A New Book of Dragons

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Marzhin
A New Book of Dragons

Post by Marzhin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Something crossed my mind. I guess all members of these boards know of the Book of Dragons FASA Corporation was planning near the end of the first edition of Earthdawn, full of revelations and secrets.

Later Living Room Games picked up the unfinished book and released it for ED2 as a "revised and expanded" edition that contained, from what I heard, a few questionable additions (a Cathayan dragon, IIRC, and some adventure seeds, possibly other things).

Since ED4 has moved to the post-War era and the Denairastas of Iopos are building up to become the main antagonsists of the game, wouldn't it be an interesting move to release a new version of the Book of Dragons that would update the information to the current state of affairs while also offering some adventures and campaign ideas for the Iopos vs. Barsaive conflict?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

etherial

Re: A New Book of Dragons

Post by etherial » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Marzhin wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:55 pm
Since ED4 has moved to the post-War era and the Denairastas of Iopos are building up to become the main antagonsists of the game, wouldn't it be an interesting move to release a new version of the Book of Dragons that would update the information to the current state of affairs while also offering some adventures and campaign ideas for the Iopos vs. Barsaive conflict?
The book was finished except for the art. It shouldn't be too hard to find yourself a copy of the ED1 .pdf, it was released into the wild by the original developers. I have other ideas for how I'd want to reveal the Iopos vs. Everyone conflict that I keep meaning to write FASA about, although an updated ED4 version of Dragons might be a good product either way.

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 pm

etherial wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:30 pm
The book was finished except for the art. It shouldn't be too hard to find yourself a copy of the ED1 .pdf, it was released into the wild by the original developers.
Sure, I have it and read it, like most people here I guess.
But my point is about the ED4 line as a whole and what new players may need. The threat of Thera was "simple" (big old slaver empire), but the Denairastas are not that easy to use without knowing some background on Dragons first. That's why I think an updated Book of Dragons (even if it reuses, say, 70% of the old text) may be a good idea, especially if it also gives some adventure ideas to foreshadow the larger conflict (which definitely would need its own book).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:01 am

I'm not keen on a "new" Dragons book. Not only was there the ED1 PDF release and the ED2 version, but it also provided a lot of the info in the ED3 GM Companion. Much like releasing a "new" Namegivers book, or "new" Serpent River... it treads too closely to the "reprint everything for the new edition" for my taste, and I don't see what a new Dragons book would offer that would make it worthwhile.

We are talking about what's going on with the overall story, and Iopos's plans and such. It's not nailed down, but an Iopos book is high on mine and Morgan's wish list. There's a magic "grab bag" book planned for after Questors (including stuff that we couldn't squeeze in to the core books, like a bunch of updated and new spells). After that... Iopos would be awesome.

That would be the place where we lay out their plans, reveal a few secrets...
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 am

Fair enough. Hope it all works out :)
And if possible don't forget to do some adventures too :)
(Groucho Marx)

BRW

Post by BRW » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:28 am

Mataxes wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:01 am
There's a magic "grab bag" book planned for after Questors (including stuff that we couldn't squeeze in to the core books, like a bunch of updated and new spells).
Let me chime in just to say that I really love to read that the expanded list of spells is planned for the next supplement after Questors.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:54 pm

It would definitely be worth offering a legit FASA copy/PDF of the 1E Dragons book, to go along with all the other available 1E material. Even if it is just the layout (missing art) version. The 2nd Ed edition is online (rpgnow, fasagames.com shop) but you have to know the history to even bother to look there for it.

In an epic piece of ED history, here is the current line developer's review of the Book of Dragon's 1E PDF release in 1999!
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/cla ... 1494.phtml

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:40 am

Iopos book: Very good idea. You guys can go ahead and spend my money for that, it will be an automatic buy for me.

Adventures are also pretty important, especially for lower circles. I personally have always made up adventures, they are probably pretty important to new GMs. And the thing Earthdawn needs more than anything else - more than books, more than forums, more than novels, more than anything - is new GMs starting new games. I would put quickstart rules and a really good introductory adventure at the top of every to-do list.

After that, an Earthdawn ambassador program with various incentives for bringing new people into the fold. If you run a game at a con, you get some points. If you run an intro game at a FLGS for new players, you get some points. Run an Earthdawn podcast or talk about Earthdawn a lot on social media, get some points. If someone buys a product at the FASA store and mentions your name in the comment box, you get a bunch of points. Then cash in the points for swag (exclusive minis, dice, a signed pinup of Josh in a toga. People could buy into the program for $20 and get a sweet Earthdawn Ambassador tshirt or hat. You get the idea.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Slimcreeper wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:40 am
a signed pinup of Josh in a toga
I've still got the cast photos from my high school production of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I played Senex.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:12 pm

DONE