Mystic Paths and "Transferring Talent Options"

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Rondragos
Mystic Paths and "Transferring Talent Options"

Post by Rondragos » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:04 pm

Hello! I searched the Forum but I didn't see any discussion of this.
Is there a way of "transferring" Discipline Talent Options to a later learned Path and freeing this Talent Option up, as it would be the case if I had a Talent Option that a later learned Discipline got as Discipline Talent?

The Question is raised, as my Circle 8 Wizard/Circle 7 Elementalist thinks of becoming a Scholar and while reading the book I noticed That there are only 2 possible Journeyman Talent Options of the Scholar that I don't have as a Talent Option for my disciplines (Took Item History, Read/Write, Speak Language and Book Memory as Wizard Talent Options and added Arcane Mutterings as Elementalist). It feels like a lot of missed possibilites.

A similiar problem (though more theoretical) rose while reading the Purifier - It is easy as an Elemantlist to acquire (accidentally) most of the Journeyman Talent Options of the Purifier before even attempting to join the Path, leading to only 2 or 3 Talents not yet learned within 4 ranks of Path Progression.

So is there an (official) possibility of Transferring Talent Options or perhaps an official addition to expand the Talent Option lists of the paths?

Sharkforce

Re: Mystic Paths and "Transferring Talent Options"

Post by Sharkforce » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:33 pm

(I don't represent the company, but I *am* confident in my answer).

nothing official. you are of course free to rule in your home games however you wish.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:20 pm

You still could spend lp and learn the talent anew as a Scholar.
As soon as you rose the "new" talent to the same rank as the old one, it becomes free and you can learn a new one.
But the lp will be lost ofcourse.

Edit: This is no official rule, just a suggestion how you could handle it, based on Talent Option <-> Discipline Talent and Talent Option -> Versatitly Talent
Last edited by Belenus on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panda

Post by Panda » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:47 pm

Greetings,

You cannot spend more Legend Points and learn a talent again through your Path or a new Discipline, having it replace things later on. That's not a thing. This is something only for Versatility and a result of how Discipline talents interact with it.

There is no shifting talent options around between your Disciplines and Paths. Where you learned them is where you learned them. There's numerous reasons for this, from the obscene complexity in trying to explain how it happens, bookkeeping and how the associated costs shift, it leads to too many edge cases to deal with, and it invites ways to abuse Legend Point spending.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:41 am

well, there's your official answer. Panda literally wrote the book (or at least, a significant portion of it, and the parts he didn't write he was probably involved in other ways) when it comes to the current edition of earthdawn.

gazlaack

Post by gazlaack » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:53 pm

Panda wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:47 pm
Greetings,

You cannot spend more Legend Points and learn a talent again through your Path or a new Discipline, having it replace things later on. That's not a thing. This is something only for Versatility and a result of how Discipline talents interact with it.

There is no shifting talent options around between your Disciplines and Paths. Where you learned them is where you learned them. There's numerous reasons for this, from the obscene complexity in trying to explain how it happens, bookkeeping and how the associated costs shift, it leads to too many edge cases to deal with, and it invites ways to abuse Legend Point spending.
In ED4, for optionnal talent who became disciplinary in other, we can find this
If a character has learned a Talent Option that is a Discipline Talent for a new
Discipline, that talent becomes a Discipline Talent as soon as the character qualifies to
learn it from the new Discipline. From then on they use the Legend Point cost for the
new Discipline. Until then it is treated as a Talent Option for the old Discipline. Once it
becomes a Discipline Talent, the Talent Option slot is freed up, and the character may
learn a new Talent Option from the old Discipline
p457

This was alway the rules?

Panda

Post by Panda » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:01 pm

I don't understand this question, but it wasn't the original question posed.

Rondragos

Post by Rondragos » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:04 am

Thanks for the answers. I totally understand not adding another ruling for some edge cases. So I have no official backing in convincing my gm to give me a method to do it in one way or another.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:51 pm

Belenus wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:20 pm
You still could spend lp and learn the talent anew as a Scholar.
As soon as you rose the "new" talent to the same rank as the old one, it becomes free and you can learn a new one.
But the lp will be lost ofcourse.

Edit: This is no official rule, just a suggestion how you could handle it, based on Talent Option <-> Discipline Talent and Talent Option -> Versatitly Talent
Just as mentioned, this is no official rule for Talent Options, but you could still use this as base for a discussion with your gm. Afterall you will have lost all the Legend Points spent in this Talent Option by learning and enhancing it anew. This could be seen as enough compensation for freeing up the slot.
Players Guide p.459 Versatility wrote: When a human character learns a new Discipline for which he already knows one or more talents through Versatility, he must relearn those talents
and purchase Rank 1 in each—he is considered to not know these talents for the purpose of learning a new Discipline. The Legend Point cost is determined as normal, based on his current Disciplines.
Over time, the character will repurchase all Talent Ranks up to the Rank he acquired through Versatility. Once he has done so, he may learn a new talent through Versatility; effectively that Versatility “slot” is freed up for re-use. Until that point, the character essentially knows the same talent at two different Ranks, and players should differentiate between them on their Character Sheet. A character who knows the same talent at two different Ranks may use either the Versatility or the Discipline talent.

Leigh Keegan

Post by Leigh Keegan » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:52 pm

The only viable solution I can think of, is if the character has run out of talent choices, they may choose a talent option from any of their Paths/Disciplines they have unlocked but not selected (yet).

Any thoughts or better ideas?