need a name

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
kevsurp
need a name

Post by kevsurp » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:11 pm

So Fellow Gms i trying to come up with a cult name for a group who worship the crystal entities but cann't think of any atm.

So i came here to see what you guys could come up with to help me out

thanks
kevin

JetBlackJoe

Re: need a name

Post by JetBlackJoe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:29 am

Who are they other than Crystal Entity worshipers? How many, which race(s), where do they live, how do they operate?
"Mind over Body. Body over Mind."
- Verron Vittraxi, Wizard Extraordinaire

ManDrake

Post by ManDrake » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Also some details about the Crystal Entity itself might be helpful as well. Are you thinking standard crystal entity, or are you going with something more exotic. I ran an Kaer exploration mission once where the all the light quartz of the Kaer had been taken over by crystal entities. Took the players forever to figure out where they were being attacked from. But there are other interesting choices. Like they can inhabit ice as well as crystals, maybe some ice based minions might be an interesting route to go. I also setup an adventure that used corrupted blood charms to give the crystals namegiver minions, because their lack of mobility makes them slightly easier than most horrors to take out and decreases their effective range. Or are you going a variant of the Ago’astia Raisers of Ustrect route? Either way, to throw off players I've always had them slightly movable. Cultists throwing them onto a wagon to escape the players makes things a lot more challenging. But it can be tracked at least. I debated a variant that used Crystal Platemail armor as it's body, that could walk around like a namegiver, but that made them way too mobile. But maybe using Earth Surfing, if that's still available might be an interesting movement choice, though a couple of porters might be sufficient.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:22 pm

I would use "Shining One" to refer to the entity. So...

Children of the Shining One
Shining One's Chosen

Something along those lines.

(Edit to add because I didn't realize it until later): "Shining One" is actually an interesting choice, because a part of the elven Wheel of Life philosophy talks about the "Citadel of the Shining Ones" and is a bit stealth as a result. That's admittedly kind of obscure (I only got it as a bit of 'fridge logic' after the fact), but it can still work with proper setup or context.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:28 pm

The Darkness in the Light
The Light Shadows
The Bent Light
The Dying Light
The Light in the Darkness

ManDrake

Post by ManDrake » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:47 pm

Names with things related to shard are also good choices. Hope of the Broken Shard and things like that. It also invokes previous Earthdawn storylines, which I find is sometimes good to mislead players so they are chasing the wrong kinds of conclusions using out of game knowledge. Something about a crystal eye or something along those lines would also be good. Orb related names as well would be nice ways to go, Orb of the One Truth would be a good cult related name. Pop a followers, friends, children in front of it, and you've got what you need. Anything to cast doubt on the actual intent. Just using that name alone, I'm think of crystal entity that specializes in illusions, that tries to lure truth seeking Illusionists to their doom by tricking them into following them. Maybe event tricking them into believe that it's a phantasm, so that they can be corrupted by it. That would be a very character specific villain, definitely a different kind of crystal entity. It transforms a Minor Horror into a much more dangerous and long lasting foe for the players.

kevsurp

Post by kevsurp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:51 pm

the group is currently in a iron mine in the thunder mtns. they were hire by one of the trading houses in travar to see why they haven't recive any ore in a few weeks. they found the mine appear to be abandon and after exploring the mine they found a cave in with a foot sticking out of it and hear a faint tapping sound behind it. So they spent a few days clearing the cave in and found 8 miners bearly alive and carry them out of the mine.

What happen the miners were working in that section when some of them working a further up the breach the wall into a cavern. i thinking the cavern is basically the inside of a large Crystal Entity with rooms and furniture made of crystal ( to throw off one player whos has the most earthdawn game knowledge ) and have the group find info about a cult that live there. they will also find the remains of the rest of the miners who died under different and heinously ways

Scherme

Post by Scherme » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:21 pm

I know 0 about "the entity", but the word 'refraction' sounds cool and relates to how crystals bend light.

Refraction Born
Eve of Refraction

Idk

I wish I had the time to play in this campaign.
In a perpetual state of lore overload.