Love and Cheshires.

Tell us about your campaign!
ChrisDDickey

Love and Cheshires.

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:21 am

Old Cusa looks at the gathered youngsters. Today your fathers and older brothers are going out in the umiak to hunt whales. This reminds me of a hunting trip of a sort that I went on as a young man. 

It was January of 1880 in England, though that made no difference to the weather in the Gruv. We had set up the Faraday Faraway office in Ft. Alice.  In addition  to the Hulk and Professor Blaine, we now had a clerk and an accountant. We all took turns at the reception desk.  Our first major customer was Mrs Middlestone (Lady Jeddigs) who was a naturalist of great fame for her research in  the Gruv. 

She had reports of a Cheshire breeding  ground. Cheshire are named for the famous Lewis Carrol cat, but the joke is that instead of it disappearing behind it's smile, you tend to disappear behind it's smile. Cheshire are 5 foot long lizards with huge teeth and a tiger stripe pattern. They are solitary ambush hunters, hiding in shrubbery and pouncing upon their prey. They occasionally took Saurids or Terrestrials. The breeding grounds she told us of was in the foothills of the gladstone mountains, about 3 days north of Saints of Westminster workhouse. She was told about the breeding grounds by members of the "Still Waters" tribe of plains saurids. She wanted detailed reports of Cheshire mating habits, with samples and measurements. We took along incubator parts in case we got an opportunity to take some fertilized eggs. 

We made some preparations and took the morning train to Saints of Westminster. Upon the way there were two strange occurrences. The train made an emergency stop, and when we looked we saw a massive golden scaled creature as big as an elephant laying across the tracks. It seemed quite happy laying upon the tracks, and the train crew were unable to persuade it to move using either the trains whistle nor by shooting over it's head. I figured out that it liked the heat that the metal rails had been soaking up in the morning sun, and so summoned a water spirit and asked it to rain upon the Gangit, which it amused the spirit to do. The Gangit was less amused to have his nap interrupted, and looked with consternation at this whole big plain in dry sunshine, and this tiny little cloud directly above itself, raining on it. It grumbled, but it decided to move. 

Just as we were deciding that the problem was solved, some of the others noticed some creatures hiding in the grass not far away. As soon as they noticed that they had been spotted, 8 large Owlbeasts broke cover and ran for the train. Owlbeasts look a bit like owls. Quite cute actually. except that they are larger than most men and have a limited ability to glide. They also have razor sharp claws and leeth. The beasts ignored us and the train crew who were all out in front of the train dealing with the Gangit up until we started shooting at them, when one, and then another got diverted into attacking us. Instead all the rest ran for the train, where they quickly started wrenching loose any items they could. One managed to wrench off the brake lever, which the engineer assured us had been bolted on very solidly indeed. He said that he would have sworn that a troll could not have wrenched it loose! It was all that the Faraday crew and the train crew could do to drop two of these creatures. 

Three of the creatures assaulted the empty locomotive, while two jumped on top of the first passenger car and 2 more pushed into the passenger car. We later learned that creatures did not appear to be specifically targeting the passengers, but several passengers were injured quite severely simply by being between these creatures and something they wanted. After a half minute of intensive looting, the ones still upon their feet scrambled up on top of the train and used the height to glide some distance away. They took with them as much stolen gear as each could carry. Among their haul was: The trains brake lever, the engineers stool, a rifle, a crate (contents unknown), and a clockwork gyroscope (quite valuable), along with other things that we did not inventory. It was bizarre, because I have never heard of any creature that stole such stuff.

Note: remember, animal talk. Also when we have a chance, look into getting a contact who obtains animals for zoos. Also look into export/import (luckily we know lawyers). Look into selling the two owlbeasts. Two owlbeasts. 350 + 350 + 100 = 800 + journal. 

ChrisDDickey

Re: Love and Cheshires.

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:12 pm

Old Cusa continues his story.

I talked to the Gangit a grumpy beast but with a certain charm. He did not admit to taking orders from anybody to block the train, nor to working with the Owlbeasts. While I was doing that the two captive Owlbeasts woke up and escaped. The train crew took several hours to check over the train to make sure it was safe, but the train was moving again in time to arrive at The Saints of Westminster before full dark. After dinner we met a character named Benjamin Resnick who worked at the powder mill. He took us to a Speak Easy Bar for a very nice evening, which ended when the authorities raided the place, which was no problem since everybody ran in different directions and they were so indecisive as to who to follow that they did not succeed in following anybody that we knew. 

We wanted to ask about transporting dangerous animals via railroad, and so went to talk to Miss Rioghnach MacPherson switchyard supervisor and got the details, which is that we could. 

We set out and made good time. As we approached our survey area we met a group of Saurid who told us that we were about to enter Spidersilk Shroud territory, and that we would not be welcome there. When asked, they said that they were Spiderskilk Shroud themselves. They kept telling us that we are going the wrong direction. They finally convince us to wait while they get some Elders who can talk to us. They then left us, which gave Alvin the opportunity to take his horse and quickly ride ahead to scout. He came upon a most curious lake. On the one hand, he described it as vast, but on the other hand, said it was only several acres (I would never describe a mere several acres as being "vast"). The lake meemed completely frozen. It seems to have frozen almost instantaneously, since some fish were frozen in the ice near shore. The tops of some stone buildings were jutting out of the center of the lake. He chopped the ice a bit, and the ice chips  melted normally and tasted normal. 

I spent the time studying a huge flying dinosaur, which I later learned was called a Storkasaur. As soon as Alvin returned, we were set upon by a group of Spidersilk Shroud warriors.

AP 350 + 200 + 100 =650 + journal.