AAR: [3H] To Catch a Zoak (2020-06-28@21:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

etherial
AAR: [3H] To Catch a Zoak (2020-06-28@21:00 GMT)

Post by etherial » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:46 am

LFG: To Catch a Zoak
Time: 2020-06-28@21:00 GMT
GM: etherial
Circle: 3
Difficulty: Hard

Rumor: Deep in the Servos Jungle lies a mysterious creature. Part bat. Part bird. All attitude. Suitable as a mount for Windlings. Can you find it? Can you tame it!?

Characters will be able to keep any animals they manage to subdue and befriend this adventure as well as earning the friendship of the Righteous and Noble Fraternity for the Research of Creatures Varied and Exotic.

sigfriedmcwild

Re: LFG: [3H] To Catch a Zoak (2020-06-28@21:00 GMT)

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:51 am

This is a secondary character, but my request
Name: Elisen
Last played on: 2020-06-25
ECR: 3 (2310LP)
Discipline: Cavalryman 3
Quote/Unique: Deliverance flies on silent wind
Notable Abilities: I believe I can fly, also am tiny
Downtime: Animal training step 14 (10 + karma)
Last edited by sigfriedmcwild on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 pm

Name: Mazor
Date Player last played: June 18th.
ECR: 3
Discipline: Beastmaster 3rd, Windling
Quote/Unique: The night is dark, and full of Horrors.
Notable Abilities: Claw Shape & Pet Tricks.
Downtime: None
Secondary character.

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Name: A'horangi Ha'hana Syrtis
ECR: 3
Discipline: Monk
Quote/Unique: "Respectfully, I must now punch you."
Notable Abilities: Very polite dinosaur.
Downtime: Research 1/16 (+3 for 20sp), Item History 1/16
Last Game Played: 2020-06-18 (Outfox the Foxels) (will have changed by the time adventure runs)
This is a secondary character. Please prioritize primaries.

LadyDragoon

Post by LadyDragoon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:00 pm

Name: Azurea
Last Played: June 22 2020
Circle: ECR 3
Discipline: Shadow (3)
Unique: Happy go lucky attitude (or as some may call me Cheerful Sneaky Murder)
Downtime: Nothing:

Lashana

Post by Lashana » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:51 am

Name: LaShana
Last Played: June 18 2020
Circle: ECR 3
Discipline: thief
Unique: enthusiasm, sooooo much enthusiasm- and maybe some talky talky shooty shooty thrown in.
Downtime: advancing some talents. And circling up 😁

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 am

All aboard the Zoak catching train!

etherial

Re: AAR: [3H] To Catch a Zoak (2020-06-28@21:00 GMT)

Post by etherial » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:38 am

To Catch a Zoak
Time: 2020-06-28@21:00 GMT
GM: etherial
Circle: 3
Difficulty: H

Player Rewards:
A'horangi: TIPs: 3, Legend: 2000, Silver: 413
Azurea: TIPs: 3, Legend: 2000, Silver: 413
Elisen: TIPs: 3, Legend: 2000, Silver: 413
LaShana: TIPs: 3, Legend: 2000, Silver: 413
Mazor: TIPs: 3, Legend: 2000, Silver: 413

Journal Rewards:
Legend: 100, Silver: 104.3

GM Reward:
Daldorer: TIPs: 3, Legend: 7500, Silver: 650

Downtime Actions Available:
Character Name: [Talent] [Step] ([Rank]) ([Further Details])
Researchers may spend 20 Silver for +3 Steps (the Haggle discount may lower this cost)
A'horangi: Item History 16 (Rank 1)
A'horangi: Research 16 (Rank 1)
Elisen: Animal Training 14 (Rank 3)

Further Information:
The Ironbark Grove Day Spa is now open for business!

ChrisDDickey

Re: AAR: [3H] To Catch a Zoak (2020-06-28@21:00 GMT)

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:08 am

From the journal of Mazor, windling beastmaster of the 3rd circle.

Elisen, an up and coming windling who follows the discipline of the cavalryman, has been asking around as to where wild Zoaks might be captured. He heard a tip that some particularly fine creatures had been spotted near Iron Delve. He asked around if anybody else might be interested in trying to capture some of them, and I immediately accepted. Accompanying us was LaShana Tumblesprout, a most fetching windling thief (thus making a majority windling party!) and Tumblesprouts very good friend Azurea, a troll Shadow. Also joining us windlings was A'horanngi, a T'Skrang Monk. 

We were a merry party as we traveled along, with many a quip and jest to while away the miles. Not far from the Delve, we spotted 4 metal infused Apes, we did not spot their pack leader, a huge ape the locals call Titano, fortunately Titano was taken out of the fight by an early knockout blow, and the rest of his tribe were unable to prevail against us. We left most of them unconscious in our wake. 

At Iron Delve, I briefly made the acquaintance of the lovely Ethrillia, a windling beastmaster of some renown. She was able to tell us the location of the flock of Zoak, but warned us that the route was blocked by a nest of giant spiders.Weaver Spiders the size of a troll. They were also Wood infused. She called them Verdant Weaver Spiders. We arrived at the nest with a plan to slowly and carefully proceed in single file careful of the webs we knew to be in the area. Unfortunately A'horangi and LaShana both managed to wander off and get trapped in widely separated webs at the same time. Azurea wisely freed LaShana from her web immediately, but I foolishly decided to attack the spider attacking A'horangi. My attacks were not potent enough to keep the nearby spiders from attacking A'horangi, and she was poisoned. By the time I finally thought to free her, she was too far gone with a paralytic poison to fight. The others were killing the spiders quite well and I was not, so I contributed by going into a defensive stance and drawing all of the attacks I could. The spiders kept attacking and missing me, and the others kept killing them. By the time the 4th spider fell, LaShana had also succumbed to paralysis poison,, but we were victorious. 

After resting a bit our comrades recovered and we proceeded into the grotto, where we found a good flock of Zoaks, some were unusually large and strong. I waited until Elisen bonded with the Zoak of his choice, then bonded with one of my own. With Elisen's help LaShana also managed to adopt a champion. I named my Zoak Mok and have been bonding with  him and attempting to teach him how to serve as a mount, however I feel that nether of us will be ready to adventure together for some time, probably not until I have attained 4th circle. 

bronzemountain

Field Notes of A'horangi Ha'hana Syrtis, Vol. 1

Post by bronzemountain » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Entry 6.

Elisen wishes to bond with a Zoak; not just any Zoak, but a Zoak of Unusual Capability. A ZOUC, as it were. They have done initial research and have identified one Ironbark Grove as a local natural wonder - a place where natural beasts are imbued with surprising elemental fortifications. They decide this is a good place to start.

I concur. Ironbark most interesting. Not a mystery of Namegivers, and one well explored, but still a mystery of the land. A wonder. I will go.
Also attending: Mazor the Beastmaster, LaShana the Thief, and Azurea the Shadow. Surprising number of Windlings. Promise of Zoaks (ZOUCs) impossible to resist.

For the most part, travel is comfortable. Stop by Skyreader Island. More Windlings, leaving peacefully with T'skrang. Our band writ large. Good.

As we enter grove, attacked by Iron-infused apes. Territorial and fierce. They throw dragonfruit with iron skin at us. (Sample attached.). Elisen, Mazor, LaShana, and I engage the main body of apes. A giant ape appears. Colleagues name it Titano. Massive steel primate.

Azurea murders it in seconds. I barely register its presence before it falls to the ground with a sound like an anvil falling from a great distance.

We collect items of interest, including Iron-infused teeth, nails, hair, etc. (Samples attached.)

Come to Irondelve, settlement established by those who have exited nearby Kaer. They have an exquisitely beautiful pool. Lagoon, really. Waters are clear and mineral rich. Full of health and comfort. I swim, as I have not in quite some time, and am refreshed. Recommend to settlers that perhaps they make this spring a feature of their settlement. A feature for others to visit. Travelers will come from far and wide to soak in the mineral pool of Irondelve.

Elisen and Mazor interact with Aethryllia, local Windling Beastmaster. She is highly interested in mating. Elisen seems uninterested. Mazor is perhaps willing but intimidated? Not clear. Hard to tell with mammalian Namegivers, let alone Windlings. She indicates that Zoaks nest beyond a clutter of spiders. Large spiders - Troll sized and infused with wood. We indicate that we will happily accompany Elisen; they are pleased.

Azurea takes a bath.

We travel to the grove the clutter occupies. In my fascination with the area, I do not see the nearly invisible webs these arachnids have woven. Invisible, but very strong. I am caught, as is LaShana. Aethryllia's obvious fear of these spiders is explained. Being trapped not pleasant. I am bitten. Venom courses through my veins. Interesting feeling, like burning. Muscles begin to spasm, starting at point of bite and expanding outwards. Finally, muscles everywhere locked.

I am paralyzed. This process takes approximately 12 to 15 seconds. Fortunately, long practice with meditation and posture leaves me standing so I am able to watch the pieces of battle that pass into my field of view.

Paralysis most relaxing, strangely. Cannot move. Am forced by magical spiders to center, be still, experience the moment without interacting with it. Grateful to spiders. (Venom samples, bark samples from spider chitin attached.

Friends do well defeating spiders without my assistance. Ironically, because of paralysis, spiders left me alone. I am very nearly unwounded. Much to contemplate regarding observation vs. action and the utility of inaction.

Further on, Zoaks have claimed a large tree as a communal nest. Cluster there like crows. Clearly intelligent, noisy, brash. Some are larger and more intelligent than others. Seem to be a cross of reptilian and avian. (Crude drawings.)

Elizen begins modified mating ritual with one large, curious Zoak. Offers food. Flutters wings in attractive fashion. Flies and spins through the air in demonstration of aerial ability and finesse. (Diagram of steps, spirals, swoops, dives.). Zoak appears impressed. They move away to deepen relationship.

Mazor and LaShana follow in similar fashion. Much puffing up of chests, attempts to look larger, demonstrate utility as provider, bravado as aerialist. Zoaks continue to be impressed. Friendships are forged.

Most interesting outing, with information of great use to naturalists, and also to those who examine the self and the self's role in the world. Very satisfying.