Mystic Paths Cover Art

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
FLal KTan
Mystic Paths Cover Art

Post by FLal KTan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:34 pm

This is not a huge thing here, I'm just wondering... Anyone have an idea of what is depicted in the cover art on the Mystic Paths book? It looks awesome, and if it isn't anything specific that's fine, but it would be really cool if it did.

Sharkforce

Re: Mystic Paths Cover Art

Post by Sharkforce » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:16 pm

most probably an obsidiman gauntlet using body control (their talent that improves their unarmed strike damage) in combination with deliberate assault, which includes this descriptive text:

"The adept concentrates and patiently waits for the perfect moment to attack; glowing mystic symbols appear on their weapon or form unique to each adept. For example, an adept may write a personal mantra in runes, or an obsidiman may use a symbol representative of their Liferock. As more time passes, more symbols decorate the weapon."

Panda

Post by Panda » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Greetings,

Sharkforce is very close and only omitting they are also using Pattern Manifestation, their Thirteenth Circle ability. I wanted the cover to be a character you can legitimalely make using powers they have and how they can appear. The biggest conceit from that to play is they aren't wearing armor, while the adept would typically be decked out in the heaviest armor they can find. This was because I wanted the powers and character to be the focus, rather than getting lost in the gear. Also, it creates a stark, but vibrant image.

While the detail is mostly lost, the background is the Poison Forest outside of Jerris among an ashfall. It's easier to see in the full art, but I don't expect anyone to suss that out without knowing going into it. It's a bit of a very subtle hint.

It was my first cover to direct and I may be overly fond of it because of that, but it came out pretty much exactly how I wanted, and Sarayu was fantastic. They also did the art for Iopos: Lair of Deceit which is excellent.

Hopefully this answers everything.

Best regards,

Morgan

burbigo

Post by burbigo » Mon May 18, 2020 7:53 am

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer this, I think you resumed everything now !