Book binding (softcover)

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Golgo408
Book binding (softcover)

Post by Golgo408 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 pm

I just received my copy of earthdawn softcover the pages are already falling out any suggestions I really like the setting but I wanna use the book without fear of falling apart .

PiXeL01

Re: Book binding (softcover)

Post by PiXeL01 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 pm

My solution was to print out the PDFs and divide them into smaller tomes. ( PG into three books: Creation & Talents/skills, Magic, Combat & the rest. GMG into two books: Rules, Creatures)
We reached this point after both our Players' Guide copies started falling apart. The books are simply too massive for the sort of binding used by Fasa

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:51 am

Man, that really sucks ...

I'm afraid all my suggestions are likely going to result in some sad results.

1) Look around online, you can find instruction on how to glue-bind books at home. You'd have to cut off the existing exterior spine, and it's going to look a hot mess, but it'd likely stay in one piece.

2) Cut off the spine and the portion of the page folds, then use a high-quality hole punch to place the loose pages in a binder. You're very liable to lose text, though.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:03 am

I have the same problem with my Player's Guide, and I haven't even been able to use it in an actual game yet.

Golgo408

Post by Golgo408 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks for the replies I contacted FASA they are gonna send another but I'm worried it's gonna happen again . I like the PDF idea . Wish I would of gotten in in the Kickstarter for a hard bound .

etherial

Post by etherial » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:26 pm

My game group had four softcover players' guides and while there was some cover loosening, no pages have fallen out. We played every week for a year and a half.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 pm

I've found some suggestions for having them spiral-bound at an office supply store, but haven't looked into it.

etherial

Post by etherial » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Slimcreeper wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 pm
I've found some suggestions for having them spiral-bound at an office supply store, but haven't looked into it.
I was able to do it with my softcover ED2 books and they came out very nicely. I'm a little concerned about the depth of the book, though. Make sure you have someone who really knows what they're doing handle it, otherwise the spiral will be going through the text in the middle pages of the book.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 am

Were you able to do it with the existing spine in place, or did you have to cut it off? Since you've got some practical experience, might be good for you to lay out as much of your experience as possible.

etherial

Post by etherial » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:27 pm

The Undying wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 am
Were you able to do it with the existing spine in place, or did you have to cut it off? Since you've got some practical experience, might be good for you to lay out as much of your experience as possible.
The existing spine had to be cut off. The spiral binding would render the book unopenable otherwise. I imagine it's technically possible to add a spiral binding to ED4PG without removing the existing spine, but the cover is probably going to come unglued anway, so eventually it too will become a problem.

I went to the local office supply store, gave them $20, and they told me to come back Tuesday. I asked them to laminate the front and back covers and rebind the whole thing using a coil binding (which is apparently the technical term). ED2 came out fine. No complaints whatsoever. I loved being able to lay the whole thing flat so much that I went back a week later and had them do ED2C as well so that they matched. ED2C was miscut and had some hanging chads on the top of the pages and the narrowest of margins on the pages in the center of the book.

The backpack the books were in was stolen, so I can't comment on their condition now, but they lasted just fine for the five years I had them with me while spiral bound.