etherial
AAR: Severe River Damage

Post by etherial » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:05 am

Mission: Severe River Damage
GM: etherial
Date: 2017-10-28
Difficulty and circle rating: Circle 2 Medium

Player Rewards:
Aegharan: 800 Legend, 1 Healing Potion, 1 Booster Potions, 1 Kelia's Antidote, 37.5 Silver
August Rey, 800 LP, 2 Kelia’s Antidote, 1 Salve of Closure, 25 silver
Felsic: 800 Legend, 250 Silver, Magic purple stylish hat, -1 Booster potion
Irwin E. Hopperton: 800 Legend, 250 Silver, Blue Crystal Statute - t'skrang female (aquatic fertility goddess) & learned Research Talent

Rolls that were witnessed:

Further Information:
The Thresta Niall has been destroyed.

Jason

Re: AAR: Severe River Damage

Post by Jason » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:08 am

From the Journal of Irwin E. Hopperton

The Party
August Rey, Dwarf Cavalryman of the third circle
Aegharan (Aggie), Elf Illusionist of the first circle
Felsic, Obsidiman Scout of the second circle
Myself

The mission
Congratulations, you have been hired by the Great Wizard Sarakka (Female) to find the lost Niall of Thresta! The main Niall of the coil river. Believed the river got diverted, and isn't where it is expected. Should be at the headwaters of the river.

North East of Borgan's rest
Should still be surrounded by the 'hard water'

Log
Traveled to borgan's rest

Day 1 (post borgan's rest)
nothing of intrest.

Day 2
We get to the current head of the river
Felsic starts looking around for things that may be of intrest.
Felsic believe the river starts closer to the foothills

We get to a muddy spot were we think things might be.
Got attacked by 5 ghouls

Felsic fell almost dead in the attack, but pulled out of it.

We dug through the mud and found the top of a building
I took a look around via astral sight - refselenika all around under the mud
fire looking trap magic at the door

fire trap
wood trap
rock fall trap
bad air trap
water refselenika trap

large double doors
Elemental spirits & passions that the t'strange venerate
1 elemental shiva - related to serpent river
Sarakka believes that the shiva elemental should have button that needs to get pressed

We spend the night out the door

Day 3
Felsic IDs that he should push both jewels eyes at the same time - it openes the door.

can't pierce astral sight.

got ambushed by more ghouls and a ghoul queen. I survied because of my wood skin. We really need to take some poison resistance stuff on these hunts in case of more ghouls/poison stuff.

I found a Blue Crystal Statute - t'skrang female (aquatic fertility goddess) which I plan on investigating further.

note to self
- get rope, climbing gear
- learn to read languages
- poison resistance
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:09 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks Irwin for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 40 Legend Points and 80 Silver

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Journal of Aegharan
My first real adventure has not taken long to begin. I got word of a T'strang wizard lady, I think Sarakka was her name, who hired help finding a Niall. Apparantly a Niall is the same as a Kaer, but underwater. Sarakka accompanied us and had relatively precise directions. A prior adventure had eliminated a possible location for this Niall so we went looking near the spring of the serpent river. Also within the party were August, a dwarf Cavalryman riding a giant cat, Irwin, a human Elementalist, and Felsic, an Obsidiman Scout with a deep, booming voice that the ladies must really like.

We travelled south along the road to Borgan's Rest without anything important happening. There we rested and refilled our provisions. A little over a day travel north-east took us to a place where Sarakka thought a small lake would be. It was big muddy mess, especially Felsic sinking in between deeply with each step, and all of us moving reaaally slowly. The ground felt thoroughly soaked and spongy. Along with a muddy cliff where we suspected that a big chunk of a hill has fallen down, we thought that maybe at some point during the scourge this lake has been filled through a landslide.

None of us noticed anything out of the ordinary until I stepped on the head of some thing with nasty claws that erupted from the ground and tried to tear into my leg. I later learned these are ghouls. I just barely made it out of harm's way for the moment, when 3 more ghouls just like the first one and 1 really huge ghoul (I will come back to this later) came out of the mud looking angry. I was strategically positioned in the front line and had the rest of our party behind me. But now they really began to shine. Felsic immediately stormed to my side and assisted me, taking a huge beating from 3 ghouls, August charged menacingly between the ghouls, attracting attention and dishing out gasping wounds, while Irwin and I focussed them down one by one. The guys later told me that the ghouls' poison that nearly downed Felsic (a living stone who nearly fell to poison?) deteriorates health greatly, but only as long as the Ghoul lives.

After the fight was over we treated our (Felsic's) wounds and went to digging in an area where the ground felt a little different. The glory tales of adventuring never tell about using a cut up tree to dig through mud. For over an hour. We found the top of a tower with a trapdoor and Irwin found it to be trapped. We stood at some range, Felsic opened it with a rope and a Fireball shot into the air. After a short and easy climb we went on through a staircase and encountered some more traps: A metric buttload of rocks hanging from the ceiling (that Felsic safely triggered; we then carried away the rocks gloriously), a not-well-aged wooden portion of the staircase through which Felsic fell and which we climbed down, and a room full of really stale, dead air that made torches go dark and that gave no life. Felsic searched the room, constantly holding his breath, searching for traps and coming back for more fresh air and concluded that there are no more traps. Behind the next door was a way into water. Irwin had the excellent presence of mind seeing that each trap until here featured one element (fire, wood, stone, air) and that before us lay water. I suggested that he and Sarakka look astrally for any kind of possible trap and they found "refselenika", which seems to be elemental water or something, is basically invisible while underwater and so sharp it cuts your head of like an elvish sword. Irwin figured out the pattern, swam through and reached the other end. There was an orichalkum chain that made the water run out through the bottom so we could follow.

We opened the last door after somebody (I think Irwin?) figured out the pattern and reach the living area of this Kaer / Niall. It was dead. Before nearly every house Felsic and August spotted marks like a person had been dragged out, then stood up and walked away. While we tried to figure out where to go, I found a ghoul in the distance. We readied ourselves, killed it swiftly, looked around carefully and got jumped by 3 more ghouls and again a large ghoul. Shortly after a REALLY LARGE GHOUL left the shadows coming towards us. I only remember finishng off the second ghoul and stepping away from the first large ghoul, when I fell unconscious. I woke up to tremors from the Niall collapsing, being carried out into the hallway and us all making it out alive.

We didn't have time to try taking parts of the orichalkum chain with us, which is now probably buried below some hundred feet of mud...

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks Aegharan for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 40 Legend Points and 80 Silver.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Irwin, August Rey, an Elven Illusionist named Aegharan, and myself were hired by the great T’skrang Wizard Sarakka to find the Thresta Niall at the head of the coil river. The first day we travelled and tested at Borgan’s rest, a small human village. In the morning we headed Northeast along the river.

When we got to the head of the river we compared the pre-Scourge map to our surroundings. I determined that the mouth of the river used to be farther North and we ascended a ways until we encountered a mudflat. Given the dry weather the last couple of days we were sure that part of the opposing hill had collapsed and blocked the river from forming here.

Entering the mud we found a small solid earth centre, the entrance to the Naill. Unfortunately five T’skrang ghouls found us. My strategy of protecting the spellcasters found me as the front-line Warrior where normally I am a skirmishes like August Rey. The ghouls were whittled away and I was glad for the Horn Needle I purchased but I fell to our opponents but Thank the passions I survived. A short rest later I was well on my way thanks to a warm hearty breakfast and a booster potion.

We found a firetrap on the door and set it off from a distance. Gathering a log from the forest around the mudflat we used our only rope to secure access to the floor 15 feet below, the ladder having rotted away. I took the lead, searching for traps. I was too heavy for the first stairwell and we had to negotiate it without rope or chain. Moving on we encountered an ingenious bad air and elemental water trap that fortunately could be cleared through a plug at the entrance to the Naill, where we camped for the night.

In the morning we were feeling much better and my injuries were less severe. We found the correct button to open the door and entered the village proper I spotted a ghoul attempting to ambush us but the rest of the party killed it quickly. I reasoned that where there was one ghoul there were probably more I positioned myself blocking the alleyway and August Rey the other one to keep our spellcaster safe.

Unfortunately the ghouls had been moving and managed to get behind us. I faced a ghoul while two trapped our spellcasters, poisoning Aegharan and Irwin. Aegharan went down and I remembered that killing the ghoul responsible would stop the poison August Rey and I retreated to try to save Aegharan, then Irwin, from the ongoing effects.

We succeeded at the cost of me becoming poisoned and letting the ghoul queen hammer at my brain with sone sort of spell. Our brave T’skrang wizard came to distract her and August Rey killed the last normal ghoul before turning to face the Queen, who was framed in magical symbols and purple in colour. I needed a moment to gather enough energy to face her and waited for her to go before advancing to face her. I, of course, missed.

Fortunately as a group we faced and defeated her. Her death caused the Naill to shudder and bits of mud started to flow through the weakened roof. A statue of the T’skrang fertility goddess and a stylish purple hat were revealed as the ghoul queen shrank. Aegharan was still alive but unconscious and August Rey, Sarakka, and August’s mount went to collect the town papers while the rest of us rested beyond the Niall doors to drain the traps.

We escaped but the Niall was buried by mud and destroyed. I got a new magical hat to remember our battle and evergone survived. I doubted the T’skrang would have moved into this Niall, being so far from the river now but it is a shame that it did not survive.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:40 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks Felsic for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 40 Legend Points and 80 Silver