Gaunlet counted as Weapon

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Sushy
Gaunlet counted as Weapon

Post by Sushy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:08 am

Hi!

Its phrased that Gaunlets are counted as Weopens for Targeting.

Does that mean he can benefit from Spells like FireWeapons but also be countered from Talent Riposte?

BR
Sascha

Slimcreeper

Re: Gaunlet counted as Weapon

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Hmm, I have a gauntlet and an elementalist in my game, I'm curious about this also ...

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Gauntlet as in "an attached weapon" can be targeted with spells that enhance weapons:
Player Guide p406 wrote: They are still considered weapons and can be targeted as such by talents such as Disarm or Riposte, or by spells or abilities that target or enhance weapons.
Gauntlet as in the discipline, does not count as a weapon (normally) even if their friends lift them like a club.
However, both Claw Shape and Body Control include text like this:
Player Guide p134 wrote: These are considered weapons for the purposes of targeting, though may not be removed by Disarm.
As for riposte the crucial bits are:
Player Guide p165 wrote: The adept uses his melee weapon to block an opponent’s melee attack
Companion p103 wrote: The adept can use Riposte against unarmed attacks, including creature attacks.
Note how it says "melee" instead of the usual "close combat", this coupled with the wording of the Claw Riposte knack (second quote) implies that Riposte can only be used against attacks that use the Melee Weapons talent/skill, not those that use Unarmed Combat

gazlaack

Post by gazlaack » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:14 pm

Body control say your hand count as a weapon of your size

Sushy

Post by Sushy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Mmm, it’s not really clear for me yet.
If body control is a weapon which can be targeted but not disarmed what is targeted? I mean a targeted attack at a limb is always possible and no need to mention it explicited. So does here just misses the phrase targeted by spells?
And is a body control attack now a weaponed “unarmed combat” and can be riposted and even one step further can A gauntlet using body control , which is used the complete round, can use riposte himself?
I understand the arguments so far but still it’s not clear in my opinion so far.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:14 pm

When using Body Control, the body is a weapon and can be targeted by effects that target weapons (which includes spells), but not things that causes disarm.
Riposte specifically says the attack has to be performed with the Melee Weapons (or related talents), Body Control is still an unarmed attack and requires claw riposte
I'm not sure what you mean by the gauntlet riposting themselves, you cannot riposte an attack you are not the target of. If you mean "can someone using Body Control" use Riposte against an attack after they have activated the talent, I'm pretty sure the answer is no. They are not wielding a melee weapon, because it is not used with the Melee Attack talent.