Languages

Discussion of GMing 1879. Warning: Here there be spoilers!
Slimcreeper
Languages

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:16 pm

So talk to me about Semitic and afroasiatc languages. Are Akkadian, Babylonian and Samsut interchangeable?

Also, I’m thinking of considering Ancient Khemetic a jargon-intensive dialect of ancient Egyptian. Almost unintelligible because every third word references an obscure magic theoretical concept.

Andrew1879

Re: Languages

Post by Andrew1879 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:38 pm

No, they're not. Samsut is based loosely on Akkadian, with enough Babylonian and Hittite and other Semitic and Afro-Asiatic bits and pieces to make it confusing. Think of it as Yiddish, having started with more or less a Germanic base, but having added so much from Hebrew and all the lands the Ashkenazi spread to and wandered through. We've also deliberately moshed in a few bits and pieces just for grins and to make the grammar fun, like making Samsut an agglutinative language, to the point the Germans are like, now just hold on there a moment. I should post the names of the characters from the Samsut demo scenario, as it's a joke that only the GM is likely to get all of.

I'm good with Khemetic being counted as a separate language. Could end up making it a kind of lingua franca among ceremonial magicians, the sort who either follow ancient Khemetic traditions or appropriate heavily from them.

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:44 pm

The Harbatim squad from the city-state of Eridu:
Nawru-Eepishu ("combat lawyer"): Ana-Tatu-Awum (“person of purchasable argument”)
Harbatu-Diyaylu (scout): Pasatu-Giydim (“Chafes Nerves”)
Harbatu-Nappilu ("recovery engineer"): Hahaymu-elaArayhu-Hasayhu (“I’d Explain, But It Would Take Too Long”)
Sipir-Abu-Nilkitu (priest-technician): Saraymu-Mahrawum (“Try Talking First”)
Sipir-Asu-Nikiltu (medical technician): Attamanu-isSaklim (“You’re All Idiots”)
Tarayshlamtu (undead controller): Annu-issuMasiktu (“Has a Bad Feeling About This”)
Reedu Sergeant (equiv. to Colour Sergeant): Atayru-Siybutu-Zusumu (“I’m Getting Too Old For This Shit”)

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:51 pm

The player character pregens:
Ban-Hatu-Namutum, Harbatu-Diyaylu (Scout): makes bad jokes
Kazaybu-Dabaynum, Harbatu-Litbanu (Explorer): lies convincingly
Anayhu-issiLa-Hassum, Harbatu-Nappilu (Engineer): exhausted by idiots
Idu-Ayyu-Ashlu, Reedu (Soldier) (Sheydu-Nishiytu): Right. What’s a Cubit?
Nakaylu-issiZalayqu, Sipir-Abu-Nikiltu (Priest-Technician): fascinated by shiny things
Esemtum, Sipir-Asu-Nikiltu (Medical Technician): Bones
Nipsu-issiSanum-Alpum, Tarayshlamtu (Abd-salamtu controller): smells like two dead oxen

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:52 am

Cool cool

tulaembry

Post by tulaembry » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:26 am

Akkadian Connection #3 will come out in parallel with the Samsut book.
free games

adamusa

Post by adamusa » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:51 am

This article really piqued my curiosity. I want to learn more about this topic after reading it. retro bowl

Faraon23

Post by Faraon23 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:19 am

Hi friends, I regularly read articles on Valhalla Vitality https://valhallavitality.com/blog/the-b ... -on-health , and I recently came across an interesting article about testosterone oral pills. This material helped me understand how this drug can positively affect my athletic performance. I recommend everyone to read it! I hope you find this recommendation helpful

Chris23

Post by Chris23 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:54 pm

Je recommande vivement ce service professionnel de réparation de laveuse pour tout problème d'appareil électroménager que vous pourriez avoir. Cela m'a définitivement évité les tracas et les dépenses liés à l'achat d'une nouvelle machine à laver. Le technicien a été rapide et a diagnostiqué le problème rapidement. Il disposait de toutes les pièces nécessaires et, en un rien de temps, mon lave-linge fonctionnait comme s'il était neuf. Le plus beau, c'est que leur prix était très raisonnable.

Amber813

Post by Amber813 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:44 pm

Looking for some expert tips on moving company seo Don't forget the power of customer reviews—they're not just testimonials but SEO boosts too! And, of course, build those backlinks like you're constructing a fortress. Quality over quantity, folks!
What SEO tricks have worked wonders for your moving business?