AAR:[7H] Knowledge is it's own reward (2020-06-29 @ 23:59 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Xzandrate
AAR:[7H] Knowledge is it's own reward (2020-06-29 @ 23:59 GMT)

Post by Xzandrate » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:33 pm

LFG: Knowledge is it's own reward
Time: 2020-06-29 @ 23:59 GMT (8pm EDT)
GM: Xzandrate
Difficulty: 7 Hard

Rumor: A recently cataloged pre-scourge journal noted that a cache of rare tomes, scrolls and the like were stashed in a safe location. With the distance to this place being so far away the Scholars of Throal have asked some of the powerful adepts (who have come to the library not for research but to learn) to seek the books out, as a test to join their scholarly ranks.

Requestor: Jael
Reward: Path Training Scholar, discounted knowledge skill training.
Benefit: Expanded knowledge for the Great Library.
Last edited by Xzandrate on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ottdmk

Re: LFG [7H] Knowledge is it's own reward (2020-06-29 @ 23:59 GMT)

Post by ottdmk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:47 am

Name: Dubhan Goronich
Date of Last Game Played (by player): 2020-06-22
Circle: 8 (ECR 8, 200,070 legend)
Discipline: Wizard
Unique: Spells (Buffs, Astral Sensing, Debuffs, etc.), Physician
Downtime: Research Step 24 (Don't bother with Library access)
Alchemy Step 11 (Booster Potions, Small Light Crystals, Kelix' Poultice) (2 Days Downtime).
Creation of Spell Matrix Objects: 5 days Downtime, 1,000 sp for Standard, 2,000 sp for Enhanced (Craft True Pattern Step 28). And yes, that's the 1/2 off price. :D
Design Enchanting Pattern: Minimum 4 TIPs, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details
Craft True Pattern (i.e. create Thread Item): Requires a Pattern. 3 TIPs minimum, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:11 am

Name: Dvarim Bolg
ECR: 8
Discipline: Weaponsmith / Elementalist
Quote/Unique: "Well, that ain't right."
Notable Abilities: Physician, Lock Pick, Chiseled Dwarven Good Looks
Downtime: Forge Weapon 8/19, Item History 4/15, Forge Armor 8/19
Last Game Played: 2020-06-19 (A Very Useful Deed)

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:19 am

Name: Sandrin
Effective Circle Rating: 6 (40,545 LP)
Discipline: Air Sailor 5 / Troubadour 1
Unique: Melee, Social, Thrown, and Navigation
Last Time Played: 6/17/2020

Downtime: Craft Weapon at Step 7 (Rank 1) (Weapons up to Damage 2, 1 Day per Size)
Item History at Step 12 (Rank 2)
Research at Step 9

nathaniel

Post by nathaniel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:48 am

Name: Jael
ECR: 7
Last Game: does it matter?
Discipline: Beastmaster
Notable Abilities: Pets, Punching and Grappling
Downtime: Animal Training (Rank 8) 18
Last edited by nathaniel on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

etherial

Post by etherial » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:54 pm

Name: Daldorer
Last Game Played:2020-06-25
Effective Circle: 6
Discipline: Nethermancer
Quote/Unique: Daddy can make you feel better
Notable Abilities: Physician, Death's Head, Dust to Dust
Downtime: Alchemy Step 7. Recipes: Booster Potion and Small Light Quartz

Note: I am this close to be ready for Scholar Initiation. Not sure if you/we want to run two separate adventures or let me qualify now.

nathaniel

Post by nathaniel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Daldorer, Sandrin, and Dubhan join me on a trip to go pick up some books.

Xzandrate

AAR[7H] Knowledge is it's own reward (2020-06-29 @ 23:59 GMT)

Post by Xzandrate » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:15 am

AAR: Knowledge is its own reward (2020-06-29)
GM: Xzandrate
ECR: 7
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
Jael: 20,000 LP, 1163 SP, 5 TIP's
Dubhan: 20,000 LP, 1163 SP, 5 TIPs
Daldorer: 20,000 LP, 1163 SP, 5TiP's
Sandrin: 20,000 LP, 1163 SP, 5TiP's

Induction into the Scholar Path available.
Discounted Perception/Willpower Training

Journal Reward: +1000 LP, +290.8 SP
GM Reward: Lazulin (200 LP, 150 SP, 3 TIPs)

Downtime:
Dubhan - Research Step 24 (Don't bother with Library access)
Alchemy Step 11 (Booster Potions, Small Light Crystals, Kelix' Poultice) (2 Days Downtime).
Creation of Spell Matrix Objects: 5 days Downtime, 1,000 sp for Standard, 2,000 sp for Enhanced (Craft True Pattern Step 28). And yes, that's the 1/2 off price. :D
Design Enchanting Pattern: Minimum 4 TIPs, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details
Craft True Pattern (i.e. create Thread Item): Requires a Pattern. 3 TIPs minimum, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details

Sandrin - Craft Weapon at Step 7 (Rank 1) (Weapons up to Damage 2, 1 Day per Size)
Item History at Step 12 (Rank 2)
Research at Step 9

Jael - Animal Training (Rank 8) 18

Daldorer - Alchemy Step 7. Recipes: Booster Potion and Small Light Quartz

Summary:
The PCs have travelled to a temple containing a cache of pre-scourge knowledge on Rashamon for Semyon Targalig. They encountered a number of bizarre creatures and were left over the corpses of two dead children. They collected all the books they could and returned to Semyon, who agreed to take any on as apprentices.
Last edited by Xzandrate on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dougansf

Re: AAR:[7H] Knowledge is it's own reward (2020-06-29 @ 23:59 GMT)

Post by Dougansf » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:40 pm

The Adventures of Sandrin
Chapter 11 - The Dancing Librarians

Jael discovered a lead on a hidden library in the Southern Caucavic Mountains. Likely linked to the worship of Roshamon before the Scourge. Naturally, he came to me to help find the way there. He also brought Dubhan and Daldorer along expecting magical entanglements.

We head up to Sosanopa and take the river down to the valley below the mountain range. As we go past the edge of a cliff, when the Griffon asks to go after a rabbit in the rocks. She steps through the face of the rock. Jael approaches and puts his hand through the illusion wall as well. The cliff is actually 20 yards away from our location, and there’s a passageway heading down. The inside is a lush green alcove. Dubhan notices the Astral is Tainted.

There’s an entryway with statues around them. I spot them breathing and they’re actually Gargoyles. Talking to them in Throalic and Sperethiel doesn’t get much response. Daldorer speaks to them in Theran, and gets a mild response. We determine that the defense likely requires us to bear an item representing Rashomon, a crown of horn for example. Dubhan recreates some symbols using embroidery based on what Daldorer and I saw at the Cloister of Silence. Unfortunately, this doesn't prove good enough for the guardians, and they move to attack him. Shortly after we've engaged, two large Espagra swoop down to take advantage of distracted would-be meals. Despite their frosty breath, they prove little more than a distraction after Daldorer Frightens them properly.

After slaying all the creatures, we take some time to recover. Daldorer's magic helps tremendously.

We go through the doors the Gargoyles were defending. On the other side, there’s a large stone with blood on it and a corpse right next to it. The blood is words telling us to turn back and run. The corpse has corroded armor and weapons. The blood has some sort of Pattern. Apparently some Sacrifice magic went into this last act. We continue down the corridor. We see some loose rocks ahead that may be a trap. I tell Jael to step back and start throwing some more debris at the spot until a pit opens, causing a cave-in covering a large area with rubble. Dubhan takes the time to attune his Grimoire to the Lighten Load spell and casts it on the debris. We start clearing the debris away. Ten minutes later we’re well over halfway through the pile when Dubhan has attuned Giant Size to cast on me and Jael. We make short work of the rest of the stones.

Halfway down the corridor, we see a skeleton in the middle of the floor. Dubhan notices a glowing line just above the floor at the other end of the corridor. He Dispels it at maximum range. Jael continues down the corridor. When he crosses the line into the next room, he starts hearing a rattling sound. Jael jumps out of the way as mantrap closes at the spot he was in. Across the room is two doors. Daloder checks them and we move through.

On the other side, the corridor cuts left, then quickly to the right. It snakes its way around like this multiple times. Daloder scouts our way through the hall, and finds no more traps. As he enters the room at the end of the hallway, there is a glow in the center of the room, followed by the sound of grinding gears. At each of the doorways in the serpentine hallway, there is now a wall of spears. Jael, Dubhan, and Selena are hit by spears, but unharmed. A rune in the middle of the room emanates a fog filling most of the room. Daldorer hears nasty voices within the fog. There’s scratching sounds on the other side of the fog.

While Dubhan dispels the fog, I break through the spears in the way.
By the time the sound arrives in the form of four Brutes, we’re all in the same room ready for them. Jael rushes them before they can make it through the doorway. I moved in on the other side of the group to solidify the gap. A good thing too. Shortly afterward, two Changelings fly in behind the Brutes and start trying to use their cruel magics upon Jael. Daldorer determines the Brutes are undead and makes short work of them using Dust to Dust. Dubhan also brings Hypervelocity to bear against the Changelings, bringing the fight to a rapid close.

We take a few minutes to cast Recovery and heal up before going through the doors the monsters came from.

We step through the doors and enter a large library. Something flies past us and a blinding flash goes off. Suddenly there’s a large ice wall splitting the party, but Dubhan and Daldorer are on both sides of the wall. There are also 2 children dancing on both sides of the glass.

Jael looks around confused, then attacks one of the children. I engage one of the children in their dance, but fail to make a proper connection with them. Something Cursed my Luck, ruining my rhythm.
We soon realize that the Dubhan on my side of the ice, and the Daldorer on Jaels side are in fact Horrors feeding off our magic and fear. Once our priorities are straightened out, we make quick work of them.

The library is large, beautiful, and intact. We take care as we peruse and find some of the choice materials to liberate to Throal.

ottdmk

Re: AAR:[7H] Knowledge is it's own reward (2020-06-29 @ 23:59 GMT)

Post by ottdmk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 pm

From the journal of Dubhan Goronich:

Sometimes, people surprise you.

I've known Jael the Beastmaster for quite some time now. Fantastic fighter, phenomenal animal trainer. I never suspected that he had scholarly ambitions. As it turns out, he does, and approached me to assist him on a quest as part of joining the Scholar Path. Along with us came Daldorer, a Nethermancer I'd met once before, and Sandrin, whom I had not. Interesting fellow... an Air Sailor who recently initiated as a Troubadour.

It all tied into the Cloister of Silence, so I knew we were going to be in trouble. Plus, it was a job from Semyon Tarligig... doubly troubling. Still, when a friend asks for help, you help. So, off we went.

Thanks to Jael's griffon, we found a hidden entrance. Although we tried to get past the gargoyle guards peacefully, that did not happen. On top of that, a couple of mountain espagra joined in hoping to pick off stragglers.

Then, we had to pick our way through a number of trapped corridors. I was really wishing that William had joined us before we were done. At the end of the traps we were faced with a brute squad and two changelings. I hate Changelings. They resisted my first attempt to perforate them, but I got in a few good licks.

The final problem was in the library we came to find. Two dancing children... I think. I'd encountered their type before. Plus, some kind of a mirror wall that seemed to duplicate myself and Daldorer. It was all very confusing. We eventually persevered through sheer brute force. Books in hand, we returned to Throal to a grateful Tarligig.