A few more spirit questions.

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lamoron
A few more spirit questions.

Post by Lamoron » Sun May 17, 2020 9:52 pm

So our Troll got his arm withered last session, and I (Nethermancer 5) don't have access to reverse withering, so I was trying to figure something out since we're in the middle of nowhere with a long mission in front of us.

I know it's possible to define which talents/powers a summoned spirit has, by raising the summoning difficulty, so I can summon an Ally spirit with Nethermancy, but I don't see an option to define it further so I can summon one with Reverse Withering. Is there an option for that hidden in a book somewhere?

Secondly and unrelated. Can I summon a random unnamed spirit again, so I get the same one a second time, or can I name spirits to get around this, so I can summon the same spirit multiple times if I like it's power set?

etherial

Re: A few more spirit questions.

Post by etherial » Sun May 17, 2020 10:49 pm

1) You can specify Spells. I imagine your GM, even if they won't let you specify/receive Reverse Withering, will let the Ally Spirit help you in some questy form.

2) You are a Namegiver. If you want to summon the same spirit again and it doesn't have a Name, Give it a Name.

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Sun May 17, 2020 11:17 pm

Where do you see that specifying spells is an option?

etherial

Post by etherial » Sun May 17, 2020 11:49 pm

Lamoron wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:17 pm
Where do you see that specifying spells is an option?
Sorry, I meant "Spells", not "[This specific spell]".

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sun May 17, 2020 11:51 pm

Well, you can specify that you want the spirit to have a specific power (in this case, the 'Spell' power, GM p:374). This add +2 to the summoning difficulty AND, since its a 5th Circle spell, you'd need a spirit with a strength rating of at least 5 meaning that the summoner need to have at least Rank 5 in his Summoning talent or the whole point is moot.

The rule do not specifically says that you can decide which Spell is available with the Spell Power but it does not say that you can't either. So this would be ultimately up to the GM and/or up to you to keep on summoning spirits with that Power until you get one with the correct spell.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun May 17, 2020 11:55 pm

Spirits give the GM a lot of discretion.

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Tue May 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks people.