Step dice - d8 system

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Qwazi

Step dice - d8 system

Post by Qwazi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:02 am

I know the original creator of the step system doesn't like this (and I know this from talking to someone who used to be the game master for the person who designed the step system), however, my group prefers a different dice combination for steps which makes it a WHOLE lot faster and easier to remember.

Every 5 steps, gain a d8

Step 1-4: 1d8 -(1, 2, 3, 4)
Step 5: 1 d8
Step 6: 1 d8+1
Step 7: 1 d8+2
Step 8: 2 d8-2
Step 9: 2 d8-1
Step 10: 2 d8

Then repeat... This way you don't need to look up your dice combo in a table, you simply just do a simple bit of math in your head. The averages are pretty much the same for the steps.

Sharkforce

Re: Step dice - d8 system

Post by Sharkforce » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:10 am

as i recall, the steps in the book account for rolling max value on the die into the average step value. i would imagine that this system messes with that somewhat.

so for example, step 3 is a d4 not because the average of a d4 is 2.5, but because when you factor in the 1 in 4 chance to roll a 4 and generate a bonus die you get even a little bit closer to an average of 3.

the way you do it is probably fine if you don't feel like having the table handy though. i've definitely played with people for whom calculating anything is not that easy, personally, so having the table is probably a good idea anyways for my group.

Qwazi

Re: Step dice - d8 system

Post by Qwazi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 am

Sharkforce wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:10 am
as i recall, the steps in the book account for rolling max value on the die into the average step value. i would imagine that this system messes with that somewhat.
Well, it's not an exact distribution match, but it is good enough and well worth it for us.