Weaponsmith Crafting Karma

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Arikail
Weaponsmith Crafting Karma

Post by Arikail » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:38 am

It hasn't come up much yet, but I have a question I'm curious about.

How extensive is the 1st Circle Weaponsmith Karma ability to spend a Karma Point on any test to make or repair items? I can easily seeing it apply to making weapons and armor.

Does it apply to anything that falls under a Craftsman skill? I would guess yes from the wording, but can also see that not being the intent.

What about making Alchemy items and poisons?

And more for the Devs atm, but will it help with making items for Enchanting, if not the actual act of Enchanting (if they are separate parts, hard to say since we don't have those rules yet)?

RazanMG

Re: Weaponsmith Crafting Karma

Post by RazanMG » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:43 pm

It was talked about but maybe on old forum.

You can add karma to any item being made using craftsman Talent, so you can add 2 karma points in total. So it includes weapons, armor, chairs, barrels, jewelry and so on.

Alchemy is a different story, its a separate skill, Weaponsmith discipline is not about cooking, I wouldnt allow to use karma on it.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Personally, I'm drawing the line due to some specific wording, that boils down to "Enchanting is not Crafting."

Arikail

Post by Arikail » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 am

Now that we do have the Companion, and the rules for Enchanting, I'd like to revisit this. Specifically in regards to Weaponsmiths using Karma for the Enchanting test to create Enchanted items. Looking through the Enchanting Knacks, we see Thread Smithing pop up a decent amount, as well as Patterncraft (which most Weaponsmiths won't have). It seems to me that being able to use their 1st Circle Karma ability to spend Karma to create an item would apply here. The call out for Thread Smithing shows that Weaponsmiths are indeed producers of enchanted items (though I do note it's not listed with the Craft Common Magic Item Knack, even though they can gain the Handle Elements Knack, allowing them "to incorporate True
elements into magical items". I guess right now that applies only to Thread Items, and not the lesser stuff. Oversight??)

I think this is further backed up with the 9th Circle Elementalist Karma ability to spend karma in creating items ("Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point when designing or crafting an item."). I don't think the premier enchanters of the game would gain this ability only for the purposes of creating mundane boots. Especially at such a late stage of their game.

Thoughts?

Panda

Post by Panda » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:44 am

Weaponsmith's Karma ability does indeed apply for enchanting, as well as creating enchanting patterns. If they have access to Alchemy, or other crafting knacks through another Discipline, it applies to those items as well.

Their inability to create common magic items isn't an oversight. While they can certainly make anything mundane they need to, making random magical knickknacks isn't their thing.