Windling Spellcaster (Elementalist) + Astral Sight

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Belenus
Windling Spellcaster (Elementalist) + Astral Sight

Post by Belenus » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:39 pm

I know some questions regarding this racial ability were asked several times, but I stumbled across a rule in the Players Guide, which I never noticed before:
Players Guide p. 121 wrote:A character may not spend Karma on a talent that is not part of his Discipline. This includes talents available as a racial ability—like a windling’s Astral Sight—learned through Versatility or granted by a magical item or other effect.
  1. Normally a Windling may not use Karma on Astral Sight learned and enhanced as his racial ability. It still works as the talent though and inflicts strain aswell.
  2. If the Windling choses to become a Nethermancer, it automatically learns Astral Sight and the racial ability becomes obsolete (Several groups houserule, that they get a +1 Bonus on this talent as compensation).
  3. So what if the Windling becomes a Scout instead? The Scout has Astral Sight as a discipline talent at circle 6.
    1. Can you use Karma at circle 1 on Astral Sight, since this is part of the Discipline or do you have to wait until circle 6 to do so?
    2. Do you have to learn the discipline talent for further circle improvement or does the racial ability become the discipline talent? (Since the racial ability was enhanced as a Novice Talent and the Discipline Talent is a journeyman Talent, are you lucky enough to get to enhance it at the lower costs? Or do you have to pay the higher costs afterwards?)
  4. And what about Windling Elementalists? They can learn Astral Sight as a Talent Option, therefor it is part of its Discipline. So can the Windling use Karma without learning the Talent Option?

Sharkforce

Re: Windling Spellcaster (Elementalist) + Astral Sight

Post by Sharkforce » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:08 pm

1) yup.

2) sounds right.

3.1) no. you must wait until you learn it from a discipline.

3.2) barring a house rule, you now have two copies of astral sight. the more expensive one is the discipline talent, and presuming you are not Using All Talents To Advance you must advance that more expensive copy to increase your circle. I would consider it a reasonable house rule to treat it like an optional talent from a different discipline becoming a discipline talent (that is, the windling astral sight ranks would become scout astral sight ranks and you would use the scout increased cost from that point forward but still keep the benefit of lower price paid earlier), but that is a house rule.

4) no. if they want to spend karma, they must learn it from the discipline. on the plus side, they would get astral sight without needing to use up a talent option slot.