cliff into the valley housing the liferock was known to be poisoned as it approached the liferock, becoming fully toxic some 300 yards or so from the liferock as the crow flies. Also of note, the spirit mentioned that it had seen from afar some creatures patrolling the area.

We would later find these to be Obsidimen transformed into horror constructs filled with rage toward all magicians. A pair of rockworms which seemed less altered by the corruption joined them in attacking us, though thankfully they were unable to cause much harm. The horror constructs (the Purifier indicated they seemed to be some variety of Ehrlgren) were much more capable of causing harm, and Calina and I took a few days to recover from their assault while the Purifier worked at cleansing their corpses and burning them. I was also able to spend some time cataloguing the local wildlife, much to my satisfaction. Strata kept a few gems which seemed part of the process of corrupting them in hopes of tracking the horror that created them, though I think he probably destroyed them later. I advised him that this seemed an unwise thing to keep close, but he seemed insistent; I kept my distance.

Our next step was to bring our little expedition to the liferock itself. Strata expressed a desire to go inside and see what he could find; this also sounded unwise, but Calina and I provided what protective spells we could and sent him in. No sooner had he disappeared into the stone (which I was surprised to find even worked) than a number of other Ehrlgren (of different abilities than the earlier ones; see attached notes) crawled out of the ruins of the stone and launched an assault on the three of us above (the Purifier had gone to the edge of the destroyed lands and was trying to do what they could at the time). Fortunately, the Ehrlgren were poorly suited to face R'edtarian, who tore into them with great ferocity. They seemed quite resistant to my spells, and too mindless to be weakened by taunting, so it was very fortunate we had him with us.

While we were busy above, Strata found some sort of crystal horror below. These horrors are known to be particularly difficult for magicians to deal with I am told, but in any case it was far enough away (and buried in stone) and could not reach us. It did not seem to be particularly able to harm Strata with all the protections layered upon him, so it seems our spells were not wasted. Also still inside were a pair of Ehrlgren, which also were not very effective against Strata.

In the end, the Gauntlet and Warrior prevailed while us magicians played second fiddle. Still, the protective magics we supplied did their work well; neither R'edtarian nor Strata seemed overly injured at the end of the fight (as for myself and Calina, we were doing less well). It seems that the liferock was in fact not fully consumed yet, and still had a spark of life in it (as well as a few Obsidimen inside dreaming troubled dreams). Strata sent for help from Gannagroth, and in the meanwhile I stuck around and guarded the Purifier while conducting the in-depth study of the local animals that I had come to do in the first place. It would have been nice to have a few assistants, but I believe I have gathered enough to present to my fellows. Calina stayed around as well, and seemed to be interested in the purification process. She seemed to be interested in learning Elementalism. Meanwhile, Strata joined the Brothers of Stone at some point. I'm not sure when it happened; he was probably in the liferock at the time, I suppose.

predajey

Post by predajey » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:52 am

An extravagant white leather bound journal contains several chapters detailing Calina Ravanqnerosicor’s journeys. It is written in a rich blue ink and the pages have a gold trim. It is written in Sperethiel.

Chapter 172: The Discovery of a New Language

I suppose the necessity for employment has vanished. I have amassed quite the wealth in my time working in the Great Library, and the best part of all is that silence is part of the literate etiquette. Still, my expertise in the arcane must have been recognized, as one Stratavaraprolagrahayopristanockahgannagroth sought my assistance in a journey to a less than well known life rock beyond the Caucavic Mountain range. I had never heard of this Ash-Shi-Sle-Pah liferock, nor the Purifier who had enlisted my particularly protective pugilistic ally. The poor ignoble could barely pronounce his own name: Kohii Melghraphinelk.

While we had plenty of time to prepare, I had to arrange my matrices. It had to have been several years since I last was exposed to the solar radiation we call sunlight. It was excessively warm when I emerged from the gates of Throal. I could feel my skin crisping as the first symptoms of sunburn began to flare across my face. Nevertheless, I braved these wilds before, and doing so once more would be no difficult task. I didn't particularly need the financial bolstering, but Stratavaraprolagrahayopristanockahgannagroth is an old friend, as was R'edtarian, who was also recruited for the endeavor. To resolve any wilderness survival issues, an Elementalist named Orlam joined us. I recall when I once held reservations against traveling with humans, but these two are well known and, more than tolerable, were enjoyable company and reliable companions. R'edtarian in particular has done quite well as a personal guard.

Our travels took us to Sosanopa, and thankfully our stay there did not involve a tavern. Upon arrival we immediately took to the Serpent River to continue our journey towards the Merrik Valley. Once the Scythan Mountains were in view, we elected to head between them and the Caucavic Mountains. Circumventing the Caucavic, we were led to the Ash-Shi-Sle-Pah Liferick by Stratavaraprolagrahayopristanockahgannagroth. The place was heavily corrupted, and at the advice of Orlam, we departed the corrupted location and conducted a summoning. It would seem the elemental spirit that answered the call was unable to assist us in our task, but rather pointed us back towards the liferock itself. I didn't understand much of what it had to say, but Orlam was able to understand it. I shall have to look into learning this new form of language, particularly if I want to continue my study of languages.

We discovered and ambushed some corrupted Obsidifolk. I seem to have developed an aptitude for combat. These Obsidifolk were obsessed with Orlam and myself, and commonly sought to forcibly remove spells laid upon my comrades. They were accompanied by a couple rockworms, but thanks to Orlam'ss Flame Weapon Spell, my own Giant Size Spell, and the Talents of R'edtarian and Stratavaraprolagrahayopristanockahgannagroth, we were able to subvert them fairly easily. Returning to the liferock, Orlam and I prepared Stratavaraprolagrahayopristanockahgannagroth with several spells to protect him from mystic assault and he merged with the corrupted liferock. Shortly after, as I was attempting to reattune another spell, we were assaulted by more corrupted Obsidifolk. I could barely make out what Stratavaraprolagrahayopristanockahgannagroth had to deal with, but he made the liferock's core a priority, demolishing what seemed to be a living crystal. The rest of us relied on R'edtarian to take care of the Obsidifolk, who had a particular attraction to Orlam and myself, once again. I've had my share of large suitors, so I did my best to avoid these assailants. Surprisingly, they weren't too terribly effective in their attempted battery of my person, although I did receive one good blow, as did Orlam. Once the living crystal was destroyed by Stratavaraprolagrahayopristanockahgannagroth, removing the remaining threat of stone skinned combatants went smoothly. Eventually, we had cleared the area for Kohii to do his work as a purifier.

In the following weeks, I took note of how his purification methods affected the corruption of the elements, first noting the corruption that seemed to pour out of these crystals attached to each of the warped Obsidifolk. Orlam did a study on the local flora and fauna, noting the native species and their typical patterns of life. Stratavaraprolagrahayopristanockahgannagroth elected to stay and protect the liferock until further assistance could arrive. I'm not sure what R'edtarian did. He seemed to have vanished, but then again, I've never been very observant of things that I didn't take much interest in. I was easily and heavily distracted with how we Namegivers interacted with the elements of nature, specifically studying Kohii and Orlam. Before long, I had accumulated enough of a record to present to the Elementalists in Throal, who, after years of denying my entry into the Discipline, finally accepted me as a student of study. I'll have to finish up my Haggle training before I start my Elementalist training. It shouldn't take long, as I've always been a quick study.

Serespar

Post by Serespar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:21 am

From da Journal o’ Strats.

Heard about a liferock in trouble from an obsidiman buddy in Throal; Salazar. He told me he went on a walkabout to check on some liferocks he knew before da Scourge. When he got ta Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah, he saw it was covered in horror gunk like a picked over corpse. Made me MAD, so I got ta thinkin some punchin was in order…

Got together some friends ta check it out; Red da warrior, Calina da Wizard, n Orlem da Elementalist. Sal hooked us up with an Obsidiman Purifier Name o Kohii Melghraphinelk who could shield us from horror gunk n da like, so off we went.

Was a pretty nice trip up ta Sosanopa, then downriver to ‘tween da Scythian and Caucavic Mountains where we cut north to go round da Caucavics to Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah (hex 52.03). Natural beauty everywhere, til we go to da liferock anyway.

SO!

MAD!

She…
She was covered…

In black crystal gunk!

We GOTTA start some punchin!!!!!….

Had my friends sheltered behind me with Red watchin da back and we circled da place, checkin it out all cautious like. Felt this kinda hunter spirit takin over me as I went all feral to get whatever came at da liferock… We looked over da local waterfall n figured out da radius of corruption da horror wuz spewin out. Orlem called up an air spirit who gave us some more info about da ting. Seems it wuz makin goons outta dead obsidiman bodies…. <…SEES… …RED… …MUST… …PUNCH….>

We tracked da horror construct abomination tings ta a choke point in the canyons. Da two Kruhz Erhlgren came at us n Red rocked. Da Kruhz brought along some Rockworms for company. Punched dem too! Felt good. REAL good.

After da fight, we holed up in a sheltered spot outside da corruption and got all healed up n strong again. Ready for MORE PUNCHIN *feral grin*. I hung onto a couple of dem crystal tings da horror used on da obsidifolk he made inta goons; he's not gettin away while I gots dez material link thingees *angry fist punch into opposite palm*

We crept up ta da liferock n da corruption stuff, n I figured out I could still merge with da stone. Dove in. Sensed Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah was still alive n bein slow-eaten by some livin crystal bastard. DOVE DEEP straight for da Crystal Horror whilz a couple of his Robiech Erhlgren goons tried ta run interference. SMASHED da crystal bastard into SPINTERS n got his ass OFF THE LIFEROCK! Did a bit of extra punchin of his goons on da way back out *wipes horror filth off fists as he comes back up from da dive*

Surfaced n saw my buddies hadn’t had an easy time of it while I’d been divin. They held their own tho n kicked tushy on some more Robiech Erhlgren n Kaschrek Erhlgren da Crystal Entity thing had cooked up.

We sifted thru da smashed constructs, performed last rites for the fallen obsidifolk, and gave the lot to the flame, then buried the ash where it could keep Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah company. Once I was sure da horror was dead, crunched it's little crystal toys ta dust. The Crystal Horror had eaten away about 3/4rds of Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah, but she endured. Stone endures. Stone remembers. Stone is STRONG.

Sent runners ta Gannagroth. My brothers will help Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah recover. So so grateful that she lives. Will be spending a lot of time helpin with dat as best I can. Hope Gannagroth is able to bring peace ta da brothers still sheltering inside as she gave so much of herself to protect dem.

Turns out da deep dive ta save the Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah caught the attention of the Brotherhood of Stone, and they have invited me to join 'em. Nothin can make me happier than helpin save the liferocks or my obsidiman brothers. I am honored and deeply touched ta join der ranks.

Will always be grateful to my friends who stood by me as we went ta help da liferock in trouble; I owe ya.

Tanks.

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:52 pm

It has been a surprising peaceful time here in Barsaive as I haven't been recruited to stop an undead plague or giant insects possessing name givers in many months. Strata apparently has taken this quiet time to do some research into life rocks and he says he has found a lost liferock on the far side of the Caucavic Mountains. He has asked me to come along with him to help protect some other adepts on this journey. Orlam and Calina being the additional adepts that will be going on this journey.

The journey will take several weeks and the prospect of spending time debating philosophical matters with Strata and trading lewd stories with Calina holds great appeal... but I better make sure I have a good amount of books to keep myself occupied. Unfortunately I ran out of books and had to go to Calina and ask to borrow some of her books. I ended up trading one form of boredom for another...At least Orlam was able to keep us fed with hot meals rather than stale bread, dried berries and salted meat.

After the long journey and many new sights we arrived at the liferock, Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah, which was corrupted, the air clung to our skin like axel grease does and the smell was of rotten fruits. I've never experienced such a corruption of the land before, it was obvious something was very wrong with this land and possibly the liferock.

Orlam summoned an air elemental once we backed off into the surrounding wilderness where it was clear of corruption and asked it about what had happened. It explained how the land had become corrupted along with a mountain stream, it also indicated that some creatures were moving around the liferock.

We found a well worn path which the creatures must be using and we lay in wait for the patrolling creatures to return. They eventually showed themselves to be two corrupted Obsidimen along with some rockworms. The Obsidimen smelled so badly of corruption that it was difficult to keep from being sick around them. Luckily we had time to prepare before engage with them, Calina along with Orlam cast several spells on Strata and myself to assist in the upcoming combat.

I rushed one of the Obsidimen and quickly hacked it to pieces with the magic strength aiding me. But even as I was hacking the first Obsidiman's arm off the second rushed past me and charged Orlam and Calina. He seemed to be focused only on my companions ignoring Strata as well. This was confusing to me but as Orlam explained after the battle they seemed to be drawn to magic and spellcasters as they were able to corrupt spells they encountered.

After the short but brutal combat we retreated to heal as poor Calina took some heavy blows which left her very injured. It's not a great feeling watching your friends get pummeled when you are meant to protect them.

After a couple of days we returned to the liferock and Strata indicated that he was going to become one with the stone, which apparently means he can merge with the liferock and move through the rock as easily as walking. Calina indicated that it could be dangerous by rolling her eyes and shaking her head at him. It reminded me of a teacher I had in my youth. Strata ignored Calina the same way I used to ignore my former teacher.

Orlam and Calina once again covered Strata in protective magic while Strata started the ritual to merge with the liferock. Once he started to sink into the ground other Obsidimen started to rise from the ground. We were surrounded and I now had both Orlam and Calina to protect by myself. Hopefully these horrors don't have the same taste for Elven blood...

Luckily these Obsidimen weren't as corrupted as the first pair we fought as they didn't radiate corruption and I was able to dispatch one quickly and intercept another. Unfortunately these horrors were just as fixated on spells and spell casters as the first pair. Orlam and Calina were swarmed by the horrors and their claw attacks. Calina was once again knocked around violently while I tried desperately to destroy them before they could badly injure my friends. I was also cursing Strata for leaving me to face them all alone.

I was able to dispatch the monsters after a time and without any lasting injuries to Orlam or Calina. Strata eventually returned from the liferock telling us of a crystal horror and more of the corrupted Obsidimen he fought below ground, I cursed him less after hearing his tale of combat.

Once the horror and it's constructs had been defeated Orlam and Strata joined the purifier in cleansing the liferock. Calina spent all of her time taking notes that would fill several more books and hopefully Strata will end up carrying the additional tomes for her. I quietly set up camp and a look out post to keep watch over them all as they were much more interested in the liferock and cleansing ritual than their own safety.

Strata indicated he was going to stay for some time longer to watch over the recovering liferock and once Orlam along with Calina had their notes completed I escorted them back to the boats for the long journey home. With only more of Calina's research tomes to help pass the time. Maybe I need a hobby...