AAR Infestation at Tassadae Farm 2M: 2021-12-08, 23:59 (7:00 PM EST Wednesday)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

etherial
Re: AAR Infestation at Tassadae Farm 2M: 2021-12-08, 23:59 (7:00 PM EST Wednesday)

Post by etherial » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:34 pm

Being the First of Gahmil, in the 1429th year of the Dwarf Kingdom of Throal
My Dearest Sister:

You have encouraged me all throughout my training to keep a journal of my adventures as an Adept. I confess I do not believe they will be nearly so illustrious as the Elf Sages of Old, but nevertheless, I relent. Far be it from me to use such a lovely book as you have given me in any way but the fulfillment of our relationship and the betterment of your understanding of me.

It is with some amusement I write this entry today, as I have not been in Throal long but encountered an opportunity to travel back downriver, past our village of Clearwater Crossing and down to one Tassadae Farm, wherein the land, having been despoiled by the ravages of the group of Namegivers calling themselves the Scourge, remains in disarray.

I do not venture out of Throal alone, however. Traveling with me is Vargo, a Throalic Dwarf and Weapnsmith; Mirage, a Windling Illusionistl; Melcar, a Human Swordmaster; and Kalandar, another Elf who gladly calls himself a Thief. None of us are seasoned adventurers, indeed Vargo appears to be venturing out of the Halls of Throal for the first time, having only recently been granted the freedom to do so from his Matriarch.

As you know, I personally do not engage in the gastronomic olympics here at the Ghost Pepper Inn and Tavern, but it was with reluctance that I witnessed Melcar subject himself to the humiliating emetic that is hurlg, only to see the results of his futility disgorge themselves all over our Hostess Gran-Gran. I experienced tremendous embarassment second-hand at his debility.

Being the Fourth of Gahmil, I continue my letter:
We have traveled downriver on the noble vessel Kek'tanoz, having negotiated the briefest of stops at Tassadae Dock with its worthy Captain Me'bihato. Fearing for the safety of the vessel, we are to be dropped with a modicum of alacrity, the ship to return and dock only if warmly greeted by our friendly signal.

We explored the abandoned buildings near the docks, witnessing the ruined bodies of a few of the townsfolk that perished most unfortunately in deadly combat against whatever infestation lurked within. As we traveled further, we witnessed a small party of townsfolk carrying a haversack of perishables being waylaid by flying beasts. Whispering words of encouragement to Bellerephon, I had him jump the fence and bring us into direct conflict with the creatures. My allies joined me in battle to save the adults and Kalendar charged on to rescue the two children with the haversack. A tragic sting from the flying creatures incited a rapidly-spreading infection through my system, but the townsfolk had managed to concoct a remedy and were able to revive me.

Following the trail of destruction from the creatures, we navigated to a crepuscular cave. A low mist clung to the slime-covered cave floor and the skeletons of townsfolk clung to the walls, encased in ichor. Investigating the skeletons revealed exit wounds and egg shells consistent with parasitc gestation and xenomorphic nativity. The poor farmers were the fruit that fed the seeds of their destruction!

Deep within the cave lay a pulsating egg sac and three wretched souls trapped within the slime. As the creature birthed itself, tentacles lashed out at us with deadly intent, but we had it surrounded and it was soon dispatched. We put the cave to flame and returned to the village victorious.