AAR: Graft and Corruption, Pt. II

*ARCHIVED* Sub-forum for the original West Marches Discord campaign

Moderator:etherial

Reyntrannin

Post by Reyntrannin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Time: 2018-08-25 @ 22:00 GMT (6:00 PM EDT)
GM: ReynTrannin
Circle: 5
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
August Rey: 6000 Legend, 1200 sp, 4 TIP's
Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar: 6000 Legend, 1200 sp, 4 TIPs
Dubhan: 6000 Legend, 1200 sp, 4 TIP's
Fenrir: 6000 Legend, 1200 sp, 4 TIP's

GM Reward:
Blaethynn, 3,600 Legend, 600 sp, 2 TIP

Downtime:
Dubhan Goronich: Alchemy Step 11 (Per 7 + Alchemy 4), Booster Potion, Kelix' Poultice, Kelia's Antidote
Dubhan Goronich: Research 24 (Per 7 + Research 5 + Karma 4 + Speed Reading 8) With Library Access (20 sp) Research goes to 27
August Rey: Animal Training: Rank 4, Step 10.
Last edited by Reyntrannin on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDDickey

Re: AAR: Graft and Corruption, Pt. II

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:32 pm

From the Journal of August Rey

A few months ago a Kaer named Resnick was discovered under attack. Some adepts finished opening it and brought the refugees to Borgin's Rest. Some of the refugees are seeking a new, more permanent settlement, and are hoping they might reclaim their former home? They asked for help scouting out the area, and hopefully cleansing it. Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar, Dubhan, Fenrir and I volunteered to have a look.

The jungle here is thick, and on even the brightest day above the canopy, at ground level it is dim and you can't see more than a few yards. Suddenly the path opened up into a clearing of sorts. We saw 4 cadaver men and 2 strange trees that walked about on 4 legs dismantling some ancient ruins. It was a long hard fight to slay them all. At first we were able to keep the fight spread out, so I got lots of nice charges. I charged a CM at one edge of the fight, and wounded him. Many of the CM ran over to where I was, but then I charged away and hit one of the walkers. It took the CM many precious seconds to get over from where they were to the new fighting ground. The trees were the really tough opponents, you could see them growing and their wounds closing.

After the fight we looked around, but other than that they were dismantling very old stone building and spreading the rubble around, and doing some digging, we could not figure out what they were up to. We looked into the entrance to the kaer, and Dubhan declared that there were several Dire Centipedes down there. Our Shamans pet bear was very wounded, and since it was so late in the afternoon we decided to retrace our steps for an hour and make camp for the night.

After an uneventful night, we attempted to return to the site. But only halfway there we heard some movement. I used my "ole`" power and went forward to investigate. I saw a walker carrying something large and golden, but some giant Mantis-like creatures attempted to ambush me (unsuccessfully) and I came back to report. I lined up for a charge down the path, and when I spotted them again, we gave them a good what-for. The Mantises were quite deadly when they hit, but were fortunately very clumsy, though that might have just been the early morning chill working upon their insect bodies. Towards the end of the fight, the walker showed up. The golden thing it was carrying looked like a pear shaped fruit, except it was almost a foot and a half long. I am told that it was spewing corruption into Astral Space. The walker did something or another and the fruit started trying to eat, or maybe take root in Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar. After taking out the last Mantis, we destroyed the Walker and the fruit. Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar was still in great distress, but then Dubham tried casting a Dispell Magic upon the fruit and it stopped trying to use him as fertilizer.

We determined that this area is definitely not safe, but we did point out to the refugees that all of barsaive is very underpopulated and there is free land everywhere. This area does need to be cleansed and purified however, and I have no doubt that Adepts will be back here soon.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:28 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks August for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 300 Legend Points and 300 Silver

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:15 pm

From the journals of Dubhan Goronich:

My latest excursion was a cross between extremely satisfactory and deeply frustrating. Refugees from Kaer Resnick put out a call for assistance in clearing their home of Horror influence. Along with three other Adepts (Avalan, August & Fenrir) I accepted the challenge and we set out. As Avalan and Fenrir had been to Resnick before, travel was easy.

As we approached the ruins surrounding the Kaer entrance, we discovered a work party of Cadavermen performing demolition work, overseen by what appeared to be trees in the form of centaurs (note to self: research these more thoroughly.) I was able to spend the fight mostly unmolested due to my ability to fly. I was quite happy with the efficiency of my Binding Threads spell against the Cadavermen; for the most part it rendered them harmless.

Although I was unharmed, the same could not be said of the rest of our party. In particular, Fenrir's bear, Callisto, was severely wounded. We elected to retreat about an hour's march to give Callisto a chance to heal. (It was the least we could do; the bear was particularly effective in the battle.)

The next day, as we sought to return to the Kaer to investigate, we were set upon by what appeared to be several giant Mantises. The entities attacked from the trees, and successfully crashed me to the ground. Still, we were able to overcome them, and another Tree creature. This one had a vessel that spewed corruption into Astral Space. We killed it, but not before the fruit-like vessel attempted to merge with Avalan. Fortunately, it proved vulnerable to my Dispel Magic talent.

We returned to Throal, ultimately unsuccessful in securing the area, although the destruction of the corruption vessel surely stands for something. I look forward to the next engagement.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:55 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Dubhan for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 300 Legend Points and 300 Silver