AAR: [3M] Good News... (2021-04-20 @ 23:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Sharkforce
Re: LFG: [3M] Good News... (2021-04-20 @ 23:00 GMT)

Post by Sharkforce » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:02 am

Orlam Rolfsom, Journal Entry # 11: Good News

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I caught wind of an expedition to the Servos on behalf of an alchemist who would be willing to part with the knowledge of crafting Kelix's Poultice. Accompanied by 5 other Adepts, no less. And so, in my foolishness I immediately thought "oh good, it'll be a cakewalk, and a great chance to learn". Shows what I know.

The head of the expedition was one Flitwick Farnsworth. He seemed a decent enough fellow... sensible enough to bring along several Adepts, in any case. Patrique Caduceure (who professed to have the most fantastical of cures for everything under the sun, and a few things above it... none of which sounded like they would work), a Human Troubadour, Redroum Caskhead the First, a Dwarf Illusionist (who also professed to have a cure for everything, all different from Patrique, and all sounding about as effective), Skriblz Forfingers, a very young Beastmaster, Youghdel von Smeshfays, a Windling Sky Raider (and the strongest Windling I have ever heard of, much less seen). Also Orfen, who still refuses to learn any attack spells.

Flitwick's first request was that we subdue some large frogs called jub-jubs so that he could harvest their venom. This sounded straightforward enough; he had brought some rotting meat to bait them out of the water, we waited in ambush, and then three quarters of our group promptly were grasped in the mouths of the creatures as soon as we sprung it. Fortunately, I had picked up a few more pointers from Youghdel regarding my Battle Shout technique along the way, and finally saw some success. My Wood Skin and forged armour held the great beasts' fangs away from me (although they didn't keep me from getting grabbed any more than the others), my spells flew true and either harried or harmed my targets, and I was once again reminded that it really does pay to have some sturdy folk who are expert at wielding a blade. Youghdel and Skriblz took the creatures' assault quite poorly. Frankly, for a moment there I was wondering if we were all going to die, chewed to death by giant venomous frogs.

Skriblz made fast friends with one of the surviving jub-jubs (and frankly I think salvaged our relations with our employer, who seemed quite irked when Youghdel slaughtered an unconscious one before it could be harvested... but with a steady source of the venom, he seemed much more pleased). We started towards our next target, a hive of blood bees. It turns out that the soldiers are quite venomous, with a faster-acting poison than the jub-jubs. The group had invested in a few Kelia's Antidotes before leaving, and they had served us well, but we would end up not needing any more for the bees.

Orfen, Youghdel and I had fun making up names that rhymed with blood bees (mud/crud/bud/etc bees) along the way. Also along the way, our employer directed Youghdel to light the contents of one of his bags on fire, but was perhaps not as clear as he thought he was being. Instead of a smoke that was supposed to drive away the swarming mosquitoes that had been troubling us there was a cloud of intoxicating smoke. It is entirely possible that these two events were related to each other. The smoke did seem to have a calming effect on the local wildlife, as a few jungle cats decided to play with us rather than eat us, an unusual sight.

When we arrived at the hive (healed to varying degrees from our first encounter; I was perfectly fine, most of the rest had some wounds that needed treating), Flitwick fired a smoking arrow that was supposed to calm the hive... but unfortunately missed quite badly. Still, the soldiers came out (which was nice, I imagine if we assaulted the hive directly there would have been more bees) and were dealt with in relatively short order. Their attempts to surround us went poorly, and we were able to isolate and defeat them. My recently-acquired ability to distract enemies worked out quite well, and Patrique even finished off a few bees with his belt knife (which Orfen had gotten around to casting Flameweapon on at some point).

We were in much better spirits after that second battle. Flitwick harvested his venom (and a few other odds and ends, I think) and we returned home safely. Still, the frogs nearly did us in. I imagine young Skriblz will find that her new friend is a most deadly creature.
Last edited by Sharkforce on Sun May 09, 2021 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:28 pm

Bonjour Patrique's Pals,

Monsieur Farworth will help us to know more. Now we know about the Pills, the Potions, AND the Poultices. Expect a full line of poultice soon. Mais, ce n'est pas pour ton derriere.

But nothing is free (but you CAN get 50% off until the end of Doddul on all Caduceure Concoctions), so we needed to assist Monsieur Farworth with some collection. This took into the Servos Jungle where we searched for jub jubs, experimented with new incense for felines, and finally we tracked down the bees. I suspect Monsieur Farnsworth needed the honey.

There were many dangers and much comradery, but far too boisterous for these pages. If you want to hear more be sure to attend one of our upcoming Evening with Patrique engagements coming to a town near you.

More Patrique's Pals issues will be coming soon, but for now I must return to work on more products for my pals.

predajey

Excerpts from Orfen's Journal Entry

Post by predajey » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:05 am

Crammed in a corner and covered in dust is a dense book detailing the travels of Orfen. Amidst the myriad of the Throalic handwriting are a few nuggets of completely irrelevant thoughts from her. It would take a researcher hours just to determine if there is any information worthy of note. The text remains unaltered to maintain its authenticity (Certain terms and names written wrong to keep in character). As you begin reading the entry, a nearby scholar looks at what you're reading, eyebrows raised, and simply says, "Good luck" as they resume reading. It takes about 6 hours to read the entire entry.

"Ooh, a new alchemical recipe? I'M IN!!!"

"We need to get jub-jub venom AND blood bee venom? This couldn't possibly be a healing potion, could it? Seems more like a poison."

"Vralino said these giant frog things were harmless."

"Next thing I knew, I woke up in a cart, upside down and in a very uncomfortable sleeping position, back against the wall, head on the floor, boots next to my face, arms sprawled randomly, and hair everywhere. Not random hair, my hair. Maybe I should cut it? Nah, nobody would recognize me if I did. Those frogs were not harmless!"

"...blood bees, stud bees, dud bees, flood bees. Ooh, flood bees would be the worst..."

Other bits were found amongst the ramblings that were quite entertaining, even though they weren't really relevant to the journey:

"Ow! I've never realized how painful it is to stitch up a laceration without any anesthetics! I've violated my hypocritic oath!"

"PUNCH THEM WITH YOUR FLAMING SWORD, YOUGHDEL!!!"

"THOSE FROGS ARE DIRTY CHEATERS! STUPID LONG ASS TONGUES AND THEIR BITEY VENOMOUS TEETH!"

"I don't think Patrique has ever held a dagger that was on fire before."

"In an instant, Skriblz became a master of the Flaming Fist... with claws! That's like ten times better than the original Flaming Fist fighting style!"

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:26 pm

I fellow potion purveyor has a line on some Kelia's antidotes and poultice, for cheap, like really cheap. So of course I managed to get myself involved in this endeavor. The group was asked by a Flitwick Farworth to acquire some poisons from some of Barsaiv's lovely creatures. The group he hired was Orlan, Orfen, Youghdel(who has some anger issues), Skriblz and Patrique who I haven't meet before. Patrique had the contract with Flitwick to acquire the poisons and Flitwick wanted us to get the poison from some Jubjubs, larger vicious toads, and some giant killer Bees. Why couldn't they just of been normal sized toads and bees?

We headed to a near by wetland in search of these JubJubs, who we baited out with some rotting meat. Once they had a taste of the foul meat we offered they decided they wanted some fresh food, mainly us. I tried my best to prepare our meat shields with some combat buffs but Youghdel proved that his skills are in randomly punching people not fighting toads. He and Skriblz quickly had some issues with the JubJubs and Patrique was armed with a net...yes a net versus huge venomous toads. I was suddenly faced with one of the toads and started to cast some offensive spells and we eventually killed or drove off the JubJubs. The simple/easy job of collecting some poisons had turned into a deadly battle. We spent several days resting while Orfen tried to heal everyone, even those who weren't injured.

Our next stop was a hive of killer bees and for this fight I switch my spells around a little to provide me with some additional fire power since it would seem I would need to do some heavy lifting. This battle went much more smoothly and we were able to quickly dispatch of the bees and collect the poisons. Flitwick was so pleased he offered us a large discount on his wares along with some silver for our trouble. How large a mark up on his potions does he charge to be able to reward us so generously. Maybe I should raise my prices....