AAR: [8M][E] Return to the Horror Cloud (2020-12-02 7:15 EST)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:35 am

LFG: [8M] Return to the Horror Cloud
Time: 2020-12-03 @ 00:15 GMT(This will occur on Wednesday December 2nd)
GM: Xzandrate
Difficulty: 8 Medium

Rumor: Durin the first flight of the Arngeir a citadel in the sky was found, surrounded by stormwraths and cadaverious wyverns. The Arngeir is ready to brave the approach to the citadel in the sky.

Requesting Player: Sandrin

Reward: Exploration and Adventure

Notes: (7:15 PM Eastern)
This is an Airship adventure, we will be in the sky.
As there are no official Airship mechanics we will be doing a bit of improvising, creativity in suggestions will be rewarded.
Last edited by Xzandrate on Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dougansf

Re: LFG: [8M][E] Return to the Horror Cloud (2020-12-02 7:15 EST)

Post by Dougansf » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:41 am

Name: Sandrin
Effective Circle Rating: 8 (229,520 LP)
Discipline: Air Sailor 8 / Troubadour 4 / Sun Herald 5
Unique: Melee, Social, Inspire Others, Thrown, and Navigation
Last Time Player Played: My Rumor

Downtime:
  • Craft Weapon at Step 7 (Rank 1) (Weapons up to Damage 2, 1 Day per Size)
  • Item History at Step 18 (Rank 4)
  • Research at Step 19 (Rank 5) (Step 22 with Library)
  • Librarian Knack Spend 1 success to reduce Research time by 1 day.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:33 am

Name: Norg
Last played on: 2020-11-20
ECR: 9 (445095lp)
Discipline: Gauntlet 9 / Air Sailor 5
Quote/Unique: The punch is not the goal, the punch is the way
Notable Abilities: PUNCH! JUMP! some awareness, some navigation, some wilderness survival, the worst physician this side of the mountains
Downtime: none

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:41 am

Name: Zivilyn
ECR: 9
Last Played: Nov 28
Discipline: Shaman/Wizard/Elementalist/Nethermancer 8/7/5/2
Notable Abilities: Spells, a little bit of everything at this point. Good with animals. I can fly, and so can my animal companion, and so can you with my help.
Downtime: Downtime: Animal Training (Talent) - Step 19 including karma (Rank 9) (can train up to 9 commands total, or improve non-combat skills by +1 per command used on it)
Research - Step 24 including karma (Rank 5). +3 to the step is available at a cost of 20 sp for access to the Great Library of Throal.
Item History - Step 19 including karma (Rank 6)
Last edited by Sharkforce on Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

verse86

Post by verse86 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:11 am

Name: Thorkell Gulbrandsen
Date of Last Game Played: 11/28/2020 (as Vallone)
ECR: 9
Discipline: Weaponsmith 9/Warrior 1
Unique: Thorkell brings the downtime activities. Besides that he is a perceptive and tanky troll. Just so happens to have Air Sailing Rank 2 Skill.
Downtime:
[Craftsman] Rank 9 / 31 (+2 if metal) can make mundane items, weapons, and armor
[Efficient Forge Weapon] Rank 10 / 23 (+2 if metal) (can forge rank weapons at once)
[Forge Armor] Rank 10 / 23 (+2 if metal)
[Item History] Rank 4 / 22
[Research] Rank 6 / 20
[Design Enchanting Pattern] Rank 10 / 28
[Craft True Pattern] Rank 10 / 32 (+2 if metal)
Last edited by verse86 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:42 pm

Name: A'horangi Ha'hana Syrtis
ECL: 8
Discipline: Monk
Quote/Unique: "Respectfully, I must now punch you."
Notable Abilities: Very polite dinosaur. Fully Item History/Research a Journeyman TI in one week.
Downtime: Research 1/22 (+3 for 20sp), Item History 3/24
Last Game Played: 2020-11-22

Lashana

Post by Lashana » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Name: LaShana
Last played on: 2020-11-22
ECR: 8 (219715)
Discipline: Thief 8
Quote/Unique: Well that was....interesting/fun/unique!! Can we do it again?
Notable Abilities: Enthusiasm and an ability to fumble/stumble into trouble. Can also open...and close....doors - possibly even if they are locked....and a wicked bow
Downtime: none

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:57 pm

Norg, LaShanna, A'horangi, Thorkell, and Zivilyn. All aboard for ADVENTURE!!!

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:38 am

AAR: Return to the Horror Cloud
GM: Xzandrate
ECR: 8
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Sandrin: 19000 LP 900 SP 3 TIP
Norg: 19000 LP 900 SP 3 TIP
LaShana: 19000 LP 900 SP 3 TIP
Thorkell: 19000 LP 900 SP 3 TIP
Zivilyn: 19000 LP 900 SP 3 TIP
A'Horangi: 19000 LP 900 SP 3 TIP

Alternate Rewards:

Journal Reward: +950 LP, +225 SP

GM Reward: Patrique Caduceure - 800 LP 200 SP 3 TIPS

Downtime:
Sandrin:
Craft Weapon at Step 7 (Rank 1) (Weapons up to Damage 2, 1 Day per Size)
Item History at Step 18 (Rank 4)
Research at Step 19 (Rank 5) (Step 22 with Library)
Librarian Knack Spend 1 success to reduce Research time by 1 day.

Zivilyn:
Animal Training (Talent) - Step 19 including karma (Rank 9) (can train up to 9 commands total, or improve non-combat skills by +1 per command used on it)
Research - Step 24 including karma (Rank 5). +3 to the step is available at a cost of 20 sp for access to the Great Library of Throal.
Item History - Step 19 including karma (Rank 6)

Thorkell:
[Craftsman] Rank 9 / 31 (+2 if metal) can make mundane items, weapons, and armor
[Efficient Forge Weapon] Rank 10 / 23 (+2 if metal) (can forge rank weapons at once)
[Forge Armor] Rank 10 / 23 (+2 if metal)
[Item History] Rank 4 / 22
[Research] Rank 6 / 20
[Design Enchanting Pattern] Rank 10 / 28
[Craft True Pattern] Rank 10 / 32 (+2 if metal)

A'horangi:
Research 1/22 (+3 for 20sp)
Item History 3/24

Summary: Success, all the preparations paid off and the Arngeir made it back in one piece. The Arngeir has broken through the Horror Cloud and gotten eyes on the Citadel. Eyes looked back, many dragon eyes and many cultist eyes. Could this be the Scourges base of operations? Soben Tarl and Shanktooth were overseeing some sort of operation with a lot of Hydras, and the citadel roared.

Sharkforce

Re: AAR: [8M][E] Return to the Horror Cloud (2020-12-02 7:15 EST)

Post by Sharkforce » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:51 am

From the Journal of Zivilyn, Windling Magician: Return to the Horror Cloud

I fear we have another Grakor on our hands. With every passing week I feel Barsaive becomes more and more endangered by those mad fools of the scourge, sucking the life blood out of our fair province like a parasite. Their insane rantings would have us driven back into our kaers and hunted by horrors, and I fear they are a far greater threat than even I had suspected.

Sandrin was heading up an expedition to investigate a floating citadel that was surrounding by what he described as a Horror Cloud (having seen it, that is a reasonably apt name, although storm wraiths are not properly horrors). Norg was always ready to go on an airship, of course, and I gather that this was something Sandrin had been preparing for some time; the Arngeir was armoured with crystal shards that were resistant to lightning strikes, and had special stone cannons that would propel stones that would shatter and strike an area rather than fire. It turns out that they weren't just sailing about and blowing things up purely for a night of drunken entertainment after all (though I suspect that was still *one* reason). Joining myself, Haze, Sandrin, and Norg were LaShana, A'horangi, and Thorkell.

As we approached, I prepared the group as best I could. Figuring that anything worthy of being described as a 'Horror Cloud' was deserving of my greatest spells, I called upon the spirits to strengthen our little War Party, and their assistance guided our hands and eyes and feet in the dance of death in the skies. First we had to get past the outermost sentries of the cloud, with dozens of storm wraiths and more undead wyverns than I care to think about. We broke through with relative ease; they had great numbers, but their speed was no match for the Arngeir, and we were able to soar past them, blasting a few along the way for good measure to delay them from intercepting us although we did not kill as many as I might have hoped for.

Once through the main cloud, we started clearing away the stragglers that had managed to catch hold of our ship. They were no match for us, but I fear that lesser adepts may have been overcome all too easily. Certainly I doubt that the crew of the ship would have been enough alone to defeat them. Sandrin even slashed the wings of one of the wyverns that had chased us from the main group and sent it to the ground where it undoubtedly was crushed by its fall, hopefully making it impossible to reanimate.

Our victory was rather short-lived though, as our hopes turned out to be in vain; the citadel was not surrounded by sieging hordes of horror constructs, but a source of them; Soben the Illusionist that escaped from the ever-burning city in the Scythan Mountains was there, as was an Ork that Norg recognized from the original attempt to steal the Broken Tusk airships. We could see what looked like Hydras patrolling within the walls of the citadel, and they had some sort of lightning cannon that they were firing at us (I fear they may be prepared differently the next time the Arngeir shows up, since I doubt that it had the effect they wanted on our specially-armoured ship).

Worse, A'horangi posits that the citadel itself may be alive, bringing to mind their earlier efforts to imbue a horror into an airship. If they have corrupted a citadel, that is truly bad news. All I can say for certain is that the vines hanging from the bottom seemed to be reaching for us, the citadel was not in the place that Sandrin and Norg had expected, and I swear I heard it growl at us. I cannot say if it is the very horror that Norg and I stopped earlier, but I am only grateful that they did not have a horror-infused airship to send after us.

With the horror cloud trailing behind us, and the monstrous creations in front of us, it seemed unlikely that we would be able to defeat them with the few that we had with us. As much as I have developed a great distaste for leaving things to later, this is not something that I think a mere handful of Adepts are going to take on alone. We will need at least a small fleet of airships or a small army of adepts, or perhaps both. Perhaps I should check in on the Throalic Air Navy and see how they're doing... I'm sure I could help them raise a few griffins if they need the assistance. I think we might need more than a few in the coming months.