Sharing Adventures

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Slimcreeper
Sharing Adventures

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:37 pm

I wonder ... is there a place or a way to share adventures Gamemasters have written for their groups? I'm not interested in starting a Earthdawn site myself, but I occasionally make things I'd like to share and it would be great to see what other people have done.

Edit: and also to get feedback! Constructive criticism before running something in front of a group!

Tanthalas

Re: Sharing Adventures

Post by Tanthalas » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm not sure what kind of place or method you are looking for, but I can offer some ideas, perhaps.

I do most of my Gamemaster note taking on Google Drive or Obsidian Portal. Both of those sites offer hosting and a bevvy of sharing options. It might make sense to put something you want to share on one of those two resources, then share the link here on the FASA forum. Then those that are interested can look at your work and discuss it in a thread.

I'm not sure how many people are hanging around these forums who are interested in reviewing adventures and such. I don't have as much time to dedicate to Earthdawn as I would like (all of the time, obviously), but if I can find the time to read something that you want to share here I'd be happy to give you feedback, so you have at least one! :D
Legends of Barsaive Guru

Nominally Knowledgeable

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:19 pm

I was thinking more of a library-type resource, like the old Book of Tomorrow or Publishing Trust. There's not anything like that active, is there?

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:25 am

Want a new sub-forum?
Todd Bogenrief
Noble Armada Line Developer, U18 Rules Guru

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:45 am

Maaaaybe!

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:05 am

Just like that, there it was. :)

Adventurer's Journal
Todd Bogenrief

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:01 am

Wasn't there an Earthdawn compedium site? What happened with it?

Subforum could use some rules like what description should have etc.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:37 am

Kosmit wrote:Subforum could use some rules like what description should have etc.
If you're talking about the new journal subforum Bogie just put together, feel free to make some recommendations on what you think would be good. Better yet, hit said subforum and post a few of your own journals in a format you find appealing. My experience with most products is that people often follow prior examples - if you come out of the gate with initial entries, good chance you'll set the tone others may naturally follow.

Aside from that, my personal thoughts are that it isn't a great idea to be overly prescriptive. Some group keep bullet-point style logs, which some may still enjoy reading. Other groups have logs that are fairly out-of-character perspective. Some groups have a community journal where they try to equally describe everyone's actions and contributions. In my current group, lack of interest from other players has left the journal to me, and I keep it as an in-character perspective, meaning my character naturally gets more stage time and attention in the journal than the others. Some journals just start and stop with each session. My journal has the in-game date and generalize location at the start of each entry, much like you might find in a true adventurer's log, and may have multiple entries for a single session or a single entry spanning multiple sessions. None of these are wrong or better or best. Moreover, trying to prescribe format or required content will likely discourage people from contributing if they have to rewrite and reformat just to share.

Bogie

Post by Bogie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:41 pm

We added a bit for how to tag spoilers.
Spoiler:
Darth Vader is Kaiser Soze
but other than that I don't know that we have much of a set format. I figured we could see how people started posting in there and add any other guidelines as needed.
Todd Bogenrief