Suppress Curse

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Belenus
Suppress Curse

Post by Belenus » Wed May 27, 2020 10:29 am

Hello together,

has anyone ever found a use for the talent Suppress Curse? Since it only lasts a few rounds and takes a action to use, I never found a reason to use it at all.
If it's a spell, it's better to just neutralize it completely.
If it's a curse, it normally lasts several hours or even days and suppressing it for just a few rounds normally doesn't help anything (I'd prefere the -1 on any attribute in combat than using a whole turn to try to suppress it for example).
If it's an horrors ability, they normally last much longer too and most of the time the fight doesn't last long enough to use it in combat, because one of the groups (enemy or your own) are already dead.

Btw: I thought there was a talent knack (or something like that), that you can neutralize a curse. But I can't find it anymore. :?

Greetings
Belenus

ChrisDDickey

Re: Suppress Curse

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed May 27, 2020 5:14 pm

It is kind of situational. Suppress Curse lasts for Rank Rounds. Often you just need it to last until the end of the fight, and it might not matter so much if the effect comes back again. Yes if you have both Dispel Magic and Suppress Curse, and somebody is under only one spell effect, then Dispel Magic is the better choice.
Suppress Curse works against all the debuffs a character has, so if suffering from 3 or 4 things, this gets rid of them all.
Moreover, Dispel Magic is useless against most horror, creature, and Questor powers. Suppress Curse works against almost all of those, and like I said, normally it only needs to work until the end of the fight.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Wed May 27, 2020 6:32 pm

If I had to choose between one or the other of dispel magic and suppress curse, I'd take suppress curse. both have uses. but suppress curse pretty much works on anything. sure, it doesn't do permanent removal of curses. but it gets rid of all the curses on a target.

dispel magic is generally better at removing buffs on enemy targets, I suppose, but I'd much rather be able to suppress all the horrible things an enemy might do to my party most of the time.

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Thu May 28, 2020 8:39 pm

Is "Suppress Curse" able to temporarily suppress a Horror Mark?

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Thu May 28, 2020 9:06 pm

TheOracle wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:39 pm
Is "Suppress Curse" able to temporarily suppress a Horror Mark?
I would say that a Horror Mark qualifies as a Negative Magical Effect, so yes.
However the suppression would only be temporary (but maybe long enough to kill the horror). I am not certain how to calculate the "Dispel Difficulty" of a Horror Mark, I imagined it might be unusually high. Or maybe it is just the detection difficulty that is high, you don't need to detect the horror mark to suppress it.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Thu May 28, 2020 11:56 pm

I'm personally reluctant to allow that.

A Horror Mark is supposed to be a big deal, and allowing a Novice-tier talent to turn off the negative consequences -- even if only for a few rounds -- feels overpowered.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com