From the Escritoire of Pethrytholilanista

Post your characters here

Moderator:etherial

rosinavs
From the Escritoire of Pethrytholilanista

Post by rosinavs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:51 am

Brief Backstory:
Pethrytholilanista Mestrisanialira Ferianimalirira Alcantoritalirnora Restimotronora Caminantenorlira Zefrandestinornora has only recently left her Kaer. While she is quite conversant with the requirements of polite decorum in her home, she has yet to realize that such standards are different elsewhere. Between this and her Nethermantic leanings, she appears to be rather strange to those she meets. She does not understand that a recitation of her entire lineage back to the founding of her Kaer is a bit much for most Namegivers. After all, that recitation is much shorter than the lineage her grandparents left behind when choosing to stay in the Kaer rather than return to Wyrm Wood for the Scourge. Pethrytholilanista understands that in the heat of battle, one might wish to call her Nista, but nothing short of dire emergency could possibly induce a respectful person to shorten her full first name. Her name means beautiful poisonous flower archaically, but pretty little girl in the local vernacular.

In the Kaer, Pethrytholilanista’s people suffered from infertility. She was a much valued only child born late in life to a couple who chose to stay together rather than seek children elsewhere. Pethrytholilanista herself chose to bear a child with Teantaristonalar, one of the childless elders of her village. He passed while their son, Anderafinastathin was still young, and she discovered her Nethermantic abilities while wishing she had her partner’s wisdom to assist her in raising their son. Once her son was grown, she turned her attention to studying her discipline.

The many names comprising Pethrytholilanista's full name come from her lineage back to the founding of the kaer. Among the elven nobility who entered Kaer Avon rather than returning to Wyrmwood to spend the Scourge there, it was common to list the names of every same sex ancestor back to the founder of their noble house. Those in the kaer chose to drop their lineages from before entering the kaer from their names, but still remember them. Pethrytholilanista can recite the lineage of her maternal grandmother, the lineage that would have been hers if they had not left it behind. However, the elven denizens of Kaer Avon chose instead to to list their ancestors of both sexes back to the beginning of the kaer. By the time the kaer was opened, a few of the younger elves had gone back to the earlier tradition of only listing same sex ancestors. Nista, however, belonged to a shorter lineage and kept all her kaer-dwelling ancestors in her name.

In order to add non-same-sex ancestors, the elves of the kaer adopted name endings to grammatically indicate the ancestral relationship. Thus Nista's father, still living, is named Restimotrokilar Caminantelir Zefrandestinor. The last few syllables of his first name was dropped to add the patronymic of the father of a daughter -nor. Nista's son's full name is Anderafinastathin Teantaristonor Pethrytholilalir Ferianimalirir Mestrisanialiririr Alcantoritalirirnor Restimotrolirnor Caminantelirnorlir Zefrandestilirnornor as his father entered the kaer as an infant and as such none of his ancestors are listed in the name. If his name were any longer, Stathin would likely have dropped all the female names except perhaps his mother's, and might have chosen to add his paternal grandfather's name as this ancestor entered the kaer also.

Nista, her father Trokil, and her son Stathin are all considering what they will do for names now that they are on the surface. Trokil, whose family lineage is not as high in the nobility as his wife's, first wanted Nista to return to the Wyrmwood and see if she might gain anything from renewing her noble status there. He wanted a similar thing from Stathin who might have been able to connect back to his father's line. Nista's trip to the Bloodwood ended that aspiration. However, they are elves, and may not settle on new names for a decade or three.

rosinavs

Re: From the Escritoire of Pethrytholilanista

Post by rosinavs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 am

The Diary of Pethrytholilanista

The Trip Home to Kaer Avon (viewtopic.php?f=49&t=595)

While looking through the shops of Throal for unusual items, I noticed an ad for adventurers to take a trading journey to Avon. I felt this would be a good way to travel home and see my son, so I took the job. My traveling companions are a chatterbox wizard named Robert, a windling with a spear named Rilya, and a dwarf named Ursula with a pet monkey. We were to take two horses loaded with trade goods to my home Kaer, trade them for new goods and coin, and set up trade agreements with my neighbors.

The nights were peaceful, but along the way we encountered some people wishing to collect a toll on the road. They were not there when I passed that way on my way to Throal, so they seemed quite suspicious. We killed one and ran the rest off, but they seem to have made off with a bag of gems. Then we ran into some wolves in the mountains, but they were quite easy to drive off.

Once at the village outside the kaer, I spent some time negotiating for reasonable prices for our trade goods. It is a good thing that I was there, for my companions nearly gave away the entirety of our goods for free. I did not think that my negotiation skills are particularly good, but perhaps these skills are not taught in Throal. Once we had traded our goods and acquired new goods and trade agreements, I had an enjoyable visit with my son and father.

My father reminded me that I am now head of the female line of Ferianimalirie. I find it unlikely that those of the line who chose to stay near the court in the Wyrmwood would acknowledge my claim after such a time, but my father believes that they will do what is right. I suppose I must make the effort to press my claim for the honor of my mother and grandmother and her line back to the mists of time. It seems strange to do so, when my grandmother turned her back to the lineage and kept only her own name when she chose to stay in the Kaer. However, if this will honor my ancestors I must attempt it.

On the journey back we were joined by Renna the elementalist. Robert had tried to pester her for some training, but I could see how rude his constant chatter was. However, Robert seemed more interested in learning my name than most in Throal. I do not understand; my name is of reasonable length . I do not even insist that people include my lineage, either in full, which is a bit unwieldy, or my first name and family line. In any case, the tollmen shot a few arrows at us and accomplished nothing for it, and we returned to Throal in safety.

rosinavs

Post by rosinavs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:54 am

[from a copy in the Diary of Pethrytholilanista sera Ferianimalie la Avon, in the Sperethiel dialect of Avon Kaer]
http://www.fasagames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=601

From Pethrytholilanista Mestrisanialira Ferianimalirira Alcantoritalirnora Restimotronora Caminantenorlira Zefrandestinornora,
To Restimotrokilar Caminantelir Zefrandestinor,

Greetings Most Esteemed Father,

I hope this Missive finds that You are Well, and have found the Surface more Pleasurable than You first thought. I love and miss You. Please extend my Love and good Wishes to my beloved Son. I hope that he is continuing to find the Surface to be a Place of Wonder and Employment, and that he is still much better than I at remembering to call it the Sky, not the Ceiling.

As You advised me to do, I went to the Wyrmwood to see What, if any, of my Mother's Line remained after these many Centuries. I took Employment from a Merchant, Jubal Nusserman, wishing to examine and collect the Botanicals for alchemical Purposes to pay my Way. My traveling Companions included another Elf, a Wizard named Aegharan, who strangely went by an even shorter Name, Aeggy, and called me Nista even when not in Combat. The other Traveler was a Troll Sky Raider, Vlolkir, who was quite formidable in Combat but knew nothing of Alchemy. Our Trip was fairly smooth, but I am afraid that the Scourge has changed our ancestral Home for Ill.

Once we arrived in the Wyrmwood, it was obvious that the Forest had grown Strange over the Years. There was a very thick Border of Undergrowth that blocked all Entry save for a narrow Path. The Trees were covered in red Leaves, and the Ground everywhere near the Entrance was Soaked in Blood. Just after Entering we were attacked by a Flock of Birds who took One of my Employer's Eyes before we defeated them. Two Nights while Camping, we were attacked by Tree Creatures. The first Battle with them, I had difficulty casting Spells on them, so horrified was I that within Weeks of first seeing Trees I must injure them.

After the second Battle, the most terrifying Sight I have ever seen emerged from the Forest. He was an Elf, and would have been Comely, but that he had Thorns growing from beneath his Skin everywhere one could see. They were not just unsightly Growths, but had Blood trickling from the Wounds they inflicted upon his Person. He called the place the Bloodwood, and said that the line of Ferianimalie still continued in the Place. He wished our Party to leave the Wood, but said that the other Elf and I might stay - but only if we had the Ritual that caused the abominable Thorns to pierce his Flesh be performed on us. He said that this was a Gift of never ending Agony that made him Safe from the Horrors.

My beloved Father, I am sure you will agree that such a Price is not to be thought of, even if it were to bring me Power, Position, or Wealth in the elven Court. As much as it pains me to know that the Descendants of my esteemed Grandmother's younger Sister hold her Place among the sylvan Throng, as much as taking such a Step would benefit my dear Son and any future Children I might bear, and as much as my own Discipline of Nethermancy inclines me to see blood Magic to be a useful Tool for Protection and Strength, I cannot, I will not take part in such a Ritual. I would divide myself from You and my Son and our Kaer by the Fountain of Blood that would pour from me, and the never ending Pain this Abomination would instill in me. I beg of You, please grant me Forgiveness, for I cannot fulfill the Purpose of the Task which You have set me.

In leaving the Kaer we have held Hope that we might be reunited with the Court, and that Fences could be mended, and our Family might be One again, but I fear this will never be so. If You ask it of me, I will return to the Bloodwood to see if any Method might still accomplish this Reunion without the terrible Ritual. However, I suspect that in the End I may, like my Grandmother Centuries ago, be forced to separate myself in Name and Spirit as well as in Body from those who share my Descent.

Your Obedient Daughter,

Pethrytholilanista - of what other name I am not sure

rosinavs

Post by rosinavs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:55 am

From the Journal of Pethrytholilanista
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=612

Things have been so busy that I have not been able to record my thoughts on a journey to investigate some bandit activity to the south. Since this area is not far from my former kaer and beloved relations, I chose to help with this matter. I traveled with Grom, a very young ork Skyraider, and Osahar, an Elven Archer. Rilya, the windling who seems perpetually lost, was to have joined us, but I heard later was detained by situations beyond his control.

As usual, even the elves outside of my kaer do not understand that basic politeness of using one's full name. As soon as I grant my fellows permission to use a shortname in combat, they persist in doing so at all times. I have, as yet, found very few exceptions to this.

In any case, we traveled to Borgan's Rest and met with the refugees whose farm had been attacked. We got directions to their home and proceeded thereunto. It was not very difficult to clear the apes out of the farm, but we then needed to round up the farmers' cattle. As usual, young Grom seemed not to know how to do anything that did not require the wielding of his axe. Most of the cattle I worked with were willing enough to follow me to the farm and go back to their pen.

We then headed toward the bandit camp, finding them in a cave with most out doing more banditry. Grom tried to rush in headlong as usual, but was felled with arrows before Osahar and I were able to subdue the bandits. Luckily, this was not the last of young Grom, and the Booster Potion I applied to him worked. He has graciously since repaid me with a new potion, so in spite of his inexperience he has some semblance of politeness. It is a little difficult, sometimes, to keep from mothering him. I miss parenting my son, who is just now at the age where he wishes to prove himself, and Grom, while younger, is at about the same stage for such short-lived creatures as orks. However, at this stage, they seem to need to learn from their own experience rather than someone else's.

We captured one bandit and brought him back to the Rest. He seemed quite willing to turn from banditry, but we were unwilling to trust him not to betray us to the remainder of the bandits as we returned to the cave to eliminate the remaining bandits. By this time young Grom was healed sufficiently, and was sufficiently experienced from our previous bout not to rush straight in, that I had time to cast spells to keep our footsteps quiet on entering the cave. We were able to surprise the bandits, and wiped most of them out. The remaining bandit was willing to show us the main lair closer to Throal in return for leniency for her crimes. I suspect there will be a raid on the main lair sometime soon. These bandits make travel dangerous and expensive for the poorer denizens just leaving their kaers and resuming surface life.

I seem to have acquired sufficient experience myself that I am ready to study further nethermantic arts. I hope to be of more use to future companions as I develop my talents and spells.

rosinavs

Post by rosinavs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:56 am

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=634#p5078

I took another position of employment, in this circumstance to travel to a grassy plain whereupon dwell large wild cow-like beasts called Stajian. I and my companions were to capture and bring back such beasts as we could find, the said companions being young Grom Skycleaver with whom I herded smaller domesticated bovines on an earlier trip, and two new fellow travelers: Celemir, a woodsman from my own home of Kaer Avon, and Thane Cawdor, a Troll Sky Raider.

The commencment of the journey was peaceful. We stopped at one of the runic circles that I had hoped to examine on a prior occasion. I was able to determine that two of the eight circles are Nethermantic in origin. We avoided the difficulties of the jungle, until we were attacked one evening by Blood Bees. Young Grom attacked head-on, as usual, and was nearly drained dry for his efforts, but we dispatched the hematophagic arthropods.

Not long after emerging onto the plains we found a herd of Stajian. I was able to commune with one beast that was likely the dominant member of the grouping. It was quite delighted to take local grasses from my hand and follow me back toward Throal, the rest of its herd perambulating in our wake. My companions provided the stick to my carrot, as it were, and we were able to herd the cattle along.

After some time on the road, some wolves attempted to deprive us of the herd we had so diligently gathered. We were able to fight them off with minimal damage to ourselves or the Stajian. My physician skill came in useful for calming and tending an injured beast. It seems I have some skill tending to our non-Namegiving cousins. Perhaps I should consider learning from a Beastmaster at some point.

As per usual, we met with some bandits on the road, and eliminated the marauders. This theme is becoming quite a tired trope. I would like for Throal to send forth a party to wipe out the base we found on my last bovine adventure. The fact that this has not yet been done before now is concerning.

rosinavs

Post by rosinavs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 am

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=640#p5079

I took yet another compensatory obligation, on this juncture to rescue or avenge a brace of members of a caravan who were waylaid by ghouls near Sosonopa. My companions on this venture were: Rilya the Windling, who seems to have finally learned how to find her way about; Aegharan, a polite enough former companion from earlier travels; Thane, the Skyraider I met on my last perambulation; and Romari Savre, a Wizard with whom I had not ventured before.

There were bandits on the way. We defeated them. I tire of mentioning this circumstance.

Upon arriving in Sosonopa, we met with a local luminary named Ivon, who gave us details on the capture of the wayfaring merchants. We set out with him to assist us in tracking, and were set upon by ghouls in the night. We had enough warning to be prepared for them, but Thane was sorely wounded and poisoned by the ghouls in the battle. I loaned him a healing potion, but he was still wounded upon breaking his fast.

We then used the much fresher tracks to pursue the ghouls in their lair. It was a cave and took some duration to explore to little avail. Once we had perused multiple chambers and tunnels, we noticed that our erstwhile guide, Ivon, was no longer in attendance upon us. We continued our investigation of the cave, hoping to find him, and came upon a great chamber with a deep lagoon in the center. Four creatures emerged from encumbrances shaped like cocoons as we drew nigh. Then Ivan infiltrated behind us, now bearing a stinger and calling the fiends its children. It stung me, as I had been hanging back to cast spells, and I spent much of the ensuing confrontation evading him and his minions, taking a wound and much damage while sidestepping their close quarter blows.

It was quite difficult to cast spells upon the preternatural creatures. From spinning the netheressence into strands of magic to unleashing those filaments upon their destinations, I could feel the roving of the ether sunder and the gossamer cords drift from their objectives. Even pouring my Karma into the enchantments was to no avail. Once Ivon left his charges to devour us, my magic worked once more, and we trounced the creatures handily.

We examined the alcoves beyond the great pool, and found what were likely once the namegivers, now nearly unrecognizable in their transformation into abominations. Any attempt to warn the village of Sosonopa that their former leader is now anathema miscarried, and we returned to Throal. That village must now be cleansed. If any within its walls yet do not bear the imprint of that Horror, it is a miracle.

rosinavs

Post by rosinavs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 am

From the Journal of Pethrytholilanista of Kaer Avon
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=650#p5159

Fortune Fields Industries advertised for stalwart travelers to locate a previous company of explorers they sent some weeks previous. My companions were Aegharan and Rilya, with whom I have sojourned in the past, and Ceadda, a Human Warrior hitherto unknown to me. Thankfully Rilya has much improved in navigation, although we still encountered the incorrect assemblage of humans at first. We were redirected to the correct conglomeration, but not before a skirmish involving some spiders these humans seemed to believe were their rightful prey alone. Ah, the intriguing and unusual practices I continue to find among the coteries of namegivers on the surface!

Upon encountering the correct gathering of humans, apparently known in these parts as the "swamp village", we found one member of the erstwhile expedition, Thane, a Troll Sky Raider. I also discovered more unusual surface practices, for Ceadda and Aegharan had apparently been made members of this bevy of individuals.

Upon receiving direction to the subterranean area where Thane previously saw his former companions, we commenced to burn away spider webs and expended cocoons along our progression. In the sunken depths there were webs ensconced in ice and cocoons with the remains of namegivers, now lost to corruption. We battled giant spiders, Jehuthras, that overcame Thane and ferried him off into the shadows. We pursued, and were eventually victorious, recovering not only Thane, but the remainder of his original troop. Those had been cocooned as well, but responded to medical treatment. Once recovered, they had to be convinced not to enact revenge upon the "forest people", the incorrect assemblage mentioned above, who had directed them into the lair of the spiders.

My employers on this foray were quite generous, and I now have a small alchemy lab in which to concoct elixirs for the physical betterment of myself and future companions. I learned two new recipes from Rilya, and now seek more to add to my repetoire.

rosinavs

Post by rosinavs » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:01 am

From the Escritoire of Pethrytholilanista Mestrisanialira Restimotronora:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=956&p=7310#p7310

Recently I ventured with Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar, Ursula Knucklebreaker, and Blaethynn on behalf of Mr. Live' to find unusual ingredients such as Iron Webbing from Jehuthras. I will touch only briefly on most of the trip and delve into the more significant aspects.

The trip to Borgan's Rest and beyond into the area where jehuthras had been seen was mostly uneventful, although some of the party glimpsed humanoid shapes in the trees as we neared our destination. We entered a cave and fought some jehuthras near the entrance (more on this later, as the most significant aspect of the trip occurred thereing). We defeated two of the jehuthra but two escaped the cave. Upon exiting the cave after the two surviving jehuthra, we found another group of namegivers, also having been hired by Mr. Live, who had slain the remaining constructs. They wished to split the spoils and the reward. Avalan was a bit too eager to agree, although certainly there was more than we could carry. These gentles took their portion and left.

We gathered up the remaining ingredients we were sent for, and also found some of the trade goods we had been sent after as well. Then another group approached, this time entirely of elven warriors, and also claimed to have been sent by Mr. Live. They spoke Sperethiel well enough, but I did not find their lineage to be as impressive as they seemed to think it. I did not, however, indicate with my manner that they were lesser born, which was certainly the polite thing to do. This time I managed to stop Avalan from giving away the fruit of our labors, and Ursula spoke more wisely with the warriors. They challenged us to battle, but we put them off until we could travel to Borgan's Rest. We also fought Manticores. Once back in Borgan's Rest, we fought the elves until Avalan fell unconscious.

I wish to pursue the events of the battle with the jehuthra in depth, however. I spent more time than I felt I should tying threads to Bone Shatter at the beginning of the battle. It was as if my magic was building up behind a dam as I slowly and with faltering fingers bound sufficient magic to the spell to hit at least two of our foes with the bludgeoning force of the mystic art. Then, upon casting the spell, the dam burst forth, and it seemed as if my Spellcasting and Willforce took the goodwill of the world which I had built up with my daily Nethermantic Karma Rituals and poured it into breaking the flesh of the vile creatures. Three of them (I could not see the fourth to cast upon it, although the fact that I had more than enough energy left to have doubly hit that creature and then some) were hit by the sheer force of the spell, and fell to the ground writhing as their carapaces cracked under the pressure.

While my casting did not kill the constructs, it injured them greatly. And I had enough power left that I could have wounded two more such. I barely used a little more than half the power of the spell. It was an amazing yet terrifying feeling that I could bend the ethereal powers of the spiritual plane into such a mighty work of occult mastery. I must take some time to ponder how I might have come to this casting, and how I might be able to perform it in the future. The exercise of my powers thus hurt me nearly as badly as the jehuthra. I hope that I will have the bravery to face the pain and push through it to a similar glorious work of magic in the future. I must spend some time contemplating how I might repeat the feat of Nethermancy that I performed on this trip.