Saurids on Earth

Information and discussion for players of the game. No spoilers here please!
Slimcreeper
Saurids on Earth

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 am

The title of the post is the question. Are there saurids on Earth? Will there be? Can there be?

ChrisDDickey

Re: Saurids on Earth

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:12 am

I can't find the reference right now, but I recall Andrew saying that the British government, knowing the importance that the Saurids put on environmentalism, are determined to keep the Saurids from learning how polluted Earth is, and not allowing any Earth spirits to talk to any Saurid Shaman. So the answer would be, not if the British government can prevent it. On the other hand, there is smuggling back and forth, and maybe the British can't prevent it. But smuggling a Saurid Shaman to Earth and back would probably be considered treason rather than mere smuggling.

On the third hand, if 1879 is the future world of Earthdawn, and there were T'Skrang in previous ages... Maybe Earth native T'Skrang, Obsidimen and Windlings are just waiting for the next mana level to be achieved. I believe in Shadowrun there were a few years between the first Elves and Dwarves and the first Orcs and Trolls.

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:34 am

Canonically, the Saurids have not yet crossed over to Earth. There are questions as to whether the Rabbit Hole will allow them to, or if, like the Hat, they are forbidden from entry. There's also the diplomatic considerations, and the spiritual ones. There has not been a Saurid on Earth in living memory. Having a nonhuman species present brings up theological questions that the world's religions are still grappling with. Having a representative of a nonhuman power on Earth brings up questions of recognition. If the Saurids are treated as visiting diplomats, then their government is being recognized as legitimate by the nation they're visiting. The Europeans are colonial powers, but have learned to be more circumspect in how they treat people with a previous claim to the land. The first visit of Saurids to Earth will be a momentous occasion. It will also allow the Saurids to confirm for themselves that Earthers are Machine People, which may step up the war between the two massively. The Saurids will see Earthers as a direct threat to their existence; many of them already do, but haven't had evidence from the Earther homeworld to confirm it. The first party of Saurids to come back from Earth and say, yes, it's as bad as we feared, and maybe worse, will set events in motion in a Very Large Way.

Obsidimen, windlings, and t'skrang are not of human origin like Boojums. A further rise in mana level will not bring them out the way it did orks and trolls in SR. Also, if there's a Liferock that hasn't been stripmined out of existence, it hasn't Awakened yet. As far as windlings, if anybody knows what happened to them at the end of the Fourth World, nobody's talking about it.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:26 pm

That’s the kind of meaty lore dump I come to fasa for😁

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:00 pm

I can hardly believe they would not have tried to bring at least one on earth since 'first contact'; whether willingly or a captured Saurid.

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:46 pm

Nobody said they haven't tried. They just haven't succeeded. For a variety of reasons. Have you read the saga of the Hat and the Lieutenants Calamitous?

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:42 am

I mean I'm sure Victoria would put some pressure to have a couple saurids as pet; much better than corgis!

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:52 pm

I don’t know - Queen Victoria was a master of pushing the levers of international power. If she is attended by a Saurid it would be for a very deliberate purpose.

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:53 pm

This is a woman who, like the current Queen, chooses her jewelry to send subtle messages. She does nothing without a purpose. And in the game world at least she's a better person than to keep sentient beings as pets. The real Victoria? When presented with the daughter of an African chief as a gift by an explorer, she declared the woman a princess, adopted her, and had her brought up as her goddaughter (see Sara Forbes Bonetta, and yes, I'm eliding a lot there).