Just got the books!

Discussion of GMing 1879. Warning: Here there be spoilers!
Slimcreeper
Just got the books!

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:33 pm

And I'm pretty excited. My first impression is that it seems perfect for a sandbox campaign. My second is that I really probably do need some pre-written adventures. It is dense! The variety of professions alone is pretty impressive, and that's before I've even gotten really into the world and the various sources of opposition. It'll be interesting to see how the presence of firearms plays out in terms of dynamics, and how the analytical engines function in-game. Listening to some Shadowrun actual podcasts sometimes you hear the players for non-hacker types grumble that they just don't have anything to do during matrix sequences. (I've never actually played Shadowrun, so can't speak to it.)

Graymayne

Re: Just got the books!

Post by Graymayne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Gratz, Slim, while I'm a bit interested, the timing isn't so good to support anything atm. So do me a favor, Take 1879 and compare it between both systems, Earthdawn and Shadowrun and show me not the "core" technical differences, but all the areas that have the same flavors, then take the differences and show me the core differences, but how Earthdawn leads into them or how they match Shadowrun.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Well, in quick (I haven't finished reading all of the material), 1879 supports a _lot_ of different games. You can essentially go on steampunk shadowruns, do high-level political/social intrigue, run a scrappy muck-raking newspaper, go on a safari on an alien world, play on the frontlines of a war, explore ancient ruins, etc. And you can bounce back and forth between them with most characters. It carefully models the social stratification of Victorian England, which I think imposes some limits, although it aggressively breaks down the historical gender barriers. The biggest theme is World in Flux.

I've never actually played Shadowrun, although I've listened to some actual play podcasts. It's got a similar flavor to the magic, at first blush. Potentially powerful, but with a high cost. There are hackers (Byrons) for the Analytical Engines and there is a system for Engine combat, but it's not as divorced from regular play as it is in Shadowrun. The Boojuns (trolls, dwarves, orks) only made the transition 2 years ago, so they are in a weird place. Trolls can carry heavy machine guns, and I'm sorry, but that is sick as hell. In general, though, I don't think it is nearly as combat oriented.

As compared to Earthdawn, the magic level is way lower. Overall, I think the game is probably much deadlier. Wounds can get infected, which can straight-up kill you if you leave them untreated. Adepts in ED can feel somewhat apart from the general population, and I don't think that'll be the case in 1879. There aren't many teasers that connect the worlds that I've come across so far, except for a really neat possible explanation as to why t'skrang are so different from the other Namegivers and why their birthrate is declining. But, I have only just started the GMG, so there may be a lot more of that sort of thing.

The books are dense - probably a bit overloaded, to be honest. My 40-yo eyes would have appreciated a larger font. Some of the smaller artwork is kind of forgettable, but nearly all of the big pieces are amazing. There's this one of a troll being swarmed by the bobbies as his confederates get away that just kills me.

Graymayne

Post by Graymayne » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Nothing that screams, must get. :-/ But it does sound interesting. I'll stay with Earthdawn for now then, but keep an eye and ear out on this one. As for eyes, my doctor just gave me bifocals and I'm only 46, I was thinking already, when she told me, lol.

Thanks Slim.

Buliesson

Post by Buliesson » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:09 am

Soundtrack to Victory! A Small World Cup gets fresh beats! New music and sounds pump up the excitement and make every goal celebration even more epic!

mariah9x

Post by mariah9x » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:46 am

The richness of the setting, the variety of professions, and the complexity of the world provide a fantastic backdrop for a sandbox campaign. mapquest driving directions

lemodoj343

Post by lemodoj343 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:45 am

Hi! If you love hunting, the service http://hunting-fishing-gear.com/ is your indispensable assistant. Here you will find everything you need for successful hunting: from equipment to tips on choosing a place for hunting. I always find here a lot of useful information and tips that help me to make my hunting outings even more successful.

JaxonEli

seoo

Post by JaxonEli » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:21 pm

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. https://www.posterprintcenter.com/falcon-boards.html

MargaretShmitt

Post by MargaretShmitt » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:21 pm

Thank you! Great apps! I have been using it for a long time. This online platform https://paperwriter.com/write-my-discussion-board-post specializes in providing a wide range of services specifically designed to meet the academic needs of students like us.Recognizing that every assignment is unique, these services tailor their approach to meet the specific requirements and preferences of each student. Whether it's a tight deadline, a challenging topic, or specific formatting guidelines, writers work closely with students to deliver papers that precisely meet their needs.

LouisNelson

Post by LouisNelson » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:06 pm

Thanks! I have great pleasure reading it! As a student myself, I understand the importance of finding reliable resources to enhance academic performance. Students frequently rely on websites to help write essays to improve their academic performance. These platforms offer valuable support, especially when faced with tight deadlines or complex topics. However, it's crucial to choose reputable services to ensure quality work and avoid issues like plagiarism. Personally, I've found such websites to be a lifesaver during hectic academic periods, providing me with professionally written essays that have undoubtedly contributed to my success. So, if you're considering utilizing these services, just remember to do your research and choose wisely.