AAR: [4M] The Girl Who Reached for the Sky (2020-08-10 at 22:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Reyntrannin
AAR: [4M] The Girl Who Reached for the Sky (2020-08-10 at 22:00 GMT)

Post by Reyntrannin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:16 pm

LFG: The Girl Who Reached for the Sky
Time: 2020-08-10 at 22:00 GMT
GM: ReynTrannin
Circle: 4
Difficulty: Medium

Requested by: Thorkell

Rumor: Thorkell has been searching for an appropriate engineer o take over Delloran Highpeaks's work at the Shrine of Chorollis in Clear Creek Crossing. He has finally located a suitable candidate, but it seems that she has taken off with a band of adventurers to seek her fortunes in the Tylon Mountains. A recent report about her expedition has grave news, though. A single member has returned to Throal, badly injured and claimed that the rest of his party was lost. Now the group that funded the expedition wants to send a group of Adepts to try and rescue anyone who may have survived, as well as recover anything that may have been uncovered. This seems like an excellent opportunity to pursue two goals at one time.

Alternate Awards: TBD
Last edited by Reyntrannin on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDDickey

Re: LFG: [4M] The Girl Who Reached for the Sky (2020-08-10 at 22:00 GMT)

Post by ChrisDDickey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:57 pm

Name: Mazor
Date Player last played: Aug 6th.
ECR: 4
Discipline: Beastmaster 4th Circle / Follower of Jaspree - Windling.
Quote/Unique: The night is dark, and full of Horrors.
Notable Abilities: Claw Shape & Pets.
Downtime: Animal Training Rank 3, Step 14.
Secondary character.

verse86

Post by verse86 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:30 pm

Name: Thorkell Gulbrandsen
Date of Last Game Played: 8/6/2020 Rocky Road Turns to River
Circle: Circle 5 (ECR 4)
Discipline: Weaponsmith
Unique: Thorkell brings the downtime activities. Besides that he is a perceptive and tanky troll.
Downtime:
[Forge Weapon] (12+4)
[Item History] (11+4+3)
[Craftsman] (12+4+4) can make mundane items, weapons, and armor
[Research] (10+3)

predajey

Post by predajey » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:44 pm

Name: Vralino Hammer-Shield
Date of Last Game Played:Aug 8
ECR: 5
Discipline: Sword Master...or Spear Master, depending on popular opinion.
Unique: Spears, Surgery, and Socializing...somewhat. I also navigate and alchemate.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:34 pm

Name: Lazulin
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-07-12
ECR: 4
Discipline: Raider (4)
Unique: Combat and combat related accessories
Downtime:

Secondary Character

verse86

Post by verse86 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:44 pm

Vralino, Lazulin, Mazor. Thank you for accompanying me on this journey.

Reyntrannin

AAR

Post by Reyntrannin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:03 am

AAR:

Player Rewards:[/b
Lazulin: 2200 LP 375 SP 3 TIPs
Mazor: 2200 LP 375 SP 3 TIPs
Thorkell: 2200 LP 375 SP 3 TIPs
Vralino: 2200 LP 375 SP 3 TIPs + rare component, Stinger Poison Sac.

GM Reward:
Langren Vogel: 19,000 LP, 900 Sp, 3 TIP's

Downtime Actions Available:
Thorkell
[Forge Weapon] (12+4)
[Item History] (11+4+3)
[Craftsman] (12+4+4) can make mundane items, weapons, and armor
[Research] (10+3)

Further Information:
The Adepts discovered the mine, but it appears to have mostly collapsed. The charts they recovered were damaged heavily, and the new business plans have been scrapped for now.
None of the original scouting group survived.
The engineer Thorkell was hoping ot meet, Ellory, also perished.

Xzandrate

Re: AAR: [4M] The Girl Who Reached for the Sky (2020-08-10 at 22:00 GMT)

Post by Xzandrate » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:19 am

***The intricately covered ice blue journal contains a single blue crystal on the centre, with the simple gold lettering below it 'Lazulin' ***

Page 5

Thorkell needed assistance in retrieving an engineer. I cared not what it was for, I knew only that supporting Thorkell would allow him to grow and be a greater weapon in future battles. We were joined once against by Mazor, and Vralino.

The engineer had been sent to the Tylon Mountains with a party to scout an old mine. There had been reports that they had all perished. One member known as Rannick had fled and left his comrades, he could provide minimal information and we were unable to locate him to gain further insight. He sounds like a coward who was not fit to fight with those he travelled with. He has no place on a battlefield and I will be aware of his name in future engagements.

We maximized our travel time by moving with purpose, we guarded a caravan to Sosanopa, and then accompanied riders returning to Synevir. This meant we spent less time travelling alone in a smaller more vulnerable group, and provided benefit to more of the peoples of Barsaive. After a number of weeks of travel we approached our destination, we encountered what appeared to be an abandoned camp on a small rock outcropping. Mazor flew overhead to scout, and then Vralino ascended the rock to investigate. At this point the small spiked rat things jumped him. These things were repugnant and venomous. The passions were not with us this day, as we struggled in our victory. Thorkell and I succumbed to the poison and passed out. Luckily the rock gave us a suitable place to camp, and we regained our strength and proceeded to the mine.

We moved forward into the cave, Mazor led the way. However the trickery of the light quartz across small strands made it easy to miss the spider webs across the passage and he became entangled. We tried to quickly free him, however the owners of the webs descended upon us. The beast had the advantage as they could bottleneck the passage two abreast and spit from behind, our range was limited and we needed to begin swapping places to maximize melee effort. We eventually defeated the spider, but Vralino was badly injured. We pulled back to the safety of the cave mouth and rested for the evening. The next morning we blazed our way into the cave once again, this time pushing past the various spider webs and finding the scouting party strung up and dead at the back of the cave. This was unfortunate, but seemed to be the will of the Passions.

We fought well, with thought and insight, but the blessing of the Passions was not with us so we struggled for our victories. I feel that I must reflect on my own actions, while as I provided the light of the Point of Triumph to guide us, I could not help us press forward to save those people.

***A great Iced Claw adorns the bottom of the page ***

predajey

Post by predajey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:50 am

The following is a recollection from Vralino Hammer-Shield, a 15 year old Ork girl who grew up avoiding society. At this point, she has found value in a small circle of friends and has even begun networking socially for jobs. The text remains unaltered to maintain its authenticity (Certain terms and names written wrong to keep in character). It is written in Or'zet.

Thorkell's got another job for us! Well, I suppose he has a job for us? He's searching for an engineer to head up the rebuilding of Clear Creek Crossings. We started at a bar to find out more information about where this engineer was. Apparently she went on an adventure with a group. Her trek took her to the other side of the Servos Jungle. This is the farthest I've ever traveled from Throal, so it'll be fun! To help get us there, Mazor (or maybe it was Lazulin, I was still recovering from a night of drinking) suggested we offer our services to guard a caravan heading to Sosanopa. I worked my magic and got us employed. It didn't pay much, barely enough to cover the rations expenses, but at least it was uneventful.

When we got to the Tylon Mountains, we found a campsite in the foothills. It wasn't abandoned, though. There were several Stingers, and they had an extremely potent poison. Lazulin and Thorkell took the worst of it. After the fight, I did what I could to patch them up. I used all my physician's supplies, and probably most of Mazor's. We took a few days to recover, and were able to proceed deeper into the Tylon Mountain range with our injuries completely healed.

Our next stop was at the mine where the engineer Ellory was supposed to be. Not far into the cave, Mazor got caught in a web. Then a bunch of spiders came after us. Surprisingly, he was still hard to hit, even entangled in the web, but they were spitting venom at us! I stayed in front as long as I could, but we had to start shuffling to get everyone into the fight. I was hurting afterwards. Mazor had a few more physician supplies, so I was able to patch myself up. We spent the day camping outside so I could heal up.

The next day, we reached the back of the cave to find Ellory. I was able to determine she had died the day before. That's got to be debilitating for Thorkell. First Dalloran and now Ellory. Maybe I should take up engineering. I could do the job for him!

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:24 am

From the journal of Mazor of the Deep Servos.

A Mr Garlind approached some of us, and asked us to look into what happened to an expedition he had financed to the Tylon mountains. Apparently only one member of it had returned, and that person had not given a very cogent report of what had happened. Attacked by monsters, but no details of what sort of monsters. He wanted us to find out what happened to the party, rescue any survivors, and complete the survey they were undertaking. Thorkell Gulbrandsen (Weaponsmith) was especially interested in that one of the party members, a human woman named Elorin was one of the people he was considering to take over the job of remodeling the shrine of Chorollis in Clear Creek Crossing. Joining Thorkell and myself were Vralino Hammer-Shield, (Spearmaster) and Lazulin (Raider). 

The Tylon mountains are on the far side of the Servos. The others preferred not to cross it, so we hired on as caravan guards as far as Sossanopa, and rode with some others for another week to the town of Synevir, before striking south on our own for another week or so. 

We arrived at the place where the prior expedition last made camp, and fought 4 stingers, whose poisons did much damage. We camped for three days after the battle, but Thorkell still had wounds when we finally pressed on. At the reported site of the mine we spied a cave entrance, 7 foot tall, and wide enough for two trolls to pass each other. Outside it we found a shard of a two handed sword, Thorkell said the blade was ancient, at least 3 centuries old, but that it had been broken less than 2 months prior. We assume it is a relic from the prior expedition's fate. Thorkell also declaired the cave entrance to be a mine gone to seed, very old, and in dire need of reshoring with new timbers. We entered and I walked right into a spiders web, where we were attacked by 4 Giant Weaver Spiders. I was pretty useless, since I could neither move nor break free. I was affected by a paralytic poison, but the Horn Needle I had just bought proved it's worth already and I soon shook it off. I was still unable to escape the web until after the others had killed the spiders and were able to free me. 

We left the cave for the night, and in the morning resumed our explorations of it. In the back, we found the previous party all trussed up as spider food. It seems like the spiders only needed to eat infrequently, and had been keeping some alive until it was time to eat them. The last survivor had apparently died of dehydration just a few hours before. So sad. 

There was no sign of living crystal in the parts of the mine that we were able to access, and none of us would have recognized True Earth if we had stubbed our toe on it, so we were unable to report hte presence of ether. However there were several cave-ins that we were unable to progress past, so it is possible that the inaccessible parts of the cave still hold the minerals Garlind is searching for.