Greetings and Salutations!

Forum for play-by-post Earthdawn games

Moderator:etherial

Karhald
Greetings and Salutations!

Post by Karhald » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:48 am

Hello everyone, I was referred here by Josh from FASA Earthdawn team via Facebook group.

Are there any Earthdawn play by post games going on, recruiting, or is there interest in a game?

Slimcreeper

Re: Greetings and Salutations!

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am

You know, I was going to try to get in on the Westmarches game, but I'm having a really hard time finding one that works with my schedule, so yes, I would be interested in playing (but not running) in a PbP. I can post pretty regular.

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am
You know, I was going to try to get in on the Westmarches game, but I'm having a really hard time finding one that works with my schedule, so yes, I would be interested in playing (but not running) in a PbP. I can post pretty regular.
All sessions are scheduled by player request. When would you like a Westmarches Session to happen?

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:06 pm

It's not you guys, it's me. Scheduling a block of several hours is tough right now - the studio is keeping me pretty busy - but I can take a few minutes to post something every few days. I'm hoping things will settle out by the end of the year, though.

Karhald

Post by Karhald » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 am

I have the same problem, in that I don't have time to set aside for a session. Play by Post is my only option, as I can set aside a few minutes every day for a game or two, but I cannot set aside a couple of hours for a session.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Are you able to run it?

Karhald

Post by Karhald » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:25 am

Unfortunatly, I haven't played ED in 20 years, need to buy the 4e books, and am already running a couple of game from other systems, while managing full time work, family, and grad school.

Was hoping to just be a player this time.

Karhald

Post by Karhald » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:07 am

Tell you what slimcreeper: I've been fiddling about with the dice roller over on rpgcrossing, and I think with some creative dice tags, I can manually roll. can't just type Roll step 15 and instantly throw d20 and d6, plus factor in exploding dice, which makes me sad...

So, while the dice mechanic is clunky, something could be set up I think, I'm going to buy the PDF books (are they still on sale? I"ll go check, with credit card in hand.) and maybe this winter I'll put something together. It won't be big, maybe I'll only limit it to 2 or 3 players, just to keep it light.

Play by post is SLOW! I would only post once a week at the most, as the GM, open roleplay is highly encouraged, as well as creativity and language exploration.

Also, haven't played ED in 20 years, and no longer have any of my old books (donated them to a friend ages ago when I moved to another country)

If you're interested, let me know, and I'll start mulling over a mini-campaign for just a couple of players, and see what happens.

I really wish ED was more popular, it's such a fun system with original classes, though the Step system got a bit clunky at high circles. Has that been streamlined in 4e? Guess I'll find out with the PDFs

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:11 pm

The Step System is still there, but the success Table has been replaced with a flat “every 5 over the target number you roll, you gain an extra success.” This was then supported throughout the game by giving extra damage or extra bonuses. I find it to be a lot smoother.

Jamohn

Post by Jamohn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 pm

I run some PBP on rpol.com, but both my games are full.
Yes, PBP is very slow but I have some of the same issues, although for me it's more about wife aggro and trying to balance family and games.
So, for me, PBP is a better option, although I'd rather do a roll20 game that can do more with less time. :(