What happened to Aardelea?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Reshy
What happened to Aardelea?

Post by Reshy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Hello, I'm doing research on Drakes and of course this means I need to learn about Aardelea, the alleged first bred drake. However, the book where much of where her unusual changes were described was Barsaive at War, which was published by Living Room Games, not FASA. So I cannot be certain if it was faithful to how FASA intended to present Aardelea or not. So I'd like to ask if I can get a yes or no regarding this, and if the character has shown up in 4e, and if so what's going on with her.

Tanthalas

Re: What happened to Aardelea?

Post by Tanthalas » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 pm

My understanding is that, unless stated otherwise in the updated timeline in the Gamemaster's Guide, the Second Edition stuff is broadly accurate. Aardelea has not appeared in any Fourth Edition materials as far as I am aware, and I haven't heard of any planned works that seem likely to include her, so we have nothing to go on.

I think it is probably safe to assume that she has indeed become a drake (as it is heavily foreshadowed in First Edition adventures), though the particulars of it may not completely jibe with what was published in Barsaive At War.
Legends of Barsaive Guru

Nominally Knowledgeable

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:42 am

I haven't decided what is going on with Aardelea. I haven't taken a look (recently) at what the original BAW outline did with her, and while her fate is important in some respects, it is less important from a 'launching a new edition' standpoint than the broader socio-political climate in Barsaive.

Part of the issue is that her story is kind of tied up in the ED1 metaplot. ED4 is intended (in some respects) to be a good jumping in point for those new to the setting. I haven't given any thought to how to bring her in to that situation -- we can't assume that people know who she is or why she is important.

So... *shrug* I don't know. Barring a creative bolt from the blue, I would say she's still off where Hefera shipped her in the wake of Prelude to War.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Now I'm wondering if anybody saved a copy of LRG's Table of Random Grimness.

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Mataxes wrote:Part of the issue is that her story is kind of tied up in the ED1 metaplot. ED4 is intended (in some respects) to be a good jumping in point for those new to the setting. I haven't given any thought to how to bring her in to that situation -- we can't assume that people know who she is or why she is important.
Which makes me think: once the announced sourcebooks are released, are there plans to propose campaign books for ED4 like Prelude to War, or even adventure collections? Even as purely digital/print-on-demand products.
Besides Legends of Barsaive, I mean.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Spader

Post by Spader » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:48 am

Funny, I always thought Aardelea was the true story behind "The Harwood Incident".

I thought the caravan was, in fact, a rescue party bringing Aardelea back to Icewing's lair.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:03 pm

Spader wrote:Funny, I always thought Aardelea was the true story behind "The Harwood Incident".

I thought the caravan was, in fact, a rescue party bringing Aardelea back to Icewing's lair.
That's not a bad idea, and certainly workable in your Barsaive.

Valentius

Post by Valentius » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Umm.... For those of us who don't know everything about Earthdawn.... Who is Aardelea?

I've been trying to figure that out since the thread started, lol...

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:00 pm

Valentius wrote:Umm.... For those of us who don't know everything about Earthdawn.... Who is Aardelea?

I've been trying to figure that out since the thread started, lol...
She's the central character of the adventure Infected, and a major part of Prelude to War.

To give a very crude summary, she's a young girl who
Spoiler:
came in contact with an ancient book of Dragon lore, and as a result got to share her body with a Drake spirit that seems to be slowly taking over. She becomes of interest to both the Dragons and Thera as they believe that, contrary to the regular Drakes, she might be able to reproduce.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:23 am

Marzhin wrote:She's the central character of the adventure Infected, and a major part of Prelude to War.
Well, one part of Prelude to War.