AAR: A Tangled Weaving

Post by abishaij1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 am

A Tangled Weaving
Time: 2018-08-08 @ 22:00 GMT
GM: haksanlulz (Fenrir)
Circle: 5
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Ursula: 3 TIPs, 4,000 Legend. 138 Silver, Death Cheat Charm, Last Chance Salve, Upandal's Blessings(edited)
Blaethynn: 3 TIP's, 4,000 Legend, 800 silver
Pethrytholilanista: 3 TIPs, 4,000 Legend. 800 Silver
Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar: 3 TIPs, 4000 Legend, 525 silver, Bone Charm, Upandal's Blessings, 2x Booster Potion

Downtime Actions Available:
Blaethynn: Alchemy (Rank 4, Step 15) (Booster Potion, Kelix's Poultice. Kelia's Antidote)
Blaethynn: Craftsman (Rank 4, Step 19)
Blaethynn: Forge Weapon (Rank 5, Step 16)
Blaethynn: Item History (Rank 4, step 15)
Avalan: Research 7 (?)
Pethrytholilanista: Alchemy (Rank 3, Step 10 )

Further Information:
Borgen's Rest is well stocked on food for the time being, after carving the Manticore.

rosinavs

Re: AAR: A Tangled Weaving

Post by rosinavs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:35 pm

From the Escritoire of Pethrytholilanista Mestrisanialira Restimotronora:

Recently I ventured with Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar, Ursula Knucklebreaker, and Blaethynn on behalf of Mr. Live' to find unusual ingredients such as Iron Webbing from Jehuthras. I will touch only briefly on most of the trip and delve into the more significant aspects.

The trip to Borgan's Rest and beyond into the area where jehuthras had been seen was mostly uneventful, although some of the party glimpsed humanoid shapes in the trees as we neared our destination. We entered a cave and fought some jehuthras near the entrance (more on this later, as the most significant aspect of the trip occurred thereing). We defeated two of the jehuthra but two escaped the cave. Upon exiting the cave after the two surviving jehuthra, we found another group of namegivers, also having been hired by Mr. Live, who had slain the remaining constructs. They wished to split the spoils and the reward. Avalan was a bit too eager to agree, although certainly there was more than we could carry. These gentles took their portion and left.

We gathered up the remaining ingredients we were sent for, and also found some of the trade goods we had been sent after as well. Then another group approached, this time entirely of elven warriors, and also claimed to have been sent by Mr. Live. They spoke Sperethiel well enough, but I did not find their lineage to be as impressive as they seemed to think it. I did not, however, indicate with my manner that they were lesser born, which was certainly the polite thing to do. This time I managed to stop Avalan from giving away the fruit of our labors, and Ursula spoke more wisely with the warriors. They challenged us to battle, but we put them off until we could travel to Borgan's Rest. We also fought Manticores. Once back in Borgan's Rest, we fought the elves until Avalan fell unconscious.

I wish to pursue the events of the battle with the jehuthra in depth, however. I spent more time than I felt I should tying threads to Bone Shatter at the beginning of the battle. It was as if my magic was building up behind a dam as I slowly and with faltering fingers bound sufficient magic to the spell to hit at least two of our foes with the bludgeoning force of the mystic art. Then, upon casting the spell, the dam burst forth, and it seemed as if my Spellcasting and Willforce took the goodwill of the world which I had built up with my daily Nethermantic Karma Rituals and poured it into breaking the flesh of the vile creatures. Three of them (I could not see the fourth to cast upon it, although the fact that I had more than enough energy left to have doubly hit that creature and then some) were hit by the sheer force of the spell, and fell to the ground writhing as their carapaces cracked under the pressure.

While my casting did not kill the constructs, it injured them greatly. And I had enough power left that I could have wounded two more such. I barely used a little more than half the power of the spell. It was an amazing yet terrifying feeling that I could bend the ethereal powers of the spiritual plane into such a mighty work of occult mastery. I must take some time to ponder how I might have come to this casting, and how I might be able to perform it in the future. The exercise of my powers thus hurt me nearly as badly as the jehuthra. I hope that I will have the bravery to face the pain and push through it to a similar glorious work of magic in the future. I must spend some time contemplating how I might repeat the feat of Nethermancy that I performed on this trip.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm

The great Library of Throal thanks Pethrytholilanista Mestrisanialira Restimotronora for her contribution.

Journal Rewards: 200 Legend Points and 200 Silver.

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Dearest Mother and Father:

10 Mawag, 1424 T.H.
Mr. Live's Curious Compendium of Curios put out word that Mr. Live was mounting expeditions to retrieve exotic biologics, including the Iron Webbing of Jehuthras. I answered his ad with some of my previous adventuring compatriots and one Blaethynn, Windling Weaponsmith, to see what terms he was offering. He'd received a map that detailed the location of a cave where a rival corporation had stored some trade goods and been beset upon by some Jehuthras. I had concerns that the mission was too dangerous for Novice Adepts and wanted to see for myself how tough these Jehuthras were (and how sound Mr. Live's business model was).

13 Mawag
Having tread to Borgan's Rest without need for comment, we ventured into the jungle in search of our quarry. We found some Jehuthras near the entrance of a cave and engaged them within. I became separated from my animal companions by the fastness of the very Iron Webs we'd come to capture. Nista cracked her knuckles and raised her arms, cackling madly, shattering the carapaces of the creatures and slaying two immediately. The other two fled, directly into the crossbow bolts of another party. There was a brief pause as we sized each other up, but there was enough webbing to go around and we let them go with theirs. Perhaps these Jehuthra are not as tough as I'd feared. We salvaged the trade goods and returned to Borgan's Rest.

About an hour outside the town, we were attacked by two Manticores. Damkina and Zimbu savaged the first without giving it a chance to get off any spells and the second fell quickly as well. Perhaps these are also not as strong as I had heard. Avalan collected the venom and I butchered the meat, which will make for quite the Terran Feast.

13 Mawag (continued)
Upon our return to Borgan's Rest we met with a group of Elven Quadruplets drinking milk led by one Elanthriel, Elven Warrior. He and his brothers were traveling the world seeking worthy opponents to test their mettle against and invited us to brawl. The terms were not entirely clear when we started, however, which allowed them to claim victory when they surrounded and dropped Avalan. They considered us worthy sportsmen, however, and Elanthriel gave me a pelt he had worn as a parting gift.

PCs:
Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar, Obsidiman Elementalist
Blaethynn, male Windling Weaponsmith
Pethrytholilanista, female Elf Nethermancer
Ursula von Knucklebreaker, female Dwarf Beastmaster

NPCs:
Elanthriel, male Elf Warrior
Damkina, a Bear
Zimbu, a Monkey

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:10 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Ursula for her contribution.

Journal Rewards: 200 Legend Points and 200 Silver

Fusilliban

Post by Fusilliban » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

From the observations of Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar

Recently I made the acquaintance of Mr. Livé. She is an odd Namegiver, but as an act of philanthropy, she decided to hire a range of Adepts to clear out Jehuthra and other giant spiders in the general area of Borgan's Rest. Being as I am the owner of Barsaive's fastest-growing giant spider removal operation, I was very pleased to see such an promising customer! I contacted Blaethynn, of course, and also two other Namegivers I hadn't seen in quite some time, and so my companions were

Blaethynn, Windling Weaponsmith and sometime Elementalist
Pethrytholilanista, Elf Nethermancer
Ursula von Knucklebreaker, Dwarf Beastmaster

Each of these three Namegivers is incomparable in their own right. I have adventured with some of them more than others, but I knew all of us were well-versed in the two core tasks the day called for - travel to Borgan's Rest, and dealing with giant spiders. These actions were, to us, almost as familiar as our morning rituals. Almost!

The Jehuthra were a threat, but we grow more experienced in dealing with them. The key problem is that they can weave us in their webs - we cannot see where they are, we cannot see each other, we cannot move freely, and the Jehuthra can strike from surprise, over and over again. There are many methods of dealing with this. One is to leave their web, and see if they can be struck outside. One is to bring a spellcaster with you - learning how to cast spells also teaches one how to resist spells, and the presence of a spellcaster may help shield you from their magical web. A third method is the Danger Sense talent, which may keep you alive, which will help you defeat Jehuthra since it is difficult to do that while dead. A fourth method, though it cannot be practiced by everyone, is to bring Pethrytholilanista with you. She has the power to shatter bones - magically and not in the fashion normally practiced by Sky Raiders, et cetera - and it is extremely effective, so much so that we scarcely needed the other methods. Some of the Jehuthra fled after this - apparently even they find Nethermancers frightening! - and were killed just outside of the cave we found them in by another group of Adepts, also in the employ of Mr. Livé. They asserted their right to a part of the spoils, having assisted us, and we agreed, as seemed only fair.

Not long after this, we encountered a third party of Adepts, all Elves, also drawing from the endless coffers of Mr. Livé. How rich she must be! They challenged us to a friendly brawl. I insisted that we not do this in a land full of dangers, and this wisdom eventually prevailed. Later, a pair of terrifying Horror constructs plunged from the sky, determined to kill us. They were huge, with faces stolen from Humans, and bodies stolen from lions and scorpions and bats - oh my! Even worn down as we were from the Jehuthra, we made bad prey that day. I am glad we were able to avoid the challenge from the Elf group, else these horrifying beasts might have found us delicious.

Eventually, we concluded we had swept the area for all we were likely to get. We returned home through Borgan's Rest, where we found the party of Elf Warriors from before, who insisted on following through with their planned challenge. We fought them for a while. Our party failed due to my weakness, as I allowed them to surround me and bring me down with many blows. When I woke up, the fight was over, and Ursula had a new necklace.

We were paid fairly for our efforts.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:41 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Avalan for his contribution.

Reyntrannin

Post by Reyntrannin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:43 pm

[From correspondence returned to Throal]

Dearest cousin,

It has been some time since I have heard from you. I hope all is well in your travels. I have recently had an interesting trip of my own for a client named Mr. Livé.

Avalan contacted me about this job a couple weeks ago, and we went to meet Mr. Livé along with a Beastmaster named Ursula and Pethrytholilanista, an elf whose name I can never get quite right. The goal was to eliminate a nest of jehuthra and collect some of their iron webbing for use in Mr. Livé’s enchantments and crafting.

We traveled to the purported site of the nest and found a cave just as had been described to us. Upon entering we quickly found that our information was accurate, as a small group of the dread beasties set upon us, trapping us in their maze-like webbing and attempting to pick us off, one by one. I had some difficulty, since one of them managed to bind me into its web too strongly for me to break free, but fortunately, Pethrytholilanista managed to break their fighting spirit (by shattering their bones. I will never be truly comfortable with the nature of Nethermancy, I think.), causing the survivors to flee the cave.

We attempted to give chase, but it seems that we were the first to the cave only by a small margin. Another group, also sent by Mr. Livé, had arrived outside just in time to ambush the fleeing constructs. Things were a bit dicey for a moment, as they claimed a share of the spoils as well. Fortunately, we felt that their claim was fully legitimate, since they had finished the things off, saving us the trouble of chasing them down. Also, there was far more of the webbing than either group was going to be able to take back, so fighting amongst each other would benefit no one but the Horrors.

As we were heading back to Borgin’s Rest to deliver our prize, we encountered yet another group Mr. Livé had sent out (I begin to feel he had little faith in us). These were a quartet of near identical elves who seemed more interested in a good fight than actually completing their task. They initially challenged us to a ‘contest’ then and there in the forest, but fortunately they accepted Avalan’s idea that we should have such sport in a safer place. We arranged to meet them in Borgin’s Rest and finish the challenge.

Little about that fight needs to be said. They proposed rules that favored them, and managed to claim their victory, but at least no one was seriously wounded, although Avalan was knocked unconscious.

Well, cousin, I need to finish this so it can make the post. Please, write back. I’m not the only one worrying about you, and any news would re-assure us.

Until I see you again, I remain your devoted cousin and student,

Blaethynn

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:08 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks Blaethynn for his contribution.