Kickstarter - past and Future

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Lursi
Re: Kickstarter - past and Future

Post by Lursi » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:09 pm

For my purpose, I have enough Dragons, Demons and Critters to kill and also to avoid (which is sometimes smarter)

I would love to see something about:
Urupa&Aras Sea
Iopos&Jerris (with the latter probably being more playable unless one wants to play a fascist Iopian group trying to sabotage Throal).
The wild Vasgothia (ok probably to wild this idea)

As you can see, all regional stuff.

I have no issues taking the old spells and convert them in a away making sense to my group. Weavibg difficulty is defined and the right powerlevel will be found.

The right regional setting is however hard work.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Taffy

Post by Taffy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks Josh

Sounds like it is time to save the pennys :)

Is it work telling my home group to hold off buying the core books (PDFs) and getting them to purchase as add ons (if made available) in the new kickstarter to support it?
Cheers
Taffy/Dean
Melbourne, Australia

etherial

Post by etherial » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:16 am

Taffy wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 am
Thanks Josh

Sounds like it is time to save the pennys :)

Is it work telling my home group to hold off buying the core books (PDFs) and getting them to purchase as add ons (if made available) in the new kickstarter to support it?
That seems highly unlikely because it's currently the source of income for the game but I would quite happily beg FASA to release some PDF bulk bundles of older material as Kickstarter Add-Ons:
*ED1 Corebooks
*ED1 Sourcebooks
*ED1 Adventures
*ED2
*EDC
*ED3 Sourcebooks
*ED3 Adventures

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Lursi wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:09 pm
For my purpose, I have enough Dragons, Demons and Critters to kill and also to avoid (which is sometimes smarter)

I would love to see something about:
Urupa&Aras Sea
Iopos&Jerris (with the latter probably being more playable unless one wants to play a fascist Iopian group trying to sabotage Throal).
The wild Vasgothia (ok probably to wild this idea)

As you can see, all regional stuff.

I have no issues taking the old spells and convert them in a away making sense to my group. Weavibg difficulty is defined and the right powerlevel will be found.

The right regional setting is however hard work.
It makes me happy to hear requests for Vasgothia. I recently sent a proposal for a Vasgothia region book to FASA along with a 17,000 word sample chapter as proof of concept :)
Last edited by Geekabilly on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:15 am

What is the direction you propose for Vasgothia? I presume its population is even more sparse than Barsaive?

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Lursi wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:15 am
What is the direction you propose for Vasgothia? I presume its population is even more sparse than Barsaive?
Well I would say in a broad sense my direction is dualistic in nature, we are talking about a heavily Theranized province that also possesses it's own strong sense of national identity, even the Empirist Therans are proud of their Vasgothian heritage. For example, the history of House Gascilium and the history of Vasgothia are deeply entwined, Gascilium is pretty much made up of Theranized Vasgothians at this point, but they are now the most hated Therans in the province despite a shared heritage.
That Vasgothian heritage is also a source of great fear and woe due to the continuing effects of the Place of reNaming.

Population wise I haven't really thought about numbers as much as cultures; you have the tribes in the Deep Forest, some of which hate Thera, some of them trade with Thera and some of them are even allies of Thera. In the north there are the Troll Moots of the Caralkspur Mountains (who differ greatly from the Sky Raiders of Barsaive, they are actually allies of the Theran Empire for a start) and then you have a series of Theran settlements that lay in between the two that form the centre of Theran culture in the province.

Then you have all the strangeness caused by the Scourge; new Namegivers races, the Dread Yearning, the Towers, Fruits of the Passions and Horror and the dead Vasgothian Passions (which I have fully detailed with Questor abilities in case GMs wanted to run a campaign where the Passions return).

Vasgothian is a place that attracts adventures and adepts from all across the empire and each of the Theran noble houses desires to harness it's secrets for themselves.

My main goal is to provide a fully fleshed out campaign setting for Earthdawn players and GMs. I have been playing Earthdawn for nearly 20 years and as much as I love Barsaive, my group have taken efforts in the last decade or so to flesh out the world beyond it ( I have for example, played ED games set in versions of Britain and Japan). I believe Vasgothia has a lot of potential for adventure and offers something a little different since it houses both a strong Theran presence to contend with and huge stretches of strange, magical and untamed wilderness to explore.

To give you an example of how fleshed out I want Vasgothia to be, my sample chapter (which mostly covers Vasgothian history, from creation myths to modern day) is 33 pages in length, compare this to the 19 pages presented in Theran Empire. I even had a brief email correspondence with the author of Theran Empire (Robin D. Laws) discussing the themes of Vasgothia.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Sounds cool.

In Germany there is fan work released by the german distributor and it is actually quite nice. I paid 10 Euros for it and it was worth it.

Of course this was only about artifacts and background info about a region is a bit more canonical but it sounds good.
We also took all kinds of maps and played there, it would be not too difficult to do the persian empire which is south of barsaive .

I was raised with all these ancient stories about Kyros and Xerxes, so I think this will come up next. That would make a nice power expanding north...

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am

Lursi wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:50 pm
Sounds cool.

In Germany there is fan work released by the german distributor and it is actually quite nice. I paid 10 Euros for it and it was worth it.

Of course this was only about artifacts and background info about a region is a bit more canonical but it sounds good.
We also took all kinds of maps and played there, it would be not too difficult to do the persian empire which is south of barsaive .

I was raised with all these ancient stories about Kyros and Xerxes, so I think this will come up next. That would make a nice power expanding north...
Yeah Persia would fit in to ED very nicely, you have Issyr near to Creana, but I'm not too sure about it I think it's suppose to represent the Egyptian/Assyrian conflict.

Do you have a link to that German fan work? I'd like to check it out.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Geekabilly wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:09 am

Do you have a link to that German fan work? I'd like to check it out.
Yes I do:
https://www.ulisses-ebooks.de/product/245743

There is also a small preview.

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Great thank you. If I can ask, what is the Vasgothia specific content in this book? Judging by the description I'm guessing it's Thread Items?