Price list for Thread Items to be found anywhere?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
PiXeL01
Price list for Thread Items to be found anywhere?

Post by PiXeL01 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:30 am

The books give rules for Thread items, but how much do they cost to buy?

How much would a Thread Weapon based on a broadsword cost or Thread wand for that matter?
Is there a price list to be found anywhere?

The Undying

Re: Price list for Thread Items to be found anywhere?

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:10 am

Do you need this info sooner or later?

If sooner, I remember one of the old books, maybe ED3, pretty sure one of the Player Guide/Companion/whatev, gave guidance on pricing. It was pretty simple: 2000 silver, 4000 silver, or 8000 silver, maybe depending on either max Rank or price tier.

If you can wait ~half a year, I would expect that some rough pricing information would be included in the ED4 Player's Companion section on Enchanting, unless they perform a significant overhaul on the topic (which I'd be down with). Like other crafting, Enchanting required you to invest 50% of the value of the item in raw material ... can't exactly do that without guidance SOMEWHERE in ED4 about what kind of pricing these things should have.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:30 am

Sooner would of course be best but since none in our campaign have the means nor been asking it can wait a bit, especially since we only play once a month

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:42 pm

I would say prices are the same as in 3ed so look up to the Player's Guide.

Lys

Post by Lys » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:14 am

ED3 Gamemaster's Companion, Pg. 47 lists the following prices:

Typical Thread Item - Rare - 3000+
Rare Thread Item - Very Rare - 5000+
Typical General Treasure - Very Rare - 10 000+
Rare General Treasure - Very Rare - 20 000+
Legendary Treasure - NA - NA

Thread Items can be bought or commissioned in any city, they are generally unexceptional far as thread items go. General Treasure requires a very powerful enchanter to make, and often times have become legendary to some degree or another. Rare General Treasure are very difficult to create even for expert enchanters, usually requiring a particular mix of exceptional skill, rare materials, and inspiration to make them. Legendary Treasure are those Thread Items empowered by not by enchantments, but events taking shape from the heroic exploits of those who wield them, so every single one is one of a kind.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:23 am

Good information, but please be careful of your forum: some would consider the mechanics/tiers of Thread Items spoiler territory, or otherwise information that Players shouldn't have, which is why it's in the Gamemaster Guide/Companion. Enchanters (player Adepts who are actually acquiring one of the specific Knacks) would like be given some or all of this information, but general player Adepts likely wouldn't.

Lys

Post by Lys » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:27 am

How much things costs doesn't strike me a privileged information, you can literally just walk up to a merchant who deals in such goods and ask.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:37 am

My point was about mechanics/tiers of Thread Items, not pricing. Your post wasn't just pricing, it also including the Gamemaster text describing the nature and difference between the types of Thread Items.

I'm not specifically trying to poke you or anything, sorry if my post seems aggressive. I just really like the magical (heh heh) experience players can get if a Gamemaster slowly unfolds the universe to them. In line with that, it's my opinion that basically ANY information from any of the Gamemaster published material really needs to be handled carefully on the "For Players" forum (whereas all bets are off over in the GM forum). It should be the GM's decision if/when to reveal that content to the players.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:00 am

Thank you for sharing