AAR: [6M] Yippee ai ayy yippee ai ooh. 2020 Jul 07 @2000 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Shokunin
AAR: [6M] Yippee ai ayy yippee ai ooh. 2020 Jul 07 @2000 GMT

Post by Shokunin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:41 am

LFG: Yippee ai ayy yippee ai ooh
Time: 2020 Jul 07 @2000 GMT (4pm EDT)
GM: Vlolkir
Difficulty: 6 Medium

There is a new child of the Monkhiin-Tenger who shows affinity for the spirits, and so it is time for Temur to let Ayanga go help this new spirit rider. And thus, also time for Temur to earn the loyalty of a new ghost horse. Bijili Bone-Eye, shaman of the clan, has told Temur of a shrine to the Horse Spirits (HEX 50.15). He is to go there and offer barley and blood, and a horse spirit will answer. He is to do as the spirit asks. He should bring allies, for this is a quest of friendship, bonds, and likely danger.

Benefit: Temur gets a horse that is smarter than he is, everyone else gets a fun story out of it.
Last edited by Shokunin on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sharkforce

Re: LFG [6M] Yippee ai ayy yippee ai ooh. 07Jul2020 @2000 GMT

Post by Sharkforce » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:28 am

Name: Zivilyn
ECR: 6
Last Played: Jul 1, but possibly Jul 6 by the time this comes around.
Discipline: Shaman/Wizard/Elementalist 5/3/2
Notable Abilities: Spells, mostly buffs and heals. Good with animals.
Downtime: Downtime: Animal Training (Talent) - Step 16 including karma (Rank 6) (can train up to 6 commands total, or improve non-combat skills by +1 per command used on it)
Research - Step 21 including karma (Rank 4). +3 to the step is available at a cost of 20 sp for access to the Great Library of Throal.
Item History - Step 15 including karma (Rank 4)

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:38 am

Going to bow out of this one, bit over committed this week
Last edited by Xzandrate on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:09 pm

This is a secondary character. But it's my request.

Name: Temur Tengerkhan
Circle: 6/4 (ECL 6)
Discipline: Spirit Rider / War Rider
Quote/Unique: "Those are good thoughts for thinking."
Notable Abilities: I ride an imaginary horse. I do the tracking and the survival and sometimes navigation.
Downtime: Wine, women, dancing.
Last Played: 2020-07-01 (To Catch a Master)

Brian L

Post by Brian L » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm

This will be depending on when it happens, I don't see an official time yet.

Also, 'Barley and blood'? You could go with the basic version, but Barley can become beer, and there are bees that make honey from meat (rotting) and honey makes mead. Barley wine and blood mead would summon the most awesome horse ever.

Name: Reyis Poriv
Date of Last Game Played: July 2
Circle: ECR-6
Discipline: Shaman (4)/Monk (2)
Unique: Spells-Buffs to Awareness, Stealth, Healing, Poison, other things.
Downtime: Animal Training (4) Step 10; Research (3) Step 19; Item History (3) Step 19; Large supply of acid and acid like ingredients.
Plays well with others and shares toys.

Shokunin

Re: LFG [6M] Yippee ai ayy yippee ai ooh. 2020 Jul 07 @2000 GMT

Post by Shokunin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:06 am

AAR: Yippee ai ayy yippee ai ooh
GM: Vlolkir
ECR: 6
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Nez: 7500 LP, 650 SP, 3 TIPs, Bonded eagle (awakened mask)
Zivilyn: 7500 LP, 650 SP, 3 TIPs, Bonded eagle (awakened mask)
Reyis: 7500 LP, 650 SP, 3 TIPs, Bonded hell hound (awakened mask)
Temur: 7500 LP, 650 SP, 3 TIPs, Bonded spirit mount (awakened mask jk its already a legit spirit)

Journal Reward: 375 LP, 162.5 SP
GM Reward: Vlolkir 19000 LP, 900 SP, 3 TIPs

Downtime:
Zivilyn Downtime: Animal Training (Talent) - Step 16 including karma (Rank 6) (can train up to 6 commands total, or improve non-combat skills by +1 per command used on it)
Research - Step 21 including karma (Rank 4). +3 to the step is available at a cost of 20 sp for access to the Great Library of Throal.
Item History - Step 15 including karma (Rank 4)

Reyis Downtime: Animal Training (4) Step 10; Research (3) Step 19; Item History (3) Step 19; Large supply of acid and acid like ingredients.
Plays well with others and shares toys.

Summary:
The adepts traveled to an astral realm of beasts through a potentially stable astral rift at the top of an archaic monument located at 50.15. They saw creatures no one has seen before, traveled with spirits in the flesh, and Temur swears up and down he saw a dragon.

Jexel

Re: LFG [6M] Yippee ai ayy yippee ai ooh. 2020 Jul 07 @2000 GMT

Post by Jexel » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:57 pm

The Written Histories of Nez and Sagarmatha

My Ork friend Temur has invited me along to secure another spirit animal. He is insistent on keeping dead mounts around and said another in his tribe could use Ayanga. As this was a momentous occasion for him I gladly came along as did Zivilyn and Reyis.

We travelled far to the south and found a mound that Temur said is associated with a sacred shrine of the horse. As we came to the mound with some standing stones we see several black robed individuals with many bones.

The black robes claim that they are guarding a place of great danger. They said that they will let us proceed and seal our own fate.

After we pass the black robed Nethermancers we come into two more concentric circles with each ring being less ornate. I tried to sense the area astrally but was unable to pierce the veil. Zivilyn informed us that there is an astral realm there with a doorway.

As we passed through the veil, Ayanga came back to life. We enter the center and top of the hill and Temur puts some offering down. Temur along with myself was expecting something to happen…..Nothing happened.

Temur then begins to perform his karma ritual but indicates that he is not being acknowledged by the spirit of the herd. We ride out into the spirit world and find a mount that is perched on by a group of giant wood lions and some opportunistic storm crows. I command one of the crows to scurry off after it strikes us with lightning and send Sagarmatha into the Lions.

Sagarmatha is very upset with me as we are the ambush predators and I sent him into an obvious trap. A third lion pounced on Sagarmatha. I rushed in and two Lions ganged up on me. After this initial flurry though the might of our group overcame the predators.

We begin to track the great herd that Temur is seeking. We came upon a great gully that had a large herd thundering down it. The herd was being pushed by a group of Hell Hounds, Dire Wolf’s and some scavenging Eagles.

The flame from the Hell Hounds were very bad but fortunately never came my way. The eagles also posed a problem again. These eagles were not as bad as the corrupted eagles but I must learn a better way of dealing with flyers that are faster than me.

I bonded with an Eagle and brought him back to Throal. Temur also connected with his new magnificent spirit mount and named her Battle Sister in his Ork Tongue. When we left the bestial spirit realm we saw a giant shadow of a dragon like creature. The black robes said there work was done. Sagarmatha is very suspicious of these black robes and thinks I should not trust them.

bronzemountain

Journal: Temur Tengerkhan

Post by bronzemountain » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Song of the Immortal Sky - Part 12.

Know that Temur, Spirit Rider of the Monkhiin-Tenger, Watcher on the Threshold, and betrothed of Tuya of the Gazar-Eeg, did break free from the bonds of this world to forge a new bond with a horse of the spirit world.

After consulting with Bijili Bone-Eye, shaman of his clan, Temur did set out to a rumored shrine nearly a week south of Throal (HEX 50.15). With him, he took three Windlings, which the Orks know as the Three Stars over the Mountain formation, a grouping most auspicious for spirit quests. The Three Stars were Zivilyn Many-Magics and Reyis of the Sleepy Spell, and also Nez the Loyal.

Know that if one is to go on a spirit quest, this is the most perfect band of heroes.

After many (Ed. Many, in this case, is five.) days of travel, the heroes did come to strangely symmetrical hillock upon the plains, which wise Zivilyn knew to be a ceremonial mound. Excited by having found what they thought to be their destination, the heroes did surge forward. They would soon find this was the beginning, not the end, of this spirit quest.

The mound was well guarded by tall trees, which shielded the earth with their verdant canopies. And also, it was guarded by a motley assemblage of Namegivers in robes of black and adornments of bone.

Know that many, if not all, Nethermancers do shop at Smoldering Subject, a store in Throal known for its robes of black and adornments of bone and also, for reasons poorly understood, corsets and lace and strange black boots. Know that any Nethermancers who mention this journal entry shall receive for their wisdom a discount of up to but no more than 15% on purchases totaling more than 50 silver. Know that ye shall act swiftly, lest this discount end before you have sucked the savings from its marrow.

These Namegivers did make claim that they were serving an ancient purpose, a mission older than the Scourge itself, and that their mission was to tend to this place and to guard against an unnamed danger.

Know that Temur well understood that the best way to guard against danger was to find it in the spaces between, and there to face it. And thus the heroes did climb the mound, beneath the sheltering canopy, and found, each older and less adorned than the previous, a series of ritual stone circles.

Know that the last of these was a simple ring of boulders, atop the mound, with space enough to enter. Know that it is the nature of Spirit Riders to traverse thresholds and gates. Know that the heroes did enter the ring, and that when they left it again, they were no longer in Throal, but in a broad ranging land of hard plains and tall grasses.

Know that these heroes, on their spirit quest, had traveled into the spirit world.
Know that there was rejoicing, for in the world of the spirit, the flesh of spirits is made real. And for the first time, Temur and Ayanga were able to meet each other as living beings of flesh and sinew and bone and blood. And, most of all, love.

Filled with wonder at this magical land, the heroes did scout ahead and travel forward. They did save a Stajian herd from the predations of a pride of lion spirits, and also did drive away the Storm Crows that scavenge nearby.

They tracked a herd of great spirit horses and found the path led into a canyon.

Know that tracks can mean the quarry lies ahead, but also might mean that the quarry has trod this path many times, and is, in point of fact, behind you and running at great speed. Know that a thousand horses running at speed is a wonderful thing that also has a great chance of rendering your bones to dust.

The Windlings did take shelter on, or behind, or before Temur, on Ayanga's strong back. And Temur did wheel away from the herd to find what had frighted them so.

Know that in the spirit world (Ed. And also in the actual world) there are great dogs that spit fire and that these are known as Hell Hounds. It was these beasts that, as is their nature, hunted the smallest and weakest and slowest of the herd. And it was these foals that the leaders of the herd, as was their nature, were desperately protecting.

Know that the heroes surged forward to battle the hounds, and also the eagles that, keen-eyed, had spotted opportunity from high above.
Know that the battle was fierce but the heroes were mighty.
Know that Temur did ride Ayanga up the face of a cliff in order to charge an eagle.
Know that this is the most badass thing Temur has ever done. Know that this scribe is asked to write it exactly that way: badass. Know that this scribe is requested to write the word three times, that it might be darker than the other words and that readers might understand just how badass it is to ride a horse up a cliff to charge an eagle.

Burned, beaked, clawed, charred, but not broken, the heroes were victorious. Temur did speak to the champions of the herd in the way he had learned from Ayanga, the way of speaking with spirits.

Know that nearly everyone in this party could speak with spirits. Know that it was mentioned above that this was the best party for a spirit quest one could assemble.

Temur did make to the great horses the gift he had been told by Bijili Bone-Eye to give. He mixed mashed barley with drops of his own blood and with respect and reverence did make an offering of it.

Know that horses do not like to eat blood, no matter what Bijili Bone-Eye says, but they do like barley just fine.
Know that one young sister of the herd, wise in the ways of battle, and full of bravery, for she had joined her dam and her sire in defending the herd, did find in Temur of the Monkhiin-Tenger a kindred spirit. For he had done the same as her.
Know that she did give him permission to name her.

Know that her name is Tulaany Egch, which has the meaning of Sister of Battle.
Know that she and Temur do ride as one.

Know that this story has ended. Know that this story continues.

Sharkforce

Re: AAR: [6M] Yippee ai ayy yippee ai ooh. 2020 Jul 07 @2000 GMT

Post by Sharkforce » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:23 pm

From the Journal of Zivilyn, Windling Magician: Yippee ai ayy yippee ai ooh

Well, the time has finally come. Temur has been talking for some time about an up-and-coming young Ork in his tribe that is showing indications of being another Spirit Rider (more or less... he was using a lot of Or'zet words, but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant). This lucky Ork would be able to call on Ayanga, which of course meant that Temur would need to secure a new spirit steed ally because not even a Spirit can be in two places at one time, being ridden by two different Orks (Ayanga is fast, but not *that* fast).

I am glad that he invited me to come along. It will give me a chance to send off Ayanga, who has shared many adventures with us, and also to meet his new steed. Being a quest of a spiritual nature, he brought along not just one but two Shamans (the other one being Reyis), and Nez. So that's three Windlings, all of whom can see astral space, plus Sagarmatha (Nez's Crojen, which he seems to think has the spirit of his old animal companion... although if that is true, I'm not sure I'd have wanted to meet his old animal companion because new Sagarmatha gets a little fixated on ripping things to pieces once she gets a taste for them) who can see the astral. And of course, while Nez is not skilled with Spirits as much, he is skilled with beasts. Temur has definitely done some planning on this one.

Well, his tribe also has a Shaman, who had directed him to go way off to the south and a little east, to find a shrine to the Horse Spirits. The directions were a little vague (as near as I can tell, a little south and otherwise to the east of Kampung Gaja), but fortunately the location was pretty obvious once we got close, being the only hill in an area that was mostly plains, and also being covered in trees (which I speculate may have grown from the trees in the Spirit Realm, or vice versa; there might be something interesting to study there). The shrine was fairly ancient, and showed signs of having been used by succeeding generations of Namegivers; it had several rings of standing stones, with the innermost ring being just boulders with a gap in it and the outermost being impressively carved Menhirs.

We also met a bunch of what appeared to be Nethermancers, based on their clothing, who said they were performing rituals to keep dangerous stuff in. Nethermancers, go figure; terrified of the dangers of a horse shrine, but they refuse to admit they're afraid of Horrors. Well, they decided it was ok to let us go into the 'dangerous' area, and when we got to the top of the hill and went into the ring in the center, it was pretty nice. A little bit of searching around revealed that we had appeared in some sort of Astral Realm, a spirit world, filled with trees and rocks and mountains and rivers and plains and a volcano and all kinds of animals. Frankly, it was pretty nice there. Not once did I get attacked by a horde of ghouls, or have to face angry corrupted spirits intent on torturing me to death, or corrupted poisonous eagles that fly faster than arrows and hit harder than bears, or cultists of a mad passion.

If you ask me, those Nethermancers have it all backwards. There is definitely a horrible place that has an uncomfortable number of corrupted awful things on one side of that hill, but I'm pretty sure it's *our* side. Of course, I didn't know this at the time, so I decided I'd leave Jolly Jumper to find a good hiding place and browse on the greenery. Anyways, when we went through, it was nice to meet Ayanga as a horse after all this time. Temur had been told to offer barley and blood to bond with a new mount, so he put some barley down and spilled some of his blood on it... but I'm pretty sure his Shaman got some bad advice somewhere down the line, because the only horse spirit around was Ayanga, and she was about as interested in the blood as I was (which is to say, not very), although she did appreciate the barley. I also discovered that Temur keeps his pockets filled with sugar cubes, which explains why Pepper has been putting on weight. He looks plenty tough, but he's got a real soft spot for horses.

Well, anyways, the hill top was not our final destination it seems. We headed out into the spirit world, and saw all kinds of Beast Spirits doing Beast Spirit things. It was a beautiful place; I should like to visit again some time, and meet some more of the Spirits that live there. Maybe have a little discussion with certain leopards about how to position them for better pouncing or something. Then again, they might take offense, and I'd rather they don't decide to use me for practice, so maybe not.

Well, anyways, we saw lots of beasts, but no horses, or at least not yet, which meant we had some work to do. Fortunately, we had an abundance of trackers with us, so we got down to the business of searching, and had the misfortune to encounter some wood lions that were clearly not satisfied with the stajian they had hunted. I'm not usually one to complain about spirits, but these ones must've been real gluttons because they had more than enough meat, if you ask me. Anyways, they saw us and decided we'd make a good meal, or maybe they just enjoy hunting or thought we were there to steal their food (in fairness, I honestly was curious what Spirit Stajian would taste like, but I wasn't about to take on a pride of lions just to find out).

They hit us hard, but we hit back harder. They also had a couple of crows with them that shot lightning at us, and then flew off when they noticed that it wasn't working very well for them. Sagarmatha and Nez took a bit of a beating, as did Fluffy, but we were in good enough shape after a hero's feast of heated stajian (it wasn't too bad, but once we left the Spirit Realm I got really hungry, probably because it all turned into spirit stuff). Overall, pretty much what you'd expect from large cats, I'd say.

We continued looking for horses, and just like the last time Temur and I went looking we found traces of them headed for water. There was a lake in the area, and you had to go through these sort of gorges to reach them. Very twisty with narrow passages and high walls, but lucky for us we didn't need to worry about getting lost because we were following the tracks of a huge herd of horses, which is not a hard thing to do.

Alas, nothing is ever as easy as it seems. The sound of Ayanga's hooves bouncing off the walls was getting unusually loud and echo-y, so I looked behind us and sure enough, there was the herd, running from something and looking like they were going to trample us. I am very grateful that I had the foresight to quicken the pace of our group, because I think Howler and Fluffy and Sagarmatha would have probably been trampled by what would otherwise have been a faster-moving stampede. Ayanga is very swift, and she ably navigated her way through the herd towards the back to see what was causing it. We found a relatively clear spot in the lee of a stone column and waited for the herd to pass, and saw flames spouting into the air, with the lead stallion and mare leading a few healthy adults at the back to keep their predators at bay while their young foals did their best not to get left behind.

Of course, we had not come all that way to just let the herd be attacked; that is hardly the way to make friends (I mean, could you imagine asking for someone's help when you just stood there and watched them get eaten?), so we stepped in to lend a hand. There was a pack of hell hounds and dire wolfs at the back, driving the herd and burning some of them. And also, there were eagles, which I think were just looking for opportunities to eat whatever they could of the aftermath. These eagles were much less unpleasant than the last eagles I faced though. They were more or less like you'd expect; dangerous when they can dive on you, but not that tough, and they can't swoop in 30 yards, hit you, and swoop out 30 yards before you get a chance to respond, or poison you, or anything like that. Personally, I was just glad I wasn't going to have to face spirit crocodiles, like I did the *last* time I helped Temur find some horses. Hell hounds are pretty dangerous too, of course, but when was the last time you heard of a hell hound latching onto someone with a bite that can snap a small boat in half and then drag them into the water (*shudder*) to drown to death? I'll take the hell hounds any day of the week, thanks.

This time, I remembered to take my own advice and focus on strengthening those around me. I've gotten so used to being surrounded by magicians that I've forgotten what I'm best at. With the reflexes of a ferret and an astral shield for protection, and the guidance of a wolf pack leading our attacks, we made short work of them. There were some injuries, but it wasn't too bad, and we were able to make some new friends. Well, sort of friends, we'll have to work on that. Nez and I bonded some eagles, Reyis bonded one of the hell hounds, and Temur's magic was not strong enough to befriend one of the beasts we had fought, but he was able to befriend a powerful Horse Spirit, so really I'd say he got the better end of the deal. The eagles and hell hound weren't ready for Naming just yet, I think... maybe after they're ready to learn what their own name is and answer to it.

Temur went to parlay with the Lead Stallion, who seemed pleased to learn that the scourge was (mostly) ended, and that they could return and roam the plains. I suppose this world has been their kaer, for lack of a better way to put it, which goes to show that we could've done with more listening to the Spirits 400 years ago. Their home for the scourge had vast open skies, sunlight, fresh air, wind, really everything you could want. Meanwhile, I was raised in a dark, dank hole in the ground with not much room to spread my wings, and that's from the perspective of a Windling... I don't know how you big folks can stand it.

The lead stallion motioned for a young foal to come up and meet Temur, who again offered blood and barley, and again proved that horses like barley quite a bit, and are not at all interested in blood. He Named her Tulaany Egch (I admit I had to get someone to spell that for me; in Throalic it means "Battle Sister") on the spot, in honour of the battle we had just fought, and we headed back through the network of canyons, came out to the plains, and headed for the hill we had entered by. We returned to our own world by going up the hill and back out the standing stone rings, and met the Nethermancers again, who seemed quite surprised to see us. I told them that the other side was actually quite pleasant, and we went on our merry way without worrying too much about Nethermancers that are afraid of Horse Spirits. They said they were quite confident that they had locked up the "dangerous" stuff that was at the top of the hill. Imagine a bunch of Nethermancers that are afraid of a spirit realm with perfectly ordinary animals living in it. Well, almost perfectly ordinary; further study has revealed that the eagle I brought back can see into the astral. Of course, so can Windlings, so no big deal, really.

Of course, there was also some large flying creature that passed above us when we came out. Temur says it was a dragon... I say I'm not really sure, but you don't get free drinks for telling a story about the time an espagra or wyvern flew over your head. I will say, if it *was* a dragon then I'm glad I'm not wearing my wyvernskin armour yet... I've heard dragons get annoyed about that sort of thing. Then again, Nez had some on, and nothing swooped down from the sky to have a serious discussion about his choice in protective wear, so I guess I might've been safe either way. And who knows, maybe it was just some other very large flying winged reptilian creature.