AAR: [2M] Pick a Peck of Pumpkin Pie (2021-03-18 @ 23:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

verse86
Re: LFG: [2M] Pick a Peck of Pumpkin Pie (2021-03-18 @ 23:00 GMT)

Post by verse86 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:00 pm

Youghdel, Bronom, Skriblz, Redroum, Keel, and Sobelle: Prepare for pastries, parties, and perhaps a preposterous amount of alliteration...

verse86

Post by verse86 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:48 am

Pick a Peck of Pumpkin Pie
Time: 2021-03-18 @ 23:00 GMT
GM: verse86
Circle: 2
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Character Name:
Bronom: 800 lp, 200 sp, 3 TIPs
Kayapo: 800 lp, 200 sp, 3 TIPs
Keel: 800 lp, 200 sp, 3 TIPs
Redroum Caskhead the First: 800 lp, 175 sp, 3 TIPs, 1 Booster Potion
Skriblz Forfingers: 800 lp, 200 sp, 3 TIPs
Sobelle Shagella: 800 lp, 75 sp, 3 TIPs, 1 Kelia's Antidote, 2 Booster Potions

GM Reward: Thorkell: 124000 lp, 2000 sp, 3 TIPs

Downtime Actions Available:
Redroum Caskhead the First: Research Rank 3 Step 9 (step 12 with library access)

Further Information:
P'itur P'ypur prepares his pumpkin pies to participate in the Pastry Competition. He received a participation trophy. But you got some pickled pepper pies out of it.

Serespar

Post by Serespar » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:38 pm

From the journal of Kayopo

What we think, we become.
What we eat, is tasty.
- Ancient windling philosopher

I joined some friends, both old and new, for the annual pastry festival on Skyreader Island. So many windlings (and other namegivers) at a festival of joyful celebration of food and sweets is a treat to both the spirit and the palette.

Keel the elven skyraider, Bronom the troll Swordmaster, Skriblz the human beastmaster (with her companion, Nez), Redroum the dwarven illusionist, and Sobelle the elven mistress of the hunt (with her companion, Chayton) and I wandered the festival playing games and sampling sweets. I will admit that I approached the festivities with more enthusiasm than skill, but fun was had by all. My companions won numerous ribbons as I cheered them on.

We then ran across a distraught t’skrang whose shipment of pumpkins for his entry into the pie making contest had been sabotaged…

…and a strange enchantment overtook me and my companions…

P’itur P’ypur’s peck of purloined pumpkins had placed him in a pickle!

Slightly sloshed on sugar, we sympathized with the saucy sous-chef and sallied forth.

We ran across ravenous rabbits who had rounded up and ravaged the resources for his recipe.

They penetrated P'itur's posterior with their poison parts!

We curtailed the culinary cottontails, and closed with a climatic coda to their consumption by the creation of clogs from their coats.

The crowing over by a competing contestant yielded a clue as to how the cottontails could have found the components for our cooks contest-entry.

We sought a substitution for the squash in a squalid sward of soil and perceived pumpkin poltergeists who proceeded to pummel us.

Though the guardians of the gourds graced us with graphic gratuitous grievance, we grappled with them to gain our goal.

We turned triumphant as the tussle terminated, and feasted on the finest of fares *burp*

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:13 pm

While in Throal I heard about a festival on Skyreader Island, which is appealing because I'm currently unable to conduct business in Throal at the moment. This festival should be a great opportunity to sell my potions and tonics.

On the journey south I came across a group of adepts from Throal who quickly recognized me and asked me to honor them by joining their traveling group. The journey so far has been safe but having companions will hopefully make the journey even safer and easier. My new companions are a couple of elves Keel skyraider and Sobelle a mistress of the hunt. Joining them are Kayopo a windling shaman, Skriblz a human beastmaster and Bronom a troll swordmaster.

When we arrived at the festival my new companions quickly took advantage of the games and food available. I spent my time analyzing the games to find what the tricks being used to take the commoners coin. Though I was disappointed that there were no fluffy unicorn prizes. I was also able to sell some of my Servos jungle water to some people who wanted help with growing some crops and one poor dwarven lady who wanted some help with hair growth.

In the afternoon a strange T'Skrang baker named P'itur who was claiming his pumpkin shipment was late/missing. The rest of the group were interested in helping P'itur in finding his missing pumpkins. I tried to point out that apples make for a great pie and missing pumpkins aren't that big a deal. The rest of the group didn't listen and we headed out to find this missing wagon. Also it seemed liked some of the party started to talk in a strange dialect. Maybe P'itur has cursed them?

Once we reached the wagon we see that the dastardly villain's of this story are bunnies. Yes bunnies attacked the wagon and have eaten/destroyed the pumpkins. Bronom, Keel and Skriblz approached the wagon and the herd of rabbits, when the rabbits went into a rage and charged us. Apparently these bunnies have poison barbs and teeth which they used to attack us. P'itur was quickly bounced upon and we needed to defend ourselves and this crazy baker.

Once we have defeated the bunnies Skriblz wanted to make some bunny slippers which seemed like a bloody endeavor. I instead spent my time extracting some of the bunny's poison for my tonics and potions. With the wagon of pumpkins being smashed P'itur was very upset and we asked if there was another source of pumpkins nearby. I tried to say there was a farmer at the festival selling apples which he could use to make a pie or a crumble. No was paying any attention to me. They must be cursed or under some type of compulsion for pumpkins.

P'itur told us of a pumpkin patch but it was haunted and maybe cursed. Now I was interested in finding the source of this pumpkin curse. We all headed to the haunted pumpkin patch where Keel, Bronom, and Skriblz entered the patch to collect the needed pumpkins. Once Bronom bent down to collect the first pumpkin it became animated and took a chunk out of his leg. Apparently these pumpkins didn't want to become a pie.

Bronom took several wounds and retreated from the patch while Keel and Skriblz stay in close combat with the monstrous pumpkins. The rest of us notice that these pumpkins were literally planted in the ground so we stayed out of range and attacked them. Eventually we persevered over the pumpkin peril.

Once we returned to Skyreader island with P'itur and his precious pumpkins he rewarded our efforts with some silver. People in the wilds of Barsaive need protecting and are willing to pay me for that protection? This made my trip successful even though I wasn't selling my tonics all day. Maybe I should start a new business Redroum's Adept Protection Services, with a monthly fee that business would pay for protection from all the dangers of Barsaive.

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:16 am

Keel's Journal:

[A letter from Kun'da'lin Iceclaw, found among her parents' effects at the troll moot; written in Sperethiel.]

Dear Mom & Dad,

A couple weeks ago, I traveled down to Skyreader Island with some friends for the annual Pastry Festival. The festival was a lot of fun! Wonderful food, delicious pastries, fun games to participate in, lots of people, and generally a fun time. I went there with Kayapo (a winding shaman) and Scribliz (a human beastmaster), both of whom I knew from previous trips, and a group of their friends, too. In all it was Kayapo, Scribilz, me, along with Bronom (a troll swordmaster), Redroum (dwarf illusionist), and Sobelle (an elf master of the hunt). Quite a diverse group.

The entire island smelled like pure sugar, with a variety of other delicious smells mixed in. Everywhere we went, there was food! Pastries, cakes, tarts, cookies, you name it. Most were sweet, but there were plenty of savory choices, too. And there was a different contest every hour. Everything from pie eating, to storytelling, to bobbing for apples. I joined in a number of the contests, but didn’t do well. Maybe it was all the food, either because I was too full, or I was too interested in what delicacy was on the next table. But we have a lot of fun!

One of the would-be t’skrang pastry sellers, P’itur, was dejected. He’d ordered an entire cartload of pumpkins, but they hadn’t arrived yet, and now it was too late. He still wanted that cartload even if it was too late for the festival itself. He knew there’d be others on the island afterwards who’d happily buy his pies. He asked us to please find the cart and get his pumpkins for him. We agreed, thinking it would be a pleasant way to walk off some of the goodies we’d been eating. P’itur insisted on coming with us.

We got back to the mainland and headed south. Not too far later, we found the pumpkin carts, abandoned with many of the pumpkins smashed, and some rabbit-like creatures eating the rest. But these weren’t just rabbits. They’d didn’t shoo when you yelled and waved your hands. Oh no! Others in the group recognized them as something called a preces, a fierce, carnivorous rabbit with long arms. If they’re carnivorous, why were they eating pumpkins? Sobelle studied the preces and realized that something was wrong with the preces and the entire situation. She believed that someone had set up the preces to attack the cart, and had probably done something — magical perhaps? — to the preces to get them to act abnormally. She also added that preces were poisonous.

There was nothing for it but to attack the preces and kill them all, hoping none bit us and poisoned us. There were more than enough preces to go around, so we all had our hands full for a while, but we put them all down. Sobelle did get poisoned. To help, P’itur pulled a pumpkin pie out of his pack and offered it to our poisoned pal. Puzzled, she accepted the pie and proceeded to eat the entire pastry. The pie prevented the poison from hurting her further. Now that’s a tasty medicine!

As we recovered from the battle, P’itur pulled out some pickled peppers from his pack and passed them around. Puckery, they also helped us recover more quickly from the damage. Another delicious medicine!

P’itur was profoundly sad as he looked over his pulverized pumpkins. We all helped him collect seeds so that he could at least have roasted pumpkin seeds on offer, and perhaps even grow his own for next year.

Kayapo had a perspicacious idea to look for other pumpkin patches nearby. After all, it was harvest season and there were bound to be some pumpkins still in the field. So he flew high up and indeed found a pumpkin patch not too far away. We cleared off the pumpkin cart of dead preces and pummeled pumpkins, and headed towards the patch. We began picking pumpkins, piling them into the cart. But as we watched, some of the pumpkins in the patch began to move. Pumpkins don’t move, we all thought. Then we saw that about three of the pumpkins were really way too big to be normal pumpkins — perhaps as big as 3 yards on a side! There was something badly wrong in this pumpkin patch.

We battled those huge pumpkins, killing them one after the other. These pumpkins were more like horror-pumpkins, with long tentacle like vines that reached out to grab us and squeeze us. Eventually, we defeated them, but it was tough. Bronom really got the worst of that fight.

After recovering, we gathering up as many normal pumpkins as we could and returns with our wagon piled-high with pumpkins. We knew we’d be eating delicious pumpkin pie before long thanks to our new friend P’itur!

My love always,
Kun'da'lin