Gauntlet and Defensive Posture

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Spader
Gauntlet and Defensive Posture

Post by Spader » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm building an npc and I want to explore the new Gauntlet discipline. It's a powerful npc. I made it 9th circle.

I see in the warden options he has access to Defensive Posture. This talent only works with other talents that grants bonus to Physical Defense.
In the case of the Gauntlet, I've seen only one talent that qualifies: Maneuver. But since the whole concept of the Gauntlet is to make extra effort to loose initiative, it makes the use of Maneuver quite irrelevant and Defensive Posture useless. Unless there's something I did not figured out. And that's why I'm addressing this forum.

Sharkforce

Re: Gauntlet and Defensive Posture

Post by Sharkforce » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:19 pm

I don't have the time just now to go look for talents that increase physical defence that the gauntlet might use to see if there are others, but Maneuver does not require winning initiative. you're thinking of Anticipate Blow.

Spader

Re: Gauntlet and Defensive Posture

Post by Spader » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Sharkforce wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:19 pm
Maneuver does not require winning initiative.
You're right. But the bonus to PD last for the remaining of current round. So, it's still useful for the bonus to your attack, but since you're pretty much the last one to act, it doesn't matter you Physical Defense, no more opponent will attack you that round, unless you manage your init score to act after the main boss, but just before its minions...