Scorchers

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
Scorchers

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Lots of questions lately, thanks to everyone taking the time to answer.

I finally got to reading the human part of the Denizen and I realized that in the list of the 'ethnic groups' (Cathan, Dinganni etc) are the... Scorchers.

I always assumed the Scorchers were (mostly) orks although now that I think about it I can't think of any sources for that.

So my question: Are the Scorchers (mostly) just human or is it that this section in the Denizen only refer to the (few?) humans that have formed Scorcher bands? Also: if the answer is the latest; is there data about the (other) Scorchers anywhere?

Thank you.

ChrisDDickey

Re: Scorchers

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 am

Since nobody else has replied, I will start the ball rolling with my own personal opinions, citing no sources.

Most Scorchers are Orks.

However Human's are versatile and often expand into ecological niches that other races feel are their own sole natural domain. Thus there are Human Scorcher bands, and sometimes humans among otherwise Ork Scorcher bands. There are human bargemen living upon the rivers (much to the often violent consternation of the T'Skrang), and Humans living in forest, field, mountain, and plain. Sure other races occasionally become plains raiders, sky raiders, or water sailors, but humans are pretty solidly the #2 race in many of these specialized niches and at least the #3 race in most others.
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:56 am

Hrm, I'll need to dig that up ... wasn't it a Kaer that depended on elemental fire for defense or something?

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Slimcreeper wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:56 am
Hrm, I'll need to dig that up ... wasn't it a Kaer that depended on elemental fire for defense or something?
Those are the Vorst.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 pm

etherial wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 pm
Slimcreeper wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:56 am
Those are the Vorst.
Pretty sure those were the Scavians, they had the Kaer close to Death's Sea with a lava-filled opening at the bottom. Needless to say, Horror's that didn't care much about the heat started coming in.
Vorst had a much more depressing background.

BTT:
There is no fixed race when "Scorchers" are being talked about in-game, at least as far as I know. That's just the fluff name for all roaming bandits, imo. Scorchers raid, kill, pillage and rape. They leave behind nothing but destruction.
But based on general culture, I would probably have 90% Orcs in any of my Scorcher bands attacking villages.

In the Denizens books there is a human group called the Riders of the Scorched Plain, I would not equate them to Scorchers. Pretty sure they are separate entities.
They stole the plans to build a Kaer from another city and doomed them to die, since Thera would obviously not replace those plans without a price.
After the Scourge they have somewhat realised what they had done and therefore try to avoid killing their victims (still stealing and plundering away happily, though).

If anything the Scorcher's name might come from the history of the Riders but they are two separate groups for me. Or because they just burn down every village they pass through... less elegant but certainly more descriptive.