AAR [8H] Symposium  2020-08-01 @18:00 GMT  

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:35 pm

LFG: Symposium
Time: 2020-08-01 @18:00 GMT   (Sat 1 PM Eastern)
GM: Chris D
Rating: 8H.
Eligible Characters: ECR 7 to 9.
Mission organized by: Daldorer   (Etherial)
Rumor:   http://www.fasagames.com/forum/viewtopi ... =58&t=1969  

You are cordially invited to attend this years Throalic Faunatical Society annual symposium. This year we have chosen to have our symposium in Travar! We have chartered a Travarian merchant airship, which will be departing from outside the gates of Throal shortly before dawn on .... We will arrive at Travar .... Stay one week, and arrive back in Throal approximately ... 

While in Travar, in addition to the papers that many of you will be presenting, we will be having excursion to the many fabulous sights of this ancient and cultured city, highlights will include ...  ... ..., an optional excursion to the nearby area the people of Travar are referring to as "The Badlands", sure to be of interest to all members of the Faunatical Society, and also ..., ..., ...

Note:  This year we have invited some additional, non-traditional, guests who have traveled widely and seen many fascinating creatures (and chopped them up with swords), we hope that you will all take this opportunity to speak with these widely traveled guests.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: This mission is intended to be roleplay and investigation heavy, with little or no combat. If that is not what you are looking for, don't sign up. 
Also note that this is a HARD roleplay and investigation. Chance of character death is much lower than most hard missions, but chance of failure must still be present. Therefor mission success will be judged by quality of roleplay as well as success of the investigation. My goal in this particular session is to present a series of challenges to characters who are good at this sort of thing. Failed interactions might block out certain lines of progress, and too many lines of investigation blocked out can result in mission failure. So please go into this mission with the understanding that reasonably qualified characters have a reasonably high chance of failing this mission. Bring your 'A' game.

Reward: Entry to the Scholar path or Discounted Item History & Research.  Training in Research or any Knowledge Skills or any Scholar Talent. 

Please sign up with the following.

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] 
[b]Last time you (player) played:[/b] 
[b]Circle:[/b] 
[b]Discipline:[/b]
[b]Quote/Unique:[/b] 
[b]Notable Abilities:[/b]
[b]Downtime:[/b]
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Waijhou

Re: LFG [8H] Symposium  2020-08-01 @17:00 GMT  

Post by Waijhou » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:11 pm

b]Name:[/b] Xeviouz
Last time you (player, not character) played: July 29, 2020
Circle: 9/3 (ECR9)
Discipline: Warrior/Horror Stalker
Quote/Unique: Lets do this!
Notable Abilities: Sword & Board
Downtime: ---
Last edited by Waijhou on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:13 am

Name: Dvarim Bolg
ECL: 9
Discipline: Weaponsmith / Elementalist
Quote/Unique: "Well, that ain't right."
Notable Abilities: Physician, Lock Pick, Chiseled Dwarven Good Looks (and I'm pretty decent at conversating).
Downtime:
  • Forge Weapon 9/22
  • Forge Armor 9/22
  • Craftsman (anything) 9/26
  • Design Enchanting Pattern 9/22
  • Enchant True Pattern 9/26
  • Item History 4/17
Last Game Played: 2020-07-04 (Blackhawk Down)

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:31 am

Name: Daldorer
Last Game Played:2020-07-19
Effective Circle: 8
Discipline: Nethermancer
Quote/Unique: Daddy can make you feel better
Notable Abilities: Astral Sight, Research, Experience Death, Shadow's Whisper, Viewpoint
Downtime:
Alchemy Step 8. Recipes: Booster Potion and Small Light Quartz
Research Step 21.

Aegharan

Re: LFG [8H] Symposium  2020-08-01 @18:00 GMT  

Post by Aegharan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 am

Name: Karl Tomsson
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-07-11
ECR: 8
Discipline: Archer (8) & Beastmaster (5)
Quote/Unique: I see.
Notable Abilities: Decent Charisma, extraordinary Perception, some social Talents, sneaking, Tactics, and a dancing Bear that has been to Travar before!
Downtime:
Animal Training (talent rank 8 step 18)
Forge Weapon (rank 6 Step 18, 3 successes if up to 3 prior forgings, 2 after that)
Research (Rank 3 Step 15, or Step 18 with Library Access)

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Name: Dubhan Goronich
Date of Last Game Played (by player): 2020-07-19
Circle: 9 (ECR 9, 406,220 legend)
Discipline: Wizard
Unique: Spells (Buffs, Astral Sensing, Debuffs, etc.), Physician
Downtime: Research Step 26 (Library access worth it for Warden items)
Alchemy Step 12 (Booster Potions, Small Light Crystals, Kelix' Poultice) (1 Day Downtime).
Creation of Spell Matrix Objects: 1,000 sp, 4 days for Standard, 2,000 sp, 5 days for Enhanced. And yes, that's the 1/2 off price. :D
Design Enchanting Pattern: Minimum 4 TIPs, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details
Craft True Pattern (i.e. create Thread Item): Requires a Pattern. 3 TIPs minimum, 2 weeks Downtime, Silver cost varies, contact for details

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:46 am

Name: William Carver
Date Last Played July 29th, 2020
ECR: 9 ( 256,075 LP)
Race: Human
Discipline: Scout 8 Thief 5, Journeyman 1, Cavalryman 4
Quote/Unique: I'll get you there and back again.
Notable Abilities:
Talented: Locks/Traps, Stealth/Scouting, Ranged/Melee, map making. Animal bond/borrow. Safe Path! Sleeps with One Eye Open, Orbital Spy in the sky!
Items: Pure Water Pot (cast the Purify Water spell, p. 190, with a Spellcasting and Effect Step of 8/2D6 on any liquid placed in them). Upandal's Blessings (tools that let him reroll failed artisan checks)
Potions: Kelia's Antidote (1), Booster Potion (5), Kelix's Poultice (1), Halt Illness Potion (1), Healing Potion (3), Last Chance Salve (3)
Mounted: Huttawa named Charlie and he's sworn, He might also swear.. I don't have animal talk yet.
Downtime: Versatile Forge Weapon (5) Step 12, Step 16 with karma. Versatile Research 7 Step (14) (17 with library access) Steps 16 or 21 depending on library access and Karma. Versatile Item History 5 (12) Step 16 with Karma. (Karma spent with Applied versatility) Animal Training rank 4 (9) step 13 with Karma
Last edited by Montaugh on Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:16 pm

Daldorer, Dubhan, Dvarim, Karl, and William: Put on your best duds, it's time for Scholar Prom!

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:47 pm

AAR:

Player Rewards: 8-H
Daldorer: 28,000 lp, 1,350 sp, 5 TIPs. Entry to Scholar path
Dubhan, : 28,000 lp, 1,350 sp, 5 TIPs.
Dvarim, : 28,000 lp, 1,350 sp, 5 TIPs.
Karl: 28,000 lp, 1,350 sp, 5 TIPs.
William: 28,000 lp, 1,350 sp, 5 TIPs.

Journal Bonus: 1400 Legend, 337.5 Silver
GM Rewards (Zil) 19,000 lp, 900 sp, 3 TIPs.

Downtime:
Daldorer, Alchemy Step 8. Recipes: Booster Potion and Small Light Quartz
Research Step 21.
Dubhan: Research Step 26 (Library access worth it for Warden items)
Alchemy Step 12 (Booster Potions, Small Light Crystals, Kelix' Poultice) (1 Day Downtime).
Creation of Spell Matrix Objects: 1,000 sp, 4 days for Standard, 2,000 sp, 5 days for Enhanced. And yes, that's the 1/2 off price
Design Enchanting Pattern: Minimum 4 TIPs, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details
Craft True Pattern (i.e. create Thread Item): Requires a Pattern. 3 TIPs minimum, 2 weeks Downtime, Silver cost varies, contact for details
Dvarim: Forge Weapon 9/22, Forge Armor 9/22, Craftsman (anything) 9/26, Design Enchanting, Pattern 9/22, Enchant True Pattern 9/26, Item History 4/17
Karl: Animal Training (talent rank 8 step 18)
Forge Weapon (rank 6 Step 18, 3 successes if up to 3 prior forgings, 2 after that)
Research (Rank 3 Step 15, or Step 18 with Library Access)
William: Versatile Forge Weapon (5) Step 12, Step 16 with karma. Versatile Research 7 Step (14) (17 with library access) Steps 16 or 21 depending on library access and Karma. Versatile Item History 5 (12) Step 16 with Karma. (Karma spent with Applied versatility) Animal Training rank 4 (9) step 13 with Karma

Alternate awards:
Entry to the Scholar path, Discounted Item History & Research. Training in Research or any Knowledge Skills or any Scholar Talent.

Further Information:
A small group of Deceivers were attempting to format distrust on a inter-city scale by making it known that House K'tenshin was working with an unknown party to spy on other cities. Also the deceivers were trying to make it seem as if the Eye of Throal was killing secret agents inside Travar. One Deceiver was publicly unmasked and killed, at least one other got away inside of Travar.
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:47 pm

Travarian zoological Society hosts the Faunatical society, for the annual Faunatical Symposium. Daldorer was invited as a speaker, and Dubhan, Dvarim, William, and I came along to see the talk, be there for Daldorer, and enjoy the followin Cocktail Party.

We travelled via Airship, although Reuben and I had to stay under deck, locked away.

The city also seems to have had some trouble with either very aggressive, or very incompetent Beastmasters. I again have to acknowledge that I will have to take legal responsibility for everything that Reuben does, as if it was my action and full intent.

We are quickly ushered to a Mansion owned by a member of the Travarian zoological Society, greeted, and then immediately taken to an inn where we move into some rooms, unpack and fresh up.
After some hours we have yet another change of place and head to the place of the meeting.

Parents of a member, Charles Pyke, one of the most eligible bachelors of Travar. His presence has increased the number of women attending the Symposium significantly. Said Charles Pyke had just been to the Servos Jungle, studying Snakes for a whole year.
Talking to him he immediately glistened about his snake, Emma, a - to us - previously unknown kind of venomous snake, which is basically attached to his neck, perfectly contempt to be carried around.

I mostly staid in the mansion's center, in the garden area. All the time people came along and asked questions about Reuben, Honey Bears, and Bears in general. Reuben got fed a LOT of treats and enjoyed the peoples' company, and me spending so much time tending to his paws when I showed his claws, and me dancing with him.

Daldorer's talk was very intensely followed. Talking about horror-controlled namegivers, they were even shortly heckled by a T'Skrang Airship Captain, Pe'rry F'ogg. She was rude, but Dvarim asked her to stay silent.

When we headed to the Inn's common room for breakfast the next morning, the landlord and a helper are going up the steps with a crowbar and a hammer. We offer our help and find out that the heckling T'Skrang, Captain F'ogg, died to snakebites. Daldorer used magic to find out more about the death, and was significantly hampered by the poison too. He did however tell us that the Captain was killed by a snake with two heads, one on each end. William and I found a scale of said snake, but were unable to track it. It must have already been more than 8 miles away.

We talked to the first officer who was waiting for their captain, but didn't get much useful information. Dvarim headed off to talk to the organizer of the event, and found out that Joseph Blaine, a dwarf with an extraordinary of several thousand Beetle exhibition, had some interest in or business with the Captain. He, Dubhan, and Daldorer headed off to talk to the dwarf. He did not like the Captain and was somewhat pleased at the news that something could have happened to her. He did not, however, have any leads for us.
William and I went to the Captain's ship to see if we get access to the ship's logbooks. Reuben and I danced for some money to distract the anchor watch. We gave those to a Scribe and headed off to Charles Pike. He seemes to have been honest and also did not know anything about two-headed snakes.
William was questioned by the guards, among others about ringing the Servant's Bell last night, although he hadn't. The servants said that once they came up, they were sent down again by William.

Bringing all the info together, we were suddenly notified that another corpse was found. Daldorer did the same experience death again and found out that the servant was killed by somebody smaller, like a Dwarf. Then he saw in the last moments that somebody walk away looking like the same servant who had died.

We later found out that William indeed had been up last night because he'd heard some commotion, but had gotten hit with a Memory Scribe spell. We were now pretty sure that we're up against some kind of Illusionist. We headed back to the Symposium and astrally searched for something to strike us as odd.
Dubhan suddenly hit me in the arm, took out one of his steel pebbles, and whispered "Boom!", sending it at Blaine, the bug-collecting dwarf. I immediately shouted for Reuben to attack and sent two arrows at the dwarf, jumping near and across him to make myself a good target, while Reuben ripped into the dwarf, knocked him over, and William and Daldorer finished it. Dvarim looked splendidly, standing over the corpse.