Praise for 4th edition Earthdawn

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
MetalBoar
Praise for 4th edition Earthdawn

Post by MetalBoar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:29 pm

So, since the one thread I've started turned into me complaining, I wanted to take a moment to express some positive thoughts.

I've just recently run my first couple of sessions with 4th edition and I have to say that both my players and I were very pleasantly surprised. All the things I expected to go well went well and even the things I was dubious about (like dropping armor defeating hits) turned out to be improvements. Everyone particularly likes the changes to the disciplines. Where before (in 3rd edition) a lot of the players had only a small handful of disciplines that they were interested in, I now heard a lot of moaning about how hard it was to decide which sounded like more fun and nobody is trying to figure out how to get what they want by adding a second discipline. The group is just first circle so I'm looking forward to seeing how things fall into place at higher levels.

Congratulations for improving an already great game!

Mataxes

Re: Praise for 4th edition Earthdawn

Post by Mataxes » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:13 am

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

If only we could get a bit more attention, and convince a bunch more people that this game is awesome.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:36 am

Mataxes wrote:Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

If only we could get a bit more attention, and convince a bunch more people that this game is awesome.
I'll scout out property for the re-education camps.

That's not what you meant, was it.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:44 pm

PR for a new company and product is a massive endeavor - my wife and I started a visual art teaching studio this year, so I can sympathize. We are doing a promotional event every month or so, and we are only working a local audience. (Plus ongoing Facebook marketing). When I've researched how to make a living as an artists, everything comes back with "50% artwork production, 50% promotion." And 15% luck, because math isn't always our strong suit.

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Yeah. Marketing is a completely new skill set to pick up. What makes it harder is that is something that is such a niche market already. If it was something we could advertise on television I could get us a good set up in cable. :)

Also, Slimcreeper if you want to PM me the name of your company and you are in a Comcast market I can have someone contact you about cable advertising spots. It's cheaper than you think if you want to catch those late night audiences. :)

But I am off-topic. :) Earthdawn 4e is indeed an awesome game and Mataxes and team are doing great stuff.
Todd Bogenrief
Noble Armada Line Developer, U18 Rules Guru

Lys

Post by Lys » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:58 am

Might as well pitch in an briefly say that i do in fact love ED4, and that's the reason why you'll hear me complaining about it, a lot. The just how it works with me, i complain about subjects that i like, and i ignore the subjects i don't like. The fact that i'm paying enough attention to complain shows that i care.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:41 am

As a long time fan (and occasional critic) of Earthdawn, I totally get where you're coming from, and I am more than willing to hear comments, complaints, and criticisms of the game, as long as they are (mostly) respectful and constructive.

When stuff gets toxic, well... that's where I draw the line and relegate you to the dustbin.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:16 am

There's an old adage from my retail days: for every 1 customer you upset, you need to please 100 customers, because that 1 customer is very likely to be vocal about their bad experience whereas people are far less likely to be vocal about their good experiences. These forums - like most other game forums regardless of genre or electronic-v-paper - feel kind of the same: threads are usually people chiming in with questions/concerns/fixes versus just "hey, I just wanted to say, I LOVED feature X, that's all." But, as Lys says, the fact that people care enough to come make those posts says a lot about both the health of the game in general as well as the passion level of its player base.

Anyways, as someone that made the jump from ED3 to ED4 (skipped EDC), I feel that basically EVERY bit of the system has been improved in my opinion - things are just more fun and more interesting. Great job.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:26 am

The Undying wrote:Anyways, as someone that made the jump from ED3 to ED4 (skipped EDC), I feel that basically EVERY bit of the system has been improved in my opinion - things are just more fun and more interesting. Great job.
Point of clarification: Classic (EDC) was before ED3.

There was a (short lived) Revised (EDR) edition that was basically ED3 in the smaller book size. All that ever came out for it was the Player's Guide and Mists of Betrayal. It was produced in the wake of the Fading Suns debacle and Carsten Damm's departure. I came in not long after and decided a real new edition was required.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:49 am

I can't brain today, I have the dumb. :) Thanks for the correction.