Item with Thread Weaving bonus

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Belenus
Re: Item with Thread Weaving bonus

Post by Belenus » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:59 pm

It doesn't seem to be higher than in other editions.
And I also never had problems with reattuning. :oops:
I could only see a problem there when you're playing an obsidiman or troll and just have a D4 as Karma dice.

Anunnaki

Re: [ED1] Item with Thread Weaving bonus

Post by Anunnaki » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:22 pm

Belenus wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:59 pm
It doesn't seem to be higher than in other editions.
And I also never had problems with reattuning. :oops:
I could only see a problem there when you're playing an obsidiman or troll and just have a D4 as Karma dice.
Hiya,

Just wanted to add Reattuning OTF as "another" reason to have a better Thread Weaving Step. Reattunement DNs are higher than Weaving Difficulty, which is the point I was making. You take 1 Damage Point for each attempt (in ED1), so you want to get the roll done quickly. Also, if you are interrupted you wipe ALL of your spell matrices. That's not fun.

The OP noted they are playing ED1 "specifically", so trying to keep the "other edition" noise out of the thread, hence the Subject changes to include [ED1]. You are correct that it's not generally higher in other editions, however.

Glad to know you never had issues with reattuning. My players always saw it as too risky for general use, but definitely an option for emergencies. And yes, with the D4 Karma Die, you have a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to the roll. But you have a Bonus Die 25% of the time, so that's a thing. ;)

Take kaer, James

FrozenVomit

Re: Item with Thread Weaving bonus

Post by FrozenVomit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Direct to the point: Page 37 Acrcane mystery of Barsaive. Damage Shift spell. (Same as Horror spell)

2 thread of 13 = 26. Not that easy to get with 17 step(8from Perception+7 from thread weaving +d6 of karma)

I want more thread weaving steps!😂

Thanks for talk guys❤️ I like all those suggestions.

Anunnaki

Re: [ED1] Item with Thread Weaving bonus

Post by Anunnaki » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:34 am

Any time. And useful info to know about what spell you're aiming for! :)

So Enhanced Matrix will save you a thread (you probably already know this?), so you are down to one spell thread at Weaving Difficulty 13, for Damage Shift. It's a Circle 7 spell, so you'll have an Enhanced Matrix (which you pick up at Sixth Circle).

If you already have a use for Enhanced Matrix, you can always Reattune On The Fly against a Reattunement Difficulty of 20 ... better than risking a 26, but if you need to swap spells, doable with Step 17 with Step 4 Karma (total Step 21). Still, that takes a round, and you still have to pre-weave the thread, so not that great if speed is an issue.

Definitely look into picking up some Enhanced Matrix Objects. Extra spell matrixes are a good thing, and if you're tight on Enhanced Matrixes, at least until Eighth Circle, it's a way of adding a bit more spell capability.

You may have considered all this anyways, but just throwing it out there.

Hope this helps!

Take kaer, James