dumb question?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Michael
dumb question?

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:24 am

So many things in 4th have changed so the dumb question is that nethermancer can't use half magic for anything horror related?

I get confused because it lists spirits and undead so just wondering, thanks

ChrisDDickey

Re: dumb question?

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:47 am

Nethermancers are now more clearly focused on spirits, undead, and blood magic, and not horrors, which was probably felt to be too broad. I think that almost all of the other disciplines also suffered some focusing that cut the usefulness of half magic in general. It is just not as used as it was in 1st edition.

Undead are almost always in some way associated with horrors, So, it's not true that they can't use Half Magic for anything horror related, but it also not true that they can't use Half Magic for everything horror related.

Bonhumm

Re: dumb question?

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:07 am

No such thing as a dumb question.

As Chris said, they changed a bit how half-magic worked in relation to Horrors for Nethermancer. It has its downsides for the usefulness of half-magic but also, in my opinion, upsides socially for the Nethermancers as, in my opinion, ordinary people should therefore no longer attach a 'Horror social stigma' to the Nethermancers so I would think this would reduced (a bit) the negative feelings most people have towards them.

I mean, the fact that Nethermancers are dealing with dead things still would still most people a bit afraid/suspicious of them but not as much as if they were known to 'fully deal' with Horrors.