Noble Armada 3e Beta Questions

Discussion about the Noble Armada 3e space combat miniatures game rules.
Bogie
Noble Armada 3e Beta Questions

Post by Bogie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:42 pm

Hi there! This topic will cover all the basic questions from the Noble Armada 3e Beta book.

Miniatures are available now at the shop:
FASA Games Shop

Ship Readouts are going to be coming soon and will be available for free download.
Todd Bogenrief
Noble Armada Line Developer, U18 Rules Guru

Bellicose

Re: Noble Armada 3e Beta Questions

Post by Bellicose » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi there. I'm very interested in this new version of the game coming out. I have just a few questions. I have the 1st edition rules, as well as the A Call To Arms version. How is movement handled? Also, in the 1st edition rulebook, there was a section for building new ships or modifying old ones, was this retained in this version? Are fighters and carriers going to be present? I'm sure I'll think of more. Thank you.

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi there!

Movement is probably more similar to ACTA than it is to the original version of Noble Armada. We didn't use hex maps, just open movement. The main difference is that we enhanced the role of the fleet commander. Ships are ordered to move at certain ratings (full stop, tactical, cruise, or flank) and can move in a range within that speed order calculated by how powerful the engines are and the rating. So I fast ship moving at flank speed would move between 16-21 cm. It has to move in that range.

There is a section in the book for modifying ships. Building completely new ones will likely be tackled in a future supplement. The book was starting to get large.

Rules for fighters and carriers are presented in the book.

If you had older versions, you can still use all your old models too!
Todd Bogenrief

Bellicose

Post by Bellicose » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Sounds good. I like the sound of the command rules, brings a little something different to the table. I have the miniatures for most of the fleets, including the Kurgan and vuldrok. So the book will come out in January, and the ssds will be online?

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Yup we are still on schedule for a January release (PDF). Printing time will depend on the printer's schedule but hopefully physical books will be shipping in February or March sometime. Sooner if we can work it out with the printer.

The ship readouts will be in the book and online as well.
Todd Bogenrief

Bellicose

Post by Bellicose » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:30 pm

Hey, just a few more random questions. January is so far away. What sort of mechanic is shooting done with? Dependent on the crew quality score like holistic version 1, or just a function of the weapon trait like ACTA? Are there going to be all the different marine types? I'll restrain myself with just one more, are psychics going to be included? I would assume a supplement with the kurgans and vuldrok would depend on popularity of first book.

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Bellicose wrote:What sort of mechanic is shooting done with? Dependent on the crew quality score like holistic version 1
There are a couple of type of rolls in the game, but pretty similar to 1e. Based off of crew quality with a modifier for weapon type.
Bellicose wrote:Are there going to be all the different marine types?
Yes. In the core book there are standard and elite, but we''ve got some special marine types in mind for future supplements.
Bellicose wrote:I'll restrain myself with just one more, are psychics going to be included?
Yes.
Bellicose wrote:I would assume a supplement with the kurgans and vuldrok would depend on popularity of first book.
Current product list is the core book plus House supplements. If everything is rocking at that point we'll see what we can do. :)
Todd Bogenrief

Bellicose

Post by Bellicose » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:48 am

Bogie, I have ask another question or three. So while I have been aware of the Fading Suns RPG, that has never been much of my flavor of game. Then I recently got Ferefly the game, which I have surprisingly enjoyed. my question is this, and forgive me because I think it might have been answered somewhere else. In version 1, the game was set up to be almost an add on game to the Fading Suns RPG, where your character could be a member of the crew, and his/her traits be reflected. So if your character was a gunner for a frigate, that particular gun didnt use the ship crew quality score, it used my character's trait. Also my character could end up on a three man escape pod if need be, ect. Does V3 have that? I guess I ask because pairing those two game along with ship building rules would really open up a lot of possibilities. In my mind the crew of my free trader, the glow worm class freighter Serendipity travels the known worlds, taking on odd jobs like stealing artifacts from nobles or outrunning the inquisition. Just random thoughts from a tired mind, who needs to go to sleep. Thank you.

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:01 pm

It does indeed, we have a chapter devoted to using your Fading Suns character in Noble Armada. Also, from my own game table using Noble Armada rules for ship skirmishes works out very well (such as a PC ship vs. a pirate or two, etc).

It is kind of tied to the Fading Suns Revised rules though. I am not sure how it will integrate with whatever new version of the rules comes out from Ulisses but I will probably write up a conversion anyways. :)
Todd Bogenrief

Bellicose

Post by Bellicose » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:46 pm

Sounds excellent. Though I wasn't aware that fading Suns was getting a rewrite. When is that due? I may have to dip my toes in that as well.