Concise Casting only w/ Spellcasting?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Concise Casting only w/ Spellcasting?

Post by The Undying » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:40 am

Currently as written, can Concise Casting be used when Threadweaving as a Standard Action or only when Spellcasting as a Standard Action? If it doesn't support Threadweaving, I would HIGHLY suggest changing it so it does. I think this would ALMOST entirely eliminate the heartburn associated with "losing turns" Threadweaving

Tattered Rags

Re: Concise Casting only w/ Spellcasting?

Post by Tattered Rags » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:32 pm

I hope I'm not doing something wrong here, but here's the text from the Kickstarter early draft release.
Kickstarter early draft, subject to revision, please don't get mad at me, Fasa wrote: The magician can cast more than one spell in a round. After making a Spellcasting test to cast a spell, the adept may make a Concise Casting test to cast an additional spell. The second spell must not require any threads to be woven, but may have any legal target.
Spells cast with this talent use the caster’s Concise Casting rank in place of Spellcasting rank for determining relevant spell characteristics (e.g., duration).
We've brought up the Talent enough, I figured we should have the text.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:12 pm

I think there's been a tweak to the text since the early release I sent out. Not at a handy place to check, though (removing the "no threads" requirement, IIRC)

The intention is to allow a second spell to be cast the same round, not to allow casting the same round the last thread is woven. Additional talents may allow some flexibility there, but not from the straight talent as written.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Sorry my intent was not clear. I was more thinking "cast quick spells while weaving different big spell." Something like:

Turn 1: Threadweaving a Thread 6 spell, Concise Cast different 0 Thread spell.
Turn 2: Threadweaving a Thread 6 spell, Concise Cast different 0 Thread spell.
Turn 3: Threadweaving a Thread 6 spell, Concise Cast different 0 Thread spell.
Turn 4: Spellcasting the Thread 6 spell, Concise Castinng different 0 Thread spell.

As written, it looks like Concise Casting can't do this. I think it would be incredibly good if it did. At least for me, being able to cast every turn that I am doing a MAGICAL thing (basically Threadweaving and Spellcasting) would all but eliminate my heartburn about "wasted turns" Threadweaving.

(Just as a preemptive statement: yes, I understand, Threadweaving rounds aren't "wasted." But they are incredibly boring for the player. Moreover, in many cases with the spells available, the player is actually better of taking different spells or casting base versions without Threadweaving becomes the tirn(s) lost do not offer sufficient gain.)