Saddleborn [path]

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
Saddleborn [path]

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:17 pm

I did the thing that Panda said we shouldn't :D
** Edited pretty heavily!

Cavalryfolk
** This is written with Panda’s Animal Companion rules in mind. http://pandagaminggrove.blogspot.com/se ... +companion

The Saddleborn Path originated in the great central plains of Barsaive within the nomadic ork tribes. The most notorious are of course the Scorchers, the raiders that have made palisades and archery training de rigueur in every hamlet. However, not just as every tribe is not Scorchers, not every ork on a horse is a Cavalryman. These days, there are also more than just orks in the saddles. Although maybe that’s always been true. There are Archers, traveling Troubadours and Weaponsmiths, and even magicians with tight, even mystical bonds with their mounts.

Furthermore, Saddleborn have extended their reach beyond their origins with the tribes. Now Saddleborn can be found in nearly every culture in the province. Members of the Path manifest an almost unlimited variety of combinations of Disciplines, races, and professions. The one characteristic that links them all together is experience they share of having a bond with a mount that is more intimate than nearly any other relationship they can form. Even when Saddleborn find themselves on opposite sides of a conflict, they understand in a fundamental way that escapes other people. After all, they know what it means to have the courage and strength required to be truly vulnerable, to open your heart completely to another creature, to interweave your very magical essence with a partner that understands you in a way that transcends language. Often Saddleborn will recognize each other as such the instant their eyes meet, forming the basis of mutual respect. They may become lovers, rivals, or even mortal enemies, but they will always see something of themselves in each other.

Saddleborn may progress in their disciplines to the point where their mount would not survive adventuring with them. The Saddleborn will not end their relationship with the mount, but may add another bond to a more durable partner. Their relationship with their original mount is not based solely on what they can do for each other. Some of that does come into play, naturally. A Warrior Saddleborn will bond to a warhorse, not a miniature pony. But the bond is deeper than mutual aid. They will be content to maintain their relationship by visiting and spending time with each other, even without the threat of mortal danger. Such semi-retired mounts may be tasked with training young riders, providing companionship to the Saddleborn’s family, and other such honorable responsibilities. When the mount passes away, the Saddleborn will feel it in their gut, no matter the distance between them. They will be compelled to return to their friend and provide a memorial according to their tradition.

If their mount is damaged to the point of unconsciousness or killed, Saddleborn are known to fly into a rage, pushing themselves beyond their normal limits to avenge or protect their fallen friend.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mlw ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Slimcreeper on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lursi

Re: Cavalryfolk [path]

Post by Lursi » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:57 pm

A daring move. In a way it feels like the right way to go but it is a difficult balance. It is just an important piece of Earthdawn.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Sharkforce

Re: Cavalryfolk [path]

Post by Sharkforce » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:45 pm

I think a perspective shift is the main thing that is needed. Cavalryman as a base discipline is kind of important to the setting, but we don't necessarily have to think of adventuring cavalryman adepts the same as the ones that ride around the plains.

so sure, there's ork scorchers riding around on dyres and horses, but consider that the popular cavalry mounts for dwarfs (particularly huttawa, troajin, although the riding goat works to a lesser extent) are much better for adventurers.

they may not fit into *quite* as tight of a kaer-crawl as a kue, or have the zoak's flight, but both huttawa and troajin have great leap and climb available to them which frankly probably means that not only can they go into a kaer, but they're probably more capable of navigating in that kaer than the Namegivers in the party. they're also much shorter in general than horses (4 feet at the shoulder for huttawa, 3 feet for troajin), so low ceilings won't be as much of a problem, and huttawa are even suitable mounts for humans, t'skrang, elves, and even orks. combine that with a pounce attack that helps them stay effective even when they can't properly charge, *especially* valuable in the early circles before they can use wheeling charge, and I think you've got a much easier time for a cavalryman by simply choosing a mount that is appropriate to their goals.

importantly, they are also not the sort of mount where you're likely to need to go on a special quest to get one; huttawa and troajin are only unusual, and riding goats are average.

that still leaves some difficulties for trolls and obsidimen, but for the most part I think if you're looking at making a cavalryman that isn't going to spend all their time riding across the open plains, the cavalryman simply has to consider some different options.

this is not terribly different from the thief or troubadour who intends to do a lot of kaer-diving; weapon skills are probably not the main concern for your average troubadour that travels from city to city building their legend by performing for ever larger crowds, and the city thief probably doesn't worry about keeping their ability to disarm traps as high as the one that is scavenging the ruins of parlainth. even something like a warrior will find that the skills, tools and weapons they want available to them vary depending on the situation; unarmed is unlikely to come up much in serious combat if you're usually fighting other namegivers, but the first time you get grappled, you're going to start thinking it might not be that bad to put a few extra points into it, for example.

Slimcreeper

Re: Saddleborn [path]

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:49 pm

I changed it pretty dramatically before I read your bit, Sharkforce. I do think the difficulties of including Cavalrymen are overblown, though.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:08 am

Then, the next path is called „townsfolk“ with some political/market/crafting talents? ;)

Something that gives the Warrior the opportunity to rise as a famous general ?

Something that allows the Magician to become a successful alchemist?
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:01 pm

Don't tempt me! There's already full blown disciplines that help you become a famous singer and traveling tinker. There's a path that lets you pretend your character is in grad school. And I play 1879, where you can pretend to be a rich person. Not like batman or anything, just rich.