AAR [2M] Thivanadir (2021-08-19 @ 2300 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

predajey
AAR [2M] Thivanadir (2021-08-19 @ 2300 GMT)

Post by predajey » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:20 pm

LFG: [2M] Thivanadir
Time: 2021-08-19 @ 2300 GMT (7PM EST)
GM: Pub
Difficulty: 2M

Rumor: With the discovery of Thivanadir, an island used as a Prison in Death’s Sea, King Varulus decreed a group of Adepts make Thivanadir more accessible. Since this location is relatively safe and the only known danger has been dealt with, a group of low Circle Adepts were deemed sufficient; however, we have limited room on the airship, so not everyone will be able to go.

The previous team's journal entries

Alt Reward: Half priced Training

Note: 3-5 Players
Last edited by predajey on Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

kenpui

Re: LFG [2M] Thivanadir

Post by kenpui » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:10 am

Name: Thomas Atoh
Date of Last Game Played: June 21st 2021
Circle: 2
Discipline: Beastmaster
Unique: He can kick stuff as a beastmaster, he's still looking for a beast to tame though.
Downtime: used it to learn how to converse better and to be a circle 2 guy

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:12 pm

Name: Caesar Bonaparte
Date Player last played: July 2nd
ECR: 3
Discipline: Illusionist 3rd Circle - Human.
Quote/Unique: now notice that at no time do any of my fingers leave my hand.
Notable Abilities: Illusion
Downtime: None.

rattleingpython

Post by rattleingpython » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:39 am

Name:Kamishaw Yiabir
Date of Last Game Played: Never
Circle: 1
Discipline: Weaponsmith
Unique: I use a bow not a melee weapon. Wood and plants are the best things to make things out of of.
Downtime: Initial Character outing No Downtime

Munnin2

Post by Munnin2 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:22 am

Name:Bodall
Date Player last played: Circa 1995/1996
CR: 1
Discipline: Archer
Quote/Unique: Pending
Notable Abilities: Awareness, Astral Sight
Downtime: Pending.

abishaij1

Re: LFG [2M] Thivanadir (2021-08-19 @ 2300 GMT)

Post by abishaij1 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 pm

Name: Fenrir
Date of Last Game Played: 6/24/2021
Circle: 2
Discipline: Shaman
Unique: Flight, Magic, Snake.
Downtime: N/A

predajey

Re: LFG [2M] Thivanadir (2021-08-19 @ 2300 GMT)

Post by predajey » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:15 am

AAR: Thivanadir
GM: Pub
ECR: 2
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Bodall: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs
Caesar Bonaparte: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs
Fenrir: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs
Kamishaw Yiabir: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs
Thomas Atoh: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs

Alt Rewards: Half-priced Training

Journals: 40 LP, 50 SP

GM Reward: Calina (13000 LP, 775 SP, 3 TIPs)

Downtime:
[Forge Weapon] Rank 2, step 12

Summary:
The party traveled to Thivanadir in the middle of Death's Sea. They explored the upper levels of the prison located on this island and shut down the device that was disrupting the use of Spell Matrices. Fire Miners now have a new source of True Fire and can station their aircraft on Thivanadir while they are mining. Three scouts were introduced to the denizens of Thivanadir. Several hundred pounds of True Air plummeted into Death's Sea. A schematic of the Spell Matrix Disrupter was crafted by Kamishaw Yiabir.

Spell Matrices can now operate as normal on Thivanadir.
Last edited by predajey on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDDickey

Re: AAR [2M] Thivanadir (2021-08-19 @ 2300 GMT)

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:28 pm

From the journal of Caesar Bonaparte, Human Illusionist of the third circle. 

Word went out that the King of Throal was looking for low circle Adepts to go to Thivanadir to "make it more accessible". I immediately wondered if the King thought his kingdom had too many low circle Adepts and he was looking to thin the herd a bit. His reasoning that a safe port in the middle of the Deaths Sea was desirable is rather suspect in that in order to get to this safe port, one has to travel over the Deaths Sea! His thinking that an extreme southern trade route would promote trade is possibly true, but it seems to me that the primary beneficiary of that will be Travars traders and fire miners. 

However, since I am a loyal Travarian, I have no objection to the kingdom of Throal helping to develop such a trading base in Travars backyard, I agreed to help and urged some other low circle Adepts who were investigating the proclamation to come as well. We spent some time studying maps and reading travelers journals, and despite my urging that waiting (even for months) for an airship going to Travar would be quicker, we set off on foot for the coil river, where we took a riverboat to Travar. From there we managed to talk our way onto a fire mining ship. Within two months of the king's proclamation we arrived in the vicinity of Thivanadir. 

Our sharp eyed lookout spotted the flag that the last group of visitors had constructed, and we approached slowly and carefully. I tried to cast "see the unseen" but found that any attempt to cast spells from my matrix caused visible stress to the matrix. However it turns out "see the unseen" was not necessary, as my "True Sight" allowed me to pierce the illusion surrounding the island and I was able to see it, helping guide the ship into a good landing. 

We talked to the residents of the island, and found that they had mellowed considerably from where the tales that had been going around the last few months indicated. The gates between the different sections of the prison were open and the population was intermingling. The whole prison vibe was now mostly gone, and with it the astral clouding had lightened down from corrupted to tainted. 

Our mission was to make the ex-prison "more accessible". We had several ideas (some of which we had read about in the journals of the previous visitors). Among them were, (a) Deal with spell matrix dampener, (b) Deal with the invisibility. (c) Somehow reduce the extreme turbulence that ships flying over the Deaths Sea face, and (d) Anything else that would promote trade, which would include the building of docking towers and other major construction projects. 

I did Astral Sight tests in various places of the community, and quickly identified two sources of powerful magic. One was coming from above, and the other from below. I deduced that the islands invisibility was probably the result of the magic coming from below, and that the spell matrix dampening was probably coming from above us. We learned that there was a section that used to be the administrative section of the prison further up the mountain, but that was now locked. We decided to start with that. 

There was a doorway that was locked. One of the windlings in the party stuck their hand into the lock and had it mangled a bit when a trap went off. Near the doorway we found metal's and molds that appeared to be what was needed to cast a key. Someone found a recipe that listed the correct ratio of metals. We deduced the correct mold for the key we needed and we mixed the metals and cast a key in the red mold. After we dunked the key in latex several times it engaged the tumblers and unlocked the door. 

We climbed the stairs, noting from old disturbances in the centuries old dust that somebody had apparently used them a few years before. On the next level we found old administrators offices. There we fought 5 seasoned scouts. One was killed, two were rendered inconcouse, and ran away, and one surrendered. The survivors spoke Therian (as do I), and said that the 5 of them were the last survivors from this section, and that they had been eating rats and bugs. He lead us to a well lit room, where several machines fed power to a huge crystal. We examined the machine and saw it was powered by true air. Little of the True Air remained after all these centuries. We removed the fuel source and the machine turned off. After that I could use my spell matrixes with no damage. 

We drew up diagrams of the Spell Matrix Disrupter. Since the others were determined to turn these plans over to the Great Library of Throal, I made some copies for the libraries of Travar. We took the surviving Scouts down to the main prison and introduced them around. 

rattleingpython

Re: AAR [2M] Thivanadir (2021-08-19 @ 2300 GMT)

Post by rattleingpython » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:54 am

From the Journal of Kamishaw Yiabir the windling Weaponsmith:

I was recruited to go to a prison upon the death sea. It took a long time to decide how to accomplish the trip. After much decision we decided to travel by a mix of on foot and by ship to Trevar. Our existence as Adepts made the trip cost very little funds.

We convinced a fire ship to take us there. Due to the high temperature of the death sea at that location. On the way I worked to help keep thing up. Repairing small things around the ship as we traveled.

When we arrived we decided to go up to the magic above. When we arrived at the first problem I tried to use my hand to get a feel for the inside of the strange lock. This activated a trap that kept me from feeling at the inside.

Someone found the reciep and I finished the creation of the reciep before heading up to the area above. We found an area above and faced off which some scouts that didnt know why they were really scouts anymore. They lived off rats.

When we finally defeated them two dead, 1 badly injured, 1 captured and 1 fled. We reached the top and managed to turn off the device preventing spell matrixs from being used. We got a trip back to the capital from the fire ship as thanks. I gave the plans to the library of Thrall